Pennant....

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Sabre » Fri Apr 20, 2007 12:39 pm

JoeTerp wrote:my guess is that if Rafa goes with a 442 the midfield will be Gerrard, Mascherano, Alonso and Riise.  I really solid midfield but not super creative.  but he could also go with a 451 with pennant and riise on the wings and alonso, mascherano and gerrard

That makes a lot of sense.

I think that a 4-4-1-1 would be nice for Shítford away, with Pennant on the right and Riise as LM. To have possesion, to get them frustrated because they need a goal, and then score. Scoring away is necessary.

Despite being very criticised the 4-4-1-1, when we have used it we've got a, 0-0 away, 2-0 at home (admittedly changing the formation after the half time) and a 4-1 against Arsenal. So we can say about this formation that we concede few goal chances, which might be good for playing away provided we score a goal, and I think we will.

In Anfield I'd play the classic 4-4-2 of Rafa (there are many 4-4-2 actually)

On topic bit: I always believed in Pennant. But then, I believe even in Mark Gonzalez :D
Last edited by Sabre on Fri Apr 20, 2007 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Stu.Murph » Fri Apr 20, 2007 12:43 pm

puroresu wrote:He is playing better.  Can he get much better though?  Where are those people that said his better than SWP?

I'm right here and I completely stand by what I said 100% now more so than ever. Am not bein funny, but the way you went on about Sissy being a great player, you have no right to slate anyones ability to judge a player.

Wright-Phillips is a very overated player while Jermaine Pennant hasn't yet shown Liverpool fans what he's capable of. Its as simple as that.

The point I keep making, in my opinion is perfectly valid. He's got alot of assists for both Fowler and Crouch. Players who attack the ball, granted Crouch doesn't do it as much as he should...

The fact is he's there to put crosses in and beat players, thats exactly what he can do. He'll probably never score more than 5 goals a season, but I can see him assisting 15 times in the league with the right forwards to take advantage of his outstanding crossing ability. The ball which he whipped in for Fowler towards the end of that game shows exactly what could be acheived with the right strikers. He's not like Beckham, in that he'll put a ball on a sixpence, but he puts alot of crosses in that are crying out to be attacked.

He beats a man and often uses the ball quite well and can also pick out a pass in a wide position as apose to crossing occassionally.

The lads a very good player and I think with the service he provides and can provide would have real strikers as apose to whats playing upfront for us at the moment, wetting themselves in anticipation.

Liverpool have two midfield line ups that I'd be 100% happy with depending on the games.

Kewell, Alonso, Gerrard, Pennant or,
Kewell, Alonso, Mascherano, Gerrard.

That midfield imo would be good enough to help us win a league title.
Stu.Murph
LFC Super Member

Postby Stu.Murph » Fri Apr 20, 2007 12:44 pm

Igor Zidane wrote:I've never really commented on pennant this season ,other than saying he's was lacking in confidence in the first half of the season . His short game was awful and he wasn't attacking the right back much , i'd put all that down to a lack of confidence. The second half of the season we are getting the pennant we thought. Quality crosses into the box , not afraid to have ago at the right back and his short game is alot better .

Now all we need is Mark Gonzales to do the same on the left :D

Well you never know :D

Jermaine Pennant still doesn't attack the right back...

Think about it... :D
Stu.Murph
LFC Super Member

Postby Stu.Murph » Fri Apr 20, 2007 12:47 pm

puroresu wrote:
Igor Zidane wrote:
puroresu wrote:He is playing better.  Can he get much better though?  Where are those people that said his better than SWP?

Oh has swp scored a couple of goals  has he ?

2 crackers to add to the list of fantastic goals his scored.  I would love SWP at Anfield but 1. Chelsea wouldnt sell to Liverpool. 2. I think the kid doesnt want to leave.  He wants to prove he can make it at Chelsea.

Which he won't do because he's not upto it. Damien Duff kept him out of the team when he was there... Duff's a left winger... Joe Cole will now keep him out of the team now he's fit... Cole's a central midfielder...

The difference being the other lads mentioned are excellent players, Wright-Phillips is merely a decent one.
Stu.Murph
LFC Super Member

Postby HacksawJimDuggin » Fri Apr 20, 2007 12:54 pm

3-5-2 would accomodate all the players mentioned. Rafa has tried it a few times and it's worked almost everytime.
HacksawJimDuggin
LFC Super Member

Postby stmichael » Fri Apr 20, 2007 12:55 pm

SWP may score a few more goals but in terms of general all round play, I don't see how he's an improvement on Pennant in terms of overall product and providing chances for front men.

I think it must be an English thing that we overrate our own players. I mean Aaron Lennon's scored 3 goals this season, his final ball is generally poor and yet people are valuing him at £15m. ???
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby puroresu » Fri Apr 20, 2007 1:07 pm

stmichael wrote:SWP may score a few more goals but in terms of general all round play, I don't see how he's an improvement on Pennant in terms of overall product and providing chances for front men.

I think it must be an English thing that we overrate our own players. I mean Aaron Lennon's scored 3 goals this season, his final ball is generally poor and yet people are valuing him at £15m. ???

Lennon is hugely overrated and I agree generally English players are so overrated its unreal.

My problem with pennant is even if his play has improved isnt that whats expected of him in the first place.
puroresu

Postby Stu.Murph » Fri Apr 20, 2007 1:08 pm

The standard in this country of english right wingers is very overated. Pennant being the best of a decent bunch. Simple as that.
Stu.Murph
LFC Super Member

Postby Stu.Murph » Fri Apr 20, 2007 1:09 pm

puroresu wrote:
stmichael wrote:SWP may score a few more goals but in terms of general all round play, I don't see how he's an improvement on Pennant in terms of overall product and providing chances for front men.

Lennon is hugely overrated and I agree generally English players are so overrated its unreal.

My problem with pennant is even if his play has improved isnt that whats expected of him in the first place.

You are truely clueless.

Its not about "English players being overpriced".

Its a boring arguement.

Its quite simply about supply and demand. End of story.
Stu.Murph
LFC Super Member

Postby KOPMATT » Fri Apr 20, 2007 1:17 pm

Stu.Murph wrote:
puroresu wrote:

You are truely clueless.

Its not about "English players being overpriced".

Its a boring arguement.

Its quite simply about supply and demand. End of story.

Pennant is playing much better I agree. But can he get any more so?
As for supply and demand, he needs to supply more as theres alot of demand for it!!!  :D
KOPMATT

Postby 66-1120597113 » Fri Apr 20, 2007 1:18 pm

He has got a lot better of late,purely because he has been getting a run of games.

There is no point Raffa giving him a game here and there and expecting the lad to show his best form just whenever he is picked.
Pennant deserves to finish the remaining 4 games in the league starting every time to see how he goes.

For me he has got a lot better but is still not playing well enough consistantly in games.End product is still poor at times and he still looses posession....saying this im not blaming him,i reckon if he is given a regular place he will develop an understanding with the rest of the team!
66-1120597113

Postby JoeTerp » Fri Apr 20, 2007 1:45 pm

Stu.Murph wrote:Liverpool have two midfield line ups that I'd be 100% happy with depending on the games.

Kewell, Alonso, Gerrard, Pennant or,
Kewell, Alonso, Mascherano, Gerrard.

That midfield imo would be good enough to help us win a league title.

possibly true IF Kewell could last an entire season AND when he does make his return from his WC injury he has all the same skills and pace that he used to.
JoeTerp

Postby Igor Zidane » Fri Apr 20, 2007 1:48 pm

Stu.Murph wrote:
Igor Zidane wrote:I've never really commented on pennant this season ,other than saying he's was lacking in confidence in the first half of the season . His short game was awful and he wasn't attacking the right back much , i'd put all that down to a lack of confidence. The second half of the season we are getting the pennant we thought. Quality crosses into the box , not afraid to have ago at the right back and his short game is alot better .

Now all we need is Mark Gonzales to do the same on the left :D

Well you never know :D

Jermaine Pennant still doesn't attack the right back...

Think about it... :D

Yes Yes soft lad left back  :blush:
UP THE PURPS !!!
https://www.colfc.co.uk/
Igor Zidane
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Fri Apr 20, 2007 2:16 pm

BarryBelfast wrote:if he is given a regular place he will develop an understanding with the rest of the team!

an observation i've made is that the more the right fullback overlaps the better pennant plays. he seems to play better with arbeloa in the side than finnan.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby JoeTerp » Fri Apr 20, 2007 2:17 pm

stmichael wrote:
BarryBelfast wrote:if he is given a regular place he will develop an understanding with the rest of the team!

an observation i've made is that the more the right fullback overlaps the better pennant plays. he seems to play better with arbeloa in the side than finnan.

i.e. the first goal against Arsenal
JoeTerp

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion