Pennant....

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby stmichael » Fri Apr 20, 2007 11:15 am

Played very well in the last six weeks or so.

Infact you could say his recovery started at the turn of the year. He was superb in the Bolton match on New Years Day and bit by bit he has been getting better. It's a slow process but he has also won the crowd over as well. His confidence is rising and his work ethic and attitude has improved as well.

In 2006 he was absolutely hideous. Awful. I wanted him sold, he was that bad. Call me kneejerk if you will, but I think he was that damn bad. Workshy, arrogant with no product.

But he's getting there game by game and I he's starting to give teams nightmares. Against PSV in particular last week he was ripping them to shreds. I HATE the way he cuts in sometimes but at the moment he just glides in between people. He's saved his career at Liverpool - now lets hope he goes on to make a name for himself.

He'd be an automatic pick on current form but it then does beg the question how you get Javier, Xabi and Stevie into the team as well.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby 66-1112520797 » Fri Apr 20, 2007 11:18 am

stmichael wrote:Played very well in the last six weeks or so.

Infact you could say his recovery started at the turn of the year. He was superb in the Bolton match on New Years Day and bit by bit he has been getting better. It's a slow process but he has also won the crowd over as well. His confidence is rising and his work ethic and attitude has improved as well.

In 2006 he was absolutely hideous. Awful. I wanted him sold, he was that bad. Call me kneejerk if you will, but I think he was that damn bad. Workshy, arrogant with no product.

But he's getting there game by game and I he's starting to give teams nightmares. Against PSV in particular last week he was ripping them to shreds. I HATE the way he cuts in sometimes but at the moment he just glides in between people. He's saved his career at Liverpool - now lets hope he goes on to make a name for himself.

He'd be an automatic pick on current form but it then does beg the question how you get Javier, Xabi and Stevie into the team as well.

Agreed he has done well, but I think he's playing at the top of his ability now. What we've seen is what we're gonna get. I still think the position could be improved.
66-1112520797

Postby EddieC » Fri Apr 20, 2007 11:20 am

stmichael wrote:He'd be an automatic pick on current form but it then does beg the question how you get Javier, Xabi and Stevie into the team as well.

Rotation  :D

Seriously though, I thought when we got Mascherano that we were gonna see a lot more of the 4-2-3-1 formation that Rafa tried unsuccessfuly when he first came here. With the problems our strikers seem to have finding the back of the net, and the form that Stevie's in I don't think it would be a bad idea at the moment.
EddieC
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Fri Apr 20, 2007 11:46 am

Bamaga man wrote:
stmichael wrote:Played very well in the last six weeks or so.

Agreed he has done well, but I think he's playing at the top of his ability now. What we've seen is what we're gonna get. I still think the position could be improved.

Yeah I agree but I just thought I'd give the lad credit where it's due. Pennant has been our best attacking  player since the turn of the year. He seems to be growing in confidence, and is now more willing to get at defenders, so he get into positions. I think his delivery is that good, that often he over-relies on it, as strange as it sounds. But look back to Kuyt's goal the other week at Reading. The Jermaine Pennant we bought from Birmingham would not have had the foresight to inside from the flank, past the defender, in order to get his cross in. The likelihood is he would have thrown the ball in before the defender closed him down.

OK, he hasn't got lightening pace, nor will he guarantee you goals, but he IS a productive player, who is getting better and better.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby 66-1112520797 » Fri Apr 20, 2007 11:48 am

Yeah definately credit where its due.

Keep up the good work Jermaine.
66-1112520797

Postby JoeTerp » Fri Apr 20, 2007 12:00 pm

will he start against Chelsea?
JoeTerp

Postby Ace Ventura » Fri Apr 20, 2007 12:01 pm

He was my mom against Boro and looked like he was bursting with confidence and desperate to get on the ball.
Its a major turnaround since the first half of the season when he looked to pass it off straight away or crossed from whatever position he was in.

With the right system on wednesday he could of had about 4 assists, he was constantly supplying brilliant crosses or cutbacks that were either falling to the wrong person (Sissoko) or to nobody due to Rafa's strangely defensive tactics.
I hope to god he keeps it up as it could save us alot of money and allow Rafa to strengthen the other areas of the team.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby puroresu » Fri Apr 20, 2007 12:03 pm

He is playing better.  Can he get much better though?  Where are those people that said his better than SWP?
puroresu

Postby Sabre » Fri Apr 20, 2007 12:10 pm

JoeTerp wrote:will he start against Chelsea?

Cannot tell for sure Joe Terp.

In football the starting eleven doesn't depend only on the good of bad form of a player, but also in his abilities. Sometimes you have a good player that is playing well, but the coach will instead pick another player because he has better features for that game.

You can see it's a tradition here to put starting elevens all the time before the games, and you shall see that we are not too good predicting it :)
Last edited by Sabre on Fri Apr 20, 2007 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Igor Zidane » Fri Apr 20, 2007 12:11 pm

I've never really commented on pennant this season ,other than saying he's was lacking in confidence in the first half of the season . His short game was awful and he wasn't attacking the right back much , i'd put all that down to a lack of confidence. The second half of the season we are getting the pennant we thought. Quality crosses into the box , not afraid to have ago at the right back and his short game is alot better .

Now all we need is Mark Gonzales to do the same on the left :D

Well you never know :D
UP THE PURPS !!!
https://www.colfc.co.uk/
Igor Zidane
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Igor Zidane » Fri Apr 20, 2007 12:12 pm

puroresu wrote:He is playing better.  Can he get much better though?  Where are those people that said his better than SWP?

Oh has swp scored a couple of goals  has he ?
UP THE PURPS !!!
https://www.colfc.co.uk/
Igor Zidane
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Fri Apr 20, 2007 12:13 pm

I have a sneaky feeling that if he'd been a young scouser and not the previous wearer of an electronic tag, he'd have been given a little more of a chance by some. I always felt people had blinkers on when it came to his good points earlier on in the season and that was confirmed to me when people were so clearly shocked about the number of assists he's made.

I think he's got a lot of ability. I just think the step up and the expectations of being at such a big club overwhelmed him at first. Same for Bellamy.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby JoeTerp » Fri Apr 20, 2007 12:14 pm

my guess is that if Rafa goes with a 442 the midfield will be Gerrard, Mascherano, Alonso and Riise.  I really solid midfield but not super creative.  but he could also go with a 451 with pennant and riise on the wings and alonso, mascherano and gerrard
JoeTerp

Postby puroresu » Fri Apr 20, 2007 12:33 pm

Igor Zidane wrote:
puroresu wrote:He is playing better.  Can he get much better though?  Where are those people that said his better than SWP?

Oh has swp scored a couple of goals  has he ?

2 crackers to add to the list of fantastic goals his scored.  I would love SWP at Anfield but 1. Chelsea wouldnt sell to Liverpool. 2. I think the kid doesnt want to leave.  He wants to prove he can make it at Chelsea.
puroresu

Postby Elchris » Fri Apr 20, 2007 12:37 pm

Good job pennant...proud of you my boy :D

Hope he improves and make wenger cry
Elchris

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion