Pennant....

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Bad Bob » Sat Apr 21, 2007 3:31 am

He's definitely looked the part these past few weeks.  He's always had the skill and now he seems to be growing in confidence, which is so vital for a winger.  Without confidence, they'll never take a fullback on.  I also think there's more in his locker yet.  For one, I think he's more of a goal threat than even he realizes--he's had chances recently and has looked startled to be in scoring position.  A bit more composure and he'll put a few away.  He'll never score like Ronaldo or anything but he's got a few goals per season in him.  I'd also like to see him swing in an occasional left footed cross on the cut back.  He does brilliantly to turn the defender and create space on his left so he might as well hoist the ball up to the back post and see if Crouchy can get on the end of it.
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby Stu.Murph » Sat Apr 21, 2007 1:32 pm

Ace Ventura wrote:Sabre you have obviously seen more of him, but from what i have seen his natural instinct so far has seemed to be to get forward where as Finnan will do it but looks a bit more like a fish out of water.
Not knocking Finnan like but couldnt see him getting himself behind the opposing back 4 and running onto a through ball like Arbeloa against Reading.
Again Finnan has been one of our better players the last 2-3 seasons but it just shows a fullback getting into positions like that can cause the other team all sorts of problems.

Agreed. Finnan is a good solid player.

The only critisism is there are times when you're sitting there thinking, go on lad, overlap, what are you waiting for? He's no Marcus Babbel or Rob Jones in that respect.

Finnan defensively is very good, makes good decisions and concentrates unbelievabley well which leads to his consistency. He reads the game brilliantly and his positioning, while very un-orthadox is excellent.

He often gives opposition players a gap to play the pass, but seems to do it deliberately so he can make the interception. IE he'll be ni a wider position than normal leaving a big gap between him and the centre half which forces the oppo to play the ball between the two where he reads it and intercepts. It helps him make up for a lack of pace, very clever to watch.
Stu.Murph
LFC Super Member

Postby Kukilon » Sat Apr 21, 2007 5:35 pm

I think he was awesome today. But I missed quite some stuff since I was working while watching the TV.
Kukilon
LFC Super Member

Postby RedRoots » Sat Apr 21, 2007 9:57 pm

Very pleased with Pennants performances of late, he looks like our only player with a bit of flair at the moment. I think a lot of people hold a grudge against him and will be the first ones to pounce the next time he has an average game, i also find it funny to read the comments saying he won't play any better than how he is now, how could ANYBODY possibly know that! :O
RedRoots

Postby Scottbot » Sun Apr 22, 2007 12:07 pm

Pennant was excellent again yesterday (at least from the 40mins highlights on .tv) and deserves any credit that comes his way. He's playing with a lot of confidence now and was toying with the Wigan defenders at times yesterday. Rafa's got a bit of a selection headache for the Chelsea game although i still expect him to play Stevie out on the right for this one.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 66-1112520797 » Sun Apr 22, 2007 12:22 pm

Have to admit he has looked good recently, but TBH the team has looked pretty ordinary over the last few games so it wouldnt be to hard to stand out at the moment. At least Pennant appears to be grasping the chance he gets though.
66-1112520797

Postby duk » Wed May 02, 2007 12:06 pm

How good was he last night?!
We looked a lot less likely to score we he came off and he allowed gerrard to play were he should
Gave Cole problems all night and linked up well with Finnan
The manager should show more faith in this boy
duk

Postby redtrader74 » Wed May 02, 2007 12:41 pm

Stu.Murph wrote:
puroresu wrote:He is playing better.  Can he get much better though?  Where are those people that said his better than SWP?

I'm right here and I completely stand by what I said 100% now more so than ever. Am not bein funny, but the way you went on about Sissy being a great player, you have no right to slate anyones ability to judge a player.

Wright-Phillips is a very overated player while Jermaine Pennant hasn't yet shown Liverpool fans what he's capable of. Its as simple as that.

The point I keep making, in my opinion is perfectly valid. He's got alot of assists for both Fowler and Crouch. Players who attack the ball, granted Crouch doesn't do it as much as he should...

The fact is he's there to put crosses in and beat players, thats exactly what he can do. He'll probably never score more than 5 goals a season, but I can see him assisting 15 times in the league with the right forwards to take advantage of his outstanding crossing ability. The ball which he whipped in for Fowler towards the end of that game shows exactly what could be acheived with the right strikers. He's not like Beckham, in that he'll put a ball on a sixpence, but he puts alot of crosses in that are crying out to be attacked.

He beats a man and often uses the ball quite well and can also pick out a pass in a wide position as apose to crossing occassionally.

The lads a very good player and I think with the service he provides and can provide would have real strikers as apose to whats playing upfront for us at the moment, wetting themselves in anticipation.

Liverpool have two midfield line ups that I'd be 100% happy with depending on the games.

Kewell, Alonso, Gerrard, Pennant or,
Kewell, Alonso, Mascherano, Gerrard.

That midfield imo would be good enough to help us win a league title.

Can't believe i agree with!! i must be hungover. Pennant is a better player and offers more that swp, who is not very good at crossing, a basic requirement for a right midfielder.

I have been worried about his strength on the ball, but that is somthing that the club should work on in general with a lot of our players. Unfortunatly the epl is becoming more about strength than skill. Probably why Fowler has been sidelined.BTW i don't think he is excellent, but has improved, hopefully he can become consistent.
redtrader74
LFC Super Member

Postby Rafa D » Wed May 02, 2007 12:54 pm

Best game for this club last night. I was harsh but fair on him earlier on in th season when he produced feck all.

he done himself and the club proud last night and the whole ground let him know when he came off.

Well Done Pennant, you might just make it here yet.
Sammy Lee wears Liverpool undies
Rafa D
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RedBlood » Wed May 02, 2007 12:56 pm

pennant is class he should be in the england squad for the way he has performed since november

where are all his knockers now??
RedBlood
LFC Super Member

Postby Owzat » Wed May 02, 2007 1:14 pm

I must have been watching a different Pennant to the one you watched last night, that is assuming most posts are referring to Pennant as I wasn't sure reading them. I mean if that's his best performance then I'd definitely sell him
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Anfield rapper » Wed May 02, 2007 1:28 pm

I think he had a good game last night. Ashley Cole was certainly second best in the contest between the two of them and we are led to believe he is the best left back in the world. It must be quite hard for him being in and out of the team all the time. I think he needs some confidence and then he will become a very good player.
Anfield rapper
LFC Super Member

Postby Owzat » Wed May 02, 2007 1:32 pm

Anfield rapper wrote:I think he had a good game last night. Ashley Cole was certainly second best in the contest between the two of them and we are led to believe he is the best left back in the world. It must be quite hard for him being in and out of the team all the time. I think he needs some confidence and then he will become a very good player.

He beat him a few times but overall he didn't make as much of the upper hand as he should.

Cole isn't even the best left-back at Chelsea, I hate these "best in the world myths". If you were to believe them then the best team in the world would look something like :

Cech
nob'ed neville
Ferdinand
Terry
A.Cole
Diving portugese winker
Scholes
Lampard
Giggs
Drogba
Rooney

I'm sure I've heard most of the England team called "best in the world" at some time or another. Looks worrying like most of the England team and entirely Premiership based.
Last edited by Owzat on Wed May 02, 2007 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bad Bob » Wed May 02, 2007 1:36 pm

Pennant grew into the game well after a nervous start and caused Cole some problems down the right.  He put in a few good balls as well and helped pin Chelsea back.

Defensively, though, he has a tendency to ball watch and thus let Cole get behind him on more than one occasion.  Thankfully we weren't punished for it but it's a part of his game that needs work if he wants to make the step up to be a first team regular for us in big games.
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby Rafa D » Wed May 02, 2007 1:51 pm

If you can name a better game than last night do so.

He played his best game for Liverpool last night.

As most people know, I am not a big fan of Pennant but last night, he worked hard and put in some very teasing crosses.
Sammy Lee wears Liverpool undies
Rafa D
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion