Pennant....

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Ace Ventura » Fri Apr 20, 2007 3:08 pm

stmichael wrote:
BarryBelfast wrote:if he is given a regular place he will develop an understanding with the rest of the team!

an observation i've made is that the more the right fullback overlaps the better pennant plays. he seems to play better with arbeloa in the side than finnan.

Thats a fair point and one of the reasons i gave Arbeloa the 1 point in my last match ratings, he might not be as tight defensively as Finnan but going forward he looks far more comfortable. Finnan puts in a decent cross and i wouldnt say he is poor going forward, but Arbeloa looks to get beyond the RM far more which stretches teams far more.
So far so good for me.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ade » Fri Apr 20, 2007 4:56 pm

Just wonder if this thread isn't going down a familiar route - 'oh, we signed a player who's been poor mostly, and now he's done OK in a couple of games, he could be the answer. Could save us loads of money. Always told you he would come good. And he always was better than SWP, and Lennon, etc etc.'

Pennant has been better recently, but he's improving off a low level. This little burst of form is no different to what SWP and Lennon have shown for their clubs at different times, and all of a sudden Pennant is a far better player than those two?

For me, he's OK but not really good enough to be a matchwinner in top games. If we don't sign Alves or Quaresma, he will probably be first choice next season, but let's not start daydreaming that he's suddenly gonna bloom into somethin special.
Ade
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kop king » Fri Apr 20, 2007 5:09 pm

JP has been far better than both Lennon and SWP this season, i feel if SWP had played alot more games he would be flying this year but for Lennon he has played about 20 games this year and has played good for spurs once against Chelsea but the thing thst makes me laugh is Lennon and SWP have hardly played this year but they will still get in the England squad in the summer. SWP gets in the squad all the time and he is never playing and you've got JP who has been playing frequently, this is because Mclaren is scared of change.
"Fook Off Chelsea FC, You aint got no history"
kop king

Postby Sabre » Fri Apr 20, 2007 5:09 pm

This thread is IMHO about giving the credit when the credit is due.

In his first season, the lad was already harshly criticised after his FIRST EIGHT games, and it's a matter of justice he receives praises now.

Alves, is not a Right Winger. And Quaresma, didn't impress in la liga, so the fact he's doing well in the Portuguese league doesn't show he would do better than Pennant IMHO. There was a player from the Portuguese league named Fabio Felicio, left winger, that came to Spain as the best left winger of the season in Portugal. Came to Spain, did nothing, and was sent to Russia in December.

Where as Quaresma hasn't done anything in England yet, I don't think giving to Pennant the credit he deserves is daydreaming.

Ace Ventura mate, I disagree the view about Arbeloa. I think Finnan crosses better than him, and Arbeloa is mainly a marker, a defender. The amount of overlapping has to do with the formation used aswell. See Finnan under the 4-4-1-1 and he'll overlap more often than under a 4-4-2 due to instructions (IMHO).
Last edited by Sabre on Fri Apr 20, 2007 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Igor Zidane » Fri Apr 20, 2007 5:13 pm

Ade wrote:Just wonder if this thread isn't going down a familiar route - 'oh, we signed a player who's been poor mostly, and now he's done OK in a couple of games, he could be the answer. Could save us loads of money. Always told you he would come good. And he always was better than SWP, and Lennon, etc etc.'

Pennant has been better recently, but he's improving off a low level. This little burst of form is no different to what SWP and Lennon have shown for their clubs at different times, and all of a sudden Pennant is a far better player than those two?

For me, he's OK but not really good enough to be a matchwinner in top games. If we don't sign Alves or Quaresma, he will probably be first choice next season, but let's not start daydreaming that he's suddenly gonna bloom into somethin special.

If you look at the whole thread ,the majority of people are saying what you have said basically . He's not a world beater by any means ,but credit where it's due ,the lad is bringing some consistancy to his game and has improved. As far as Alves he's a right back as far as i'm concerned . I wouldn't mind seeing him and pennant together on the right. :)
UP THE PURPS !!!
https://www.colfc.co.uk/
Igor Zidane
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ade » Fri Apr 20, 2007 5:56 pm

Igor Zidane wrote:
Ade wrote:Just wonder if this thread isn't going down a familiar route - 'oh, we signed a player who's been poor mostly, and now he's done OK in a couple of games, he could be the answer. Could save us loads of money. Always told you he would come good. And he always was better than SWP, and Lennon, etc etc.'

If you look at the whole thread ,the majority of people are saying what you have said basically . He's not a world beater by any means ,but credit where it's due ,the lad is bringing some consistancy to his game and has improved. As far as Alves he's a right back as far as i'm concerned . I wouldn't mind seeing him and pennant together on the right. :)

Fine, but let's keep it in perspective. Fact is we're giving a bit of credit, where it's due, to a player who isn't really top quality and IMO is no more than a squad player. There's just a tendency to the rosy-tinted glasses among some fans – as soon as a player lifts himself above the mediocre it's time to throw the flowers at his feet.

And as for Alves, I know he's not a right winger, but a right back/right wing-back. My point with him is that the signing of him with the pace and mobility and intelligence he has could enable Rafa to go with  the 4-2-3-1. meaning this;

reina

alves
carra
agger
aurelio

Masch
Alonso

Gerrard
Two new midfielders

Villa/Eto'o/Henry (if you believe the latest rumours)

Meaning we don't need an out and out right winger, with the fluidity that that system would let us play. Again, the signing of Mascherano could be the cue for this.

As for Quaresma, why not give him a go? Just cos he didn't spark a couple of years ago in Spain doesn't mean anything.

Bottom line is: Pennant, long-term, right wing for Liverpool? No thanks.
Ade
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby weringo » Fri Apr 20, 2007 7:33 pm

Pennant has improved no doubt since the first half of the season, most notably his quality of crossing is much more effective than it used to be. What I would still like to see more of though is him taking on the left back and getting to by line to put in his cross, rather than chipping it in from a few yards back. I would agree with what stmichael said about him playing better when our full back supports him, as he does often need help to get into a decent crossing position.
weringo
LFC Super Member

Postby RichardLFC1 » Fri Apr 20, 2007 8:12 pm

Pennant has been on great form recently and someone hit the nail on the head. Hes been playing so good because he has been given a run of games. I rate him highly as present hopefully he continues to get played and he continues to play well.

RIP DRUMMERPHIL
RichardLFC1
LFC Super Member

Postby ivor_the_injun » Fri Apr 20, 2007 9:00 pm

I'm pleased for the lad. Was hugely disappointed with him before Christmas, but he's looked a different player recently. Against Bolton, the 2nd leg against PSV and this week's game against Boro in particular, he's looked like a long-term solution on the right. Ditto in the link-up play with Arbeloa v Arsenal in the run up to Crouch's header.

Has to maintain it now though. It's against the Chelseas, the Man Us and the on-song Arsenals that he needs to show he belongs to be out there.

No arguments at all from me though on recent form - he's been very good, and it's been great to see him looking like he's enjoying himself.

To the people trashing Lennon though, I've clearly been watching a different player at times this season.

Prime example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=duKjKubNZPA
ivor_the_injun

Postby Leonmc0708 » Fri Apr 20, 2007 9:07 pm

Has got to add goals to his game otherwise he is expendable.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby aCe' » Fri Apr 20, 2007 9:49 pm

most appearences in a red shirt this season (subs or not) -only matched by gerrard- this season says it all .. one of the most imprtant players for us this season and we would have been far less a creative side without him ! good work .
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ace Ventura » Fri Apr 20, 2007 9:55 pm

Sabre you have obviously seen more of him, but from what i have seen his natural instinct so far has seemed to be to get forward where as Finnan will do it but looks a bit more like a fish out of water.
Not knocking Finnan like but couldnt see him getting himself behind the opposing back 4 and running onto a through ball like Arbeloa against Reading.
Again Finnan has been one of our better players the last 2-3 seasons but it just shows a fullback getting into positions like that can cause the other team all sorts of problems.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Fri Apr 20, 2007 11:17 pm

To be honest no! I didn't see much of Arbeloa, as I didn't watch Real Madrid B games, and didn't see him much in Deportivo, it's just a first glance impression I have!! but this is football mate and this is why is interesting, we sometimes share our views and we sometimes disagree!

In an interview made by Depor fans, he admitted he was more comfortable as a centreback as that was his position, but he said that both as CB and RB he likes going forward, so you see mate, you are probably right :) but that's was my first glance thought (I'm wrong often).
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Manhattan Project » Fri Apr 20, 2007 11:49 pm

He's done well. He will improve next season.
china syndrome 80512640 reactor meltdown fusion element
no uniquely indefinable one 5918 identification unknown 113
source transmission 421 general panic hysteria 02 outbreak
foreign mutation 001505 maximum code destruction nuclear
reflection 01044 power plutonium helix atomic energy wave
The Manhattan Project
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby whylongball? » Sat Apr 21, 2007 12:12 am

If he keeps on improving then it will be difficult to replace him. His level of performance is acceptable but i would not say the best. Alot more room for improvement thought credit where its due!
C'on Pennant!
whylongball?

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion