Madrid president quits - No risk to rafa now?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby red37 » Thu Apr 27, 2006 4:37 pm

not sure where to post this so go easy...

will this mean rafa is safe from temptation now? seeing as though this fella was confident of a reunion... or is it the reason why rafa has delayed signing yet, to see what happened...

i doubt it though nothing is ever crystal clear.

Real Madrid are looking for their third president this year after Fernando Martin surprisingly quit his role.

Martin, who replaced Florentino Perez in February, has stood-down after a board meeting at El Santiago Bernabeu on Wednesday.

The club have now confirmed that presidential elections will be held at the end of the current season.

The Spanish giants have named Luis Gomez-Montejano, the oldest member of their board, interim president and he will hold the role until the summer when a new supremo will be decided upon.

"The board have agreed unanimously to call for a presidential election. We think it is in the club's best interests," spokesman for the board Enrique Sanchez told a news conference.

"They have accepted Martin's resignation so that he can stand in those elections.

"We arrived at the decision after a lengthy debate although there was no formal vote.

"The directors of the club will continue working.

"We are not going to enter into the debate over new signings other than to say we are working to make the club champions again next season."

they certainly are a club in a bit of a mess  ???

maybe sabre or the other spanish lads know the full story.....

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby red37 » Thu Apr 27, 2006 4:41 pm

here is a follow up....................

Real Madrid president Fernando Martin - who recently admitted that Liverpool boss Rafael Benitez was one of his preferred options to become their next coach - has been forced to resign after losing a vote of confidence at a board meeting held on Wednesday.

It was Martin's first full board meeting since succeeding Florentino Perez, who stepped down at the end of February.

Martin met Reds boss Rafa earlier this week in Spain and it was at this informal meeting that he made it clear he would be remaining at Anfield.

Speaking this week, Rafa said: "It's clear there are people at Madrid that would like to see me there.

"It's the first time I've spoken with the president and it was an informal talk.

"But I work for Liverpool, where I will carry on next season, and on this basis there is no point speculating any more.

"I'm happy at Liverpool because they have always treated me well and I want to have a lot more success there.

"The truth is that I'm still a young coach and life is long. I don't know where I could end up."

Atletico Madrid president Enrique Cerezo found it funny that arch-rival Martin had been trying to sweet-talk Benitez at an awards ceremony in Madrid on Monday.

He said: "Having Benitez here was like having a beautiful woman at a party and everyone wanting to talk to her."

Real will end the campaign without a trophy for the third successive season, their worst run in more than 50 years.

???

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby hicks » Thu Apr 27, 2006 4:45 pm

They as a club  are to the spanish league what Newcastle are to the EPL if you get what i mean nobody stays there for long. Why O why did mickey choose them 2 seasons ago :no .
Last edited by hicks on Thu Apr 27, 2006 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I know i know but i joined before THAT HICKS did  Oh Lordy
hicks

Postby Lando_Griffin » Thu Apr 27, 2006 4:47 pm

hicks wrote:They as a club  are to the spanish league what Newcastle are to the EPL if you get what i mean nobody stays there for long. Why O why did mickey choose them

Because he is a penny-pinching gimp with a weaker spine than a paperback book.

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Ace1983 » Thu Apr 27, 2006 4:49 pm

money, fame and bum chum Becks is the answer to your question hicks. As for them not going after Rafa, it would be nice if they didn't, but they still will. I don't think they'll get him, but they'll still chase him. And stevie too probably. Didn't last long did he?
The Ace1983
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red37 » Thu Apr 27, 2006 4:51 pm

good news though! i like the quote about 'having a beautiful woman in and everyone wanted to talk to her'   :D

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby Sabre » Thu Apr 27, 2006 4:52 pm

No risk to Rafa now, but the resigning is irrelevant. Madrid press has already acknowledged that Rafa has said a big NO to Madrid in the near future.

One of the candidates, rally driver Carlos Sainz, has promised that he'll bring Xabi Alonso, though. Pah.
(who cares)
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red37 » Thu Apr 27, 2006 4:54 pm

well Luis Gómez-Montejano Arroyo can have mourinho and fat fwank instead  :D

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion