Cisse 70% fit! would you risk him?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby morientes_gerrard » Tue Apr 12, 2005 10:36 am

Djibril Cisse has been included in the squad for the trip to Juventus. Apparently he is only 70% fit. Last 20 minutes maybe but would it be worthwhile?
morientes_gerrard

Postby LiverpoolFan00 » Tue Apr 12, 2005 10:51 am

Not at 70% fit. He will run the risk of getting injured again straight away and he hasn't even played a reserve match so its a long time since he has played a game of football.
I just don't think its possible for him to be anywhere near ready for this game
Some people think football is a matter of life or death but it's far more important than that. - Bill Shankley

A Well Balanced Soccer Player Has A Beer In Each Hand!
LiverpoolFan00
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Big Niall » Tue Apr 12, 2005 11:13 am

We should NOT play him, I can't imagine he'd be much use anyway but the risk it too great. He should spend the next few months getting fit for pre season. I'd hate to see an unfit £14m player contributing nothing and risking injury.
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 7_Kewell » Tue Apr 12, 2005 11:14 am

i agree, imagaine he plays 10 mins then pulls his hamstring and needs an oporation?  no thanks!
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Paul C » Tue Apr 12, 2005 11:21 am

Djibril Cisse has been included in the Liverpool squad for Wednesday's UEFA Champions League quarter final second leg with Juventus.

The French international has been out of action after sustaining a horrific leg break against Blackburn in October, and was originally expected to be sidelined for a year.

Although recent reports suggested that the striker could have been in line for an emotional return before the end of the season, his inclusion in the European side is a surprise given that he only returned to training in late March.

The return of the summer signing from Auxerre will give Liverpool's injury ravaged squad a massive boost, although boss Rafa Benitez admitted that he is reluctant to use Cisse unless forced to due to circumstances.

"He will not start the match, but maybe we will use him in the last 20 minutes or so if we need something different and he is quick and can score goals," said Benitez

"He has been saying for a couple of weeks that he is ready, but we have wanted to be careful and make sure he is okay."
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby wet echo » Tue Apr 12, 2005 11:30 am

i think this will be a moral booster for the squad as much as anything,also with his pace it will leave capello wondering how fit is he and should he risk taking a defender off should he be available to come on,mind games i think more than anything,but its wonderful for the lad and the club
wet echo

Postby andy_g » Tue Apr 12, 2005 11:33 am

is it such a morale booster that one of our substitutes hasn't played a game for 5 months and is only 70% fit after a smashed leg?

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby L-type » Tue Apr 12, 2005 11:38 am

he'll be fine, he'll only be in for 20 minutes at the max, even I could last that long !!  He's been recovered from his injury for a while, he's just been tryin to get his endurance, and sharpness back.  Best of luck to the man :) :)
"I get bored quickly and like to change things — except my wife!”                   - Cisse
We all dream of a team of Sissoko's!! All 15 of them !!
L-type
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ace Ventura » Tue Apr 12, 2005 11:58 am

Theres no harm in him being sub, it is a boost to the whole squad and the fans. He hasn't set the world alight since he signed but i think given time Cisse will come good. Right from the start his desire to play for the club have been brilliant and i will be made up to see him back on the pitch. Am sure he could come on and cause problems teh last 15-20 minutes if we need it, at least its an option.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby SALTROCK67 » Tue Apr 12, 2005 12:03 pm

I am sure Rafa knows the score,if Cisse was nt up to it he would not have him there.Good luck to him and the rest of the lads hope they do us proud.:D :D
SALTROCK67

Postby Leonmc0708 » Tue Apr 12, 2005 12:06 pm

Desperate times call for desperate measures.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby wet echo » Tue Apr 12, 2005 12:09 pm

andy_g wrote:is it such a morale booster that one of our substitutes hasn't played a game for 5 months and is only 70% fit after a smashed leg?

yes it is ...
wet echo

Postby 7_Kewell » Tue Apr 12, 2005 12:13 pm

Baros and Cisse up front with 20 mins to go..... :oh:
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby andy_g » Tue Apr 12, 2005 12:18 pm

wet echo wrote:
andy_g wrote:is it such a morale booster that one of our substitutes hasn't played a game for 5 months and is only 70% fit after a smashed leg?

yes it is ...

its good to see that cisse is making a quick recovery - no doubt about that. but in all honesty i don't see how he could help us in this match. if we need to bring him on with 20 or however many minutes to go its because we need to score a goal - but this would also mean that juventus need to defend a lead. despite the fact that we put 2 past them at anfield they still have an amazing defence, and i don't see how a rusty semi-fit striker is going to get the better of that defence when it has a mind to defend a lead.

so, for me, its certainly not a morale booster.

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby coxy » Tue Apr 12, 2005 12:26 pm

Cisse's attitude has been superb to get to this point. If only Kewell showed the same commitment!! Its certainanly a boost for the team to have a striker of his quality and commitment wanting to get on the pitch fully fit or not. At least it offers another option.
coxy

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion