Pennant....

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Espionage » Wed May 02, 2007 1:56 pm

Also he seems to give away stupid fouls defending out wide in our own half.  I hate seeing it as it shows a general lack of game smarts, you cant lose concentration at the back. It was a dumb foul from one of either Joe Cole or Mikel that that eventuated in Agger's goal and I bet they whoever it was felt pretty silly this morning :D
Espionage
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby lio » Wed May 02, 2007 2:22 pm

For me, this lad is in his 1st season, young energetic and does well lately for us. Well, I mean at least most of the time he did ran past defenders to perform a decent cross. Unlike some, always being stopped when confronted that got us so frustrated.
lio

Postby Ace Ventura » Wed May 02, 2007 2:23 pm

Bad Bob wrote:Pennant grew into the game well after a nervous start and caused Cole some problems down the right.  He put in a few good balls as well and helped pin Chelsea back.

Defensively, though, he has a tendency to ball watch and thus let Cole get behind him on more than one occasion.  Thankfully we weren't punished for it but it's a part of his game that needs work if he wants to make the step up to be a first team regular for us in big games.

I agree with that mate there was a couple of times in the second half where he switched off and let Cole in behind, that shouldnt happen.
But going forward he played really well and gave Cole a very awkward night, Crouch really should of scored with the far post header.
He does look like he is playing with alot more confidence and finally attacking the full back with alot more drive.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Wed May 02, 2007 2:30 pm

Bad Bob wrote:Pennant grew into the game well after a nervous start and caused Cole some problems down the right.  He put in a few good balls as well and helped pin Chelsea back.

Defensively, though, he has a tendency to ball watch and thus let Cole get behind him on more than one occasion.  Thankfully we weren't punished for it but it's a part of his game that needs work if he wants to make the step up to be a first team regular for us in big games.

I agree with that Bob but more worrying for me was he took up position to mark a player on a couple of occasions and then just left them! J.Cole was left free just outside our box by him as he wandered off. If he's going to mark a player he has to stick with him!
account deleted by request

Postby Bad Bob » Wed May 02, 2007 4:52 pm

s@int wrote:

I agree with that Bob but more worrying for me was he took up position to mark a player on a couple of occasions and then just left them! J.Cole was left free just outside our box by him as he wandered off. If he's going to mark a player he has to stick with him!

Yer, I noticed that too, as did Rafa, IMO.  I know some of the papers said he came off with an injury but I think Rafa had seen one too many miscues at the back from Pennant and decided to bring Alonso on to shore things up.

Not saying Pennant had a bad game going forward, mind, but you can never afford to switch off defensively against a team like Chelsea (or, for that matter, Man U or Milan).
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby stmichael » Thu May 03, 2007 12:34 pm

He still needs to add goals to his game if he wants to get an England call up imo.

One a season is not enough for that position to be top drawer. He is doing better though and had a good effort last night. Infact I'd say he's been our best attacking player in 2007.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby duk » Fri May 04, 2007 11:21 am

Start against Milan??
duk

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion