Michael owen - Available for £10million

Liverpool Football Club - The Rumour Mill

Postby Homebooby » Sat May 12, 2007 9:13 pm

woof woof ! wrote:There's an awful lot of bitterness being expressed in this thread . Personally my take is let bygones be bygones , if Owen returned to LFC I'd be more than happy, and at £10 million where else would you find a striker of Owens quality for that price ? .

As for the "injury prone" fears .Owen has always been injury prone it's not something that just started to happen in the last two seasons , he had many spells out injured when he was with us , it didn't stop us from trying to hang onto him.

He's a certainly a class above anyone in our current strike force (and perhaps most of the other strikers in the prem), doesn't need a season to bed into the "english game" and still has a great understanding with Gerrard .

Lets not cut off our noses to spite our face . Owen back at LFC makes perfect footballing sense to me.

I was about to say, will he make 20 points difference? I still think he could do a job for us. I have just always been massively disappointed by his lack of backbone in the decisions that he has made.

Agree with the comments about his injuries throughout his career. It used to drive me nuts the level of bias Houllier would show to him to find his rhythm and screw all the rest including Robbie.

Will he be motivated? He should be hitting his peak as a striker at this point and his career has been on the slide for the last 3 years, I think he has a lot to prove.

If we can get him on good terms, I would like to see him back
Homebooby

Postby ivor_the_injun » Sat May 12, 2007 9:46 pm

If Owen signed for the club, and then sat in front of journalists for an hour expressing his regret for the way he treated the club a few summers ago, then I'd have no problem with him coming back.

One thing's for sure - the fee shouldn't be a penny over £9m, and his salary should be considerably less than the sums Gerrard and Carra will re-sign for. Giving the guy £125k a week would send a horrible message. Bottom line is that he ballsed up, he's got no track record over the last 2 seasons, and he's a gamble, no longer a dead cert.

So yeah, a remorseful Owen and Tevez - that'd be a good summer's work on the striking front.
ivor_the_injun

Postby Dundalk » Sat May 12, 2007 10:49 pm

hello_red wrote:maybe he would score goals but he walked out, and well theres a better out there.

For that money who ??

To score that many goals who ??

Knows the club already who ??

Would love to play for us who ??

Get him back NOW !!
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red_guy » Mon May 14, 2007 1:36 am

i've heard somehere that he's currently in talks with Manure. If that is true, why bother going for him?
"Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Liverpool." Bill Shankly
red_guy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby akumaface » Mon May 14, 2007 9:37 am

He is injury prone and he is no longer the same Owen we endear. This is not to take away what he's done for the club but he really doesn't fit our system. We are lacking someone with tricks who can dribble pass defenders and finishes. If it comes down to Tevez and Owen, at relatively the same price, Tevez would be my choice as he is more explosive and much stronger. Also, he is much younger and possesses with more hunger for success.
akumaface
LFC Super Member

Postby Simari » Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:37 am

Viduka to Magpies

Middlesbrough striker Mark Viduka has agreed in principle to join north-east rivals Newcastle.

Soccernet understands the 31-year-old has given Boro boss Gareth Southgate the answer he was dreading and decided not to extend his stay at the Riverside Stadium.

The Magpies have been courting the Australia international for a year and now appear to have made a decisive breakthrough amid interest from West Ham, Portsmouth and Birmingham among other suitors.

Further talks are expected to take place later this week as Viduka enjoys a break before heading off on Asian Cup duty with his country.

Should Newcastle push home their interest in the former Celtic and Leeds frontman, they would bring an end to his hugely successful three-year spell on Teesside.

The Melbourne-born player arrived at the Riverside in a £4.5million from Elland Road in July 2004 as then manager Steve McClaren assembled a new-look strike-force in tandem with Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink.

Ayegbeni Yakubu joined them in a £7.5million switch from Portsmouth a year later, but following the Dutchman's departure last summer it is Viduka who has risen to the fore.

His 19 goals last season - seven of them in his last five starts - were key to Boro's successful fight against relegation from the Premiership and took his tally for the club to 42 in 100 appearances, 20 of them as a substitute.

That sort of return, allied with his ability to hold the ball up and bring team-mates into play, ensured he was in demand as his contract ran down, and with Newcastle having twice failed to prise him away from Boro, their return was almost inevitable.

Alan Shearer's retirement and Shola Ameobi's hip injury left the Magpies without that type of striker last season, and while speculation continues over Michael Owen's future a St James' Park, the prospect of having Viduka, Owen, Ameobi and Obafemi Martins in his squad is one which will excite new boss Sam Allardyce.

Southgate's emotions will be entirely different as he faces up to the task of having to replace his star man just months after pulling off a major coup to land Real Madrid defender Jonathan Woodgate.

The Boro manager was desperate to keep his prize asset and will hope there is still time to talk him around, but it appears the lure of a new challenge at St James' Park has won the day.

Portsmouth's interest in taking Yakubu back to Fratton Park will now be even more unwelcome with fans who implored Viduka to stay after seeing him claim a match-winning double against Fulham on the final day of the season now preparing for life without him.

Meanwhile, Manchester City midfielder Joey Barton is expected on Tyneside today to discuss a proposed move to Newcastle.

----------

That strikeforce looks quite decent, unless ofcourse Owen is really on the move. If so, could it just be that he might be back?
Simari
LFC Super Member

Postby heimdall » Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:06 pm

Simari wrote:Viduka to Magpies

Middlesbrough striker Mark Viduka has agreed in principle to join north-east rivals Newcastle.

Soccernet understands the 31-year-old has given Boro boss Gareth Southgate the answer he was dreading and decided not to extend his stay at the Riverside Stadium.

The Magpies have been courting the Australia international for a year and now appear to have made a decisive breakthrough amid interest from West Ham, Portsmouth and Birmingham among other suitors.

Further talks are expected to take place later this week as Viduka enjoys a break before heading off on Asian Cup duty with his country.

Should Newcastle push home their interest in the former Celtic and Leeds frontman, they would bring an end to his hugely successful three-year spell on Teesside.

The Melbourne-born player arrived at the Riverside in a £4.5million from Elland Road in July 2004 as then manager Steve McClaren assembled a new-look strike-force in tandem with Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink.

Ayegbeni Yakubu joined them in a £7.5million switch from Portsmouth a year later, but following the Dutchman's departure last summer it is Viduka who has risen to the fore.

His 19 goals last season - seven of them in his last five starts - were key to Boro's successful fight against relegation from the Premiership and took his tally for the club to 42 in 100 appearances, 20 of them as a substitute.

That sort of return, allied with his ability to hold the ball up and bring team-mates into play, ensured he was in demand as his contract ran down, and with Newcastle having twice failed to prise him away from Boro, their return was almost inevitable.

Alan Shearer's retirement and Shola Ameobi's hip injury left the Magpies without that type of striker last season, and while speculation continues over Michael Owen's future a St James' Park, the prospect of having Viduka, Owen, Ameobi and Obafemi Martins in his squad is one which will excite new boss Sam Allardyce.

Southgate's emotions will be entirely different as he faces up to the task of having to replace his star man just months after pulling off a major coup to land Real Madrid defender Jonathan Woodgate.

The Boro manager was desperate to keep his prize asset and will hope there is still time to talk him around, but it appears the lure of a new challenge at St James' Park has won the day.

Portsmouth's interest in taking Yakubu back to Fratton Park will now be even more unwelcome with fans who implored Viduka to stay after seeing him claim a match-winning double against Fulham on the final day of the season now preparing for life without him.

Meanwhile, Manchester City midfielder Joey Barton is expected on Tyneside today to discuss a proposed move to Newcastle.

----------

That strikeforce looks quite decent, unless ofcourse Owen is really on the move. If so, could it just be that he might be back?

Personally I don't want him back, I would rather have Kuyt in the team than Owen at least he has some heart. Owen has never shown the same kind of passion and commitment for the club as Robbie, Stevie or Carra.

BTW I reckon Kuyt will be much better for us next season than this one, it always takes tiem to adapt to the Prem, that is also why I would prefer to see Tevez signed instead of Eto.
heimdall

Postby parchpea » Tue Jun 05, 2007 3:54 pm

At the end of the day its who is avaliable and who we can get.

Surely no one could argue that Eto'o or Tevez would be better signings than Owen but if we cannot get them then we may take him.

If it was easy to bring players in then there would be no problems but its not fantasy football. The top players are being chased by all the best teams.

Owen could prove to be our best option if we cannot get our first choices.
parchpea
LFC Super Member

Postby LFC2007 » Tue Jun 05, 2007 6:17 pm

parchpea wrote:Surely no one could argue that Eto'o or Tevez would be better signings than Owen but if we cannot get them then we may take him.

Maybe not Eto'o but you could certainly make a strong case for Owen being a better signing than Tevez - purely on his proven goalscoring ability.
LFC2007

Postby crillylfc » Wed Jun 06, 2007 1:26 am

what i dont understand is why we didnt go for him last year..ya i know the price problems and that craic..but christ....mike would have scored goals and loads of them!!and thats gaurenteed!and im fully sure he will still do the same!eto and all the others were linked with have never played a minute in the prem so why o why will we once again miss out on a glourious chance!!SIGN HIM UP!! :D
crillylfc

Previous

Return to The Rumour Mill