Michael owen - Available for £10million

Liverpool Football Club - The Rumour Mill

Postby RUSHIE#9 » Thu May 10, 2007 6:39 pm

Owen's stats are unquestionable, he's one of this countries top goalscorers of all time and given a better quality of support and service than Newcastle can currently offer I have no doubt he'd be hitting 20 league a season over the next couple of years.

I've already mentioned that I was very disappointed when he chose Newcastle instead of holding out for a move to Liverpool. At the time I felt that it was similar to the situation back in the 80's with Rushie, i.e. he went to a foreign club it didn't work out and he'd come back to the club that made him what he was. The only difference being that I had lost some respect for Owen the way he had left us. When he did go to Newcastle I knew then that the guy is only interested in one thing: ENGLAND. What his fascination with playing in an underachieving dull international team is I don't know.

Should we sign him I would be delighted but also I think it would say a lot of negative things about his character.
RUSHIE#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dundalk » Thu May 10, 2007 10:23 pm

Id gladly take him back

He guarantees goals and that is something we need in the team

Think of the big picture
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby KOPMATT » Fri May 11, 2007 12:42 am

I don't feel bitter about Owen, I just don't want him personally IMHO I think he's past his sell by date. Too many injuries even if when fit can score many goals but just doesn't stay fit long enough to acheive this.
KOPMATT

Postby El Nino_#9 » Fri May 11, 2007 1:25 am

VERY INTERESTING..........

watch this link -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWx5RK1G9c0
:O
El Nino_#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Espionage » Fri May 11, 2007 2:35 am

passmeistro_#14 wrote:VERY INTERESTING..........

watch this link -

lol..... funny

???
Espionage
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red_guy » Fri May 11, 2007 3:06 am

Again i would say NO. Why?
1. Injury prone?
2. Loyalty to England only and just dont give a f@ck about clubs and supporters(Liverpool esp.).
"Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Liverpool." Bill Shankly
red_guy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Fri May 11, 2007 7:47 am

From The Times:

Anfield calls for boy who never wanted to leave
By Tim Rich
Last Updated: 1:20am BST 11/05/2007

The question was put to me by the host of an Irish football talkshow but it really should be asked by the Newcastle Evening Chronicle. "Why on earth should a club pay £16 million for a player and then insert a clause in his contract that he can leave for £9 million?" Because they were desperate. Because they were Newcastle United.

The buy-out clause in Michael Owen's contract is exhibit A for the argument that he never really wanted to go to Newcastle. Although his chairman, Freddy Shepherd, might make a desperate plea for the player to show some loyalty to the club for whom he has played 13 games in two seasons, he ought not to feel betrayed. Owen never really wanted to play for Real Madrid either. Like Ian Rush, Owen looks out of place in a black-and-white shirt, let alone an all-white strip. All he has ever wanted to do is play for Liverpool and England.

Given that almost his first act as Liverpool manager was to sell him, it is strange to think that, initially, Owen was far more positive about Rafael Benitez's appointment than Steven Gerrard, who had a deep bond with Gerard Houllier and was for a time suspicious that an influx of Spanish players would make Anfield a Valencia on the Mersey.

Had Houllier stayed, Liverpool would not have reached two European Cup finals but Owen might have remained. As a manager, the Frenchman was inferior to Benitez in every respect bar one. He was far better at dealing with players. Owen needed an arm round his shoulder, to be reminded of what he was to Liverpool and what Liverpool were and could be again. Benitez gave him no reassurances and Real Madrid stood glittering on the horizon. So Owen went and although he could talk about the lifestyle, the fact that in terms of goals per minute played he was a success at the Bernabeu, he was never at the heart of the club as he had been at Liverpool, he was never a galactico.

On the afternoon of Liverpool's European Cup final in Istanbul, Owen was in Madrid conducting a photo-shoot for Esquire magazine. "How was I meant to know?" he remarked. "If Steven Gerrard hadn't scored that goal against Olympiakos, they would have been out in the first round of the Champions League and the third round of the FA Cup. They finished fifth in the league, it would have been their worst season in 20 years." But Gerrard did score, they did win and when Owen, who had made little secret of his desire to return to Anfield, left the Bernabeu after a single trophyless season, neither Liverpool nor Benitez would sanction paying £16 million for someone they had sold for £8 million the summer before.
advertisement

Newcastle is a kind of Real Madrid Lite. If in Danny Blanchflower's words, football is all about the getting of glory, then Newcastle can offer plenty of the synthetic variety. At Bilbao, they call the San Mames Stadium, the "Cathedral" but compared to St James' Park, whose stands dominate the skyline of Tyneside, it is very low church.

The crowds are vast, the salaries huge - Owen was paid nearly £6 million a year - the interest all consuming. There were 15,000 there to watch him sign while Alan Shearer told him how the Gallowgate End reveres its strikers. And they were desperate - hence the suicidally-low buy-out clause.

When Gerrard and Owen discussed moves to hypothetical clubs away from Liverpool they always stipulated that wherever they went should be in the Champions League. Whatever Sam Allardyce is promising it is not an immediate return to Europe's top table but a root-and-branch reform of an institution who have somehow managed to spend more than £236 million in 15 years without winning anything more than the Intertoto Cup.

Owen is 27; he has not played properly since December 2005, he would be a risk for any manager but with American money about to flood through Anfield, Benitez has room to gamble and, as he proved with Peter Crouch and Robbie Fowler, he likes a wild card. It is time to bring the boy home.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Fri May 11, 2007 8:14 am

passmeistro_#14 wrote:VERY INTERESTING..........

watch this link -

Unbelievable Fat Freddy is feckin thick, noway will he stay there now, remember we kicked off like that over his agent aswell  :O
So it is his agent trying to get him out of there again.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 112-1077774096 » Fri May 11, 2007 8:21 am

Ciggy wrote:As a manager, the Frenchman was inferior to Benitez in every respect bar one.

yeah houllier was hardly a master at dealing with players, just ask fowler. he was ok as long as you say "yes mr houllier sir" while jumping to attention
112-1077774096

Postby Thingy » Fri May 11, 2007 12:20 pm

Id love to see him back, but thinking about it, if its true the figure being quoted for Tevez , 12 million, Id much rather have Tevez For the couple of million more. In a ideal world, id love to have them both :D
Thingy

Postby Bad Bob » Fri May 11, 2007 12:25 pm

Thingy wrote:Id love to see him back, but thinking about it, if its true the figure being quoted for Tevez , 12 million, Id much rather have Tevez For the couple of million more. In a ideal world, id love to have them both :D

I think getting both is a realistic target.  Nine million for Owen's a steal and 12 million for Tevez is easily within the budget too.  Moreover, they would compliment each other nicely, with Tevez dropping deep and Owen playing off the shoulder of the CB.  They both make excellent runs in space as well.  A potentially mouth-watering strike partnership when Owen's fit.  My only concern is that Chelsea or Man U will certainly show some interest in Tevez as well, so I doubt the figure will stay at 12 million (if that is indeed a 'realistic' figure in the first place).
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby account deleted by request » Fri May 11, 2007 1:56 pm

Owen put on the spot as Newcastle lose patience
Michael Owen's popularity on Tyneside has reached Albert Luque levels, following his refusal to commit to the club.
Michael WalkerMay 11, 2007 2:34 AM
Name the last three players Newcastle United signed from Spain? That was a question doing the rounds at St James' Park yesterday and it says something about Michael Owen's current status within the club that the answer is: Marcelino, Albert Luque and Owen. There may have been an element of humour involved but to be grouped together with such expensive flops whom the club could not and cannot wait to see depart reveals the level of Owen's standing.

That was confirmed by the chairman Freddy Shepherd's words on Wednesday regarding Owen's perceived lack of commitment to Newcastle, which were so strong they bear repetition. "I'm telling Michael he has two choices," Shepherd said. "He either comes out and tells our fans, who have taken him to their hearts, that he is happy here or I tell him that not one of the big four clubs, Man United, Chelsea, Arsenal or Liverpool, are interested in him."

Owen and his advisors had been offered the opportunity to speak of Owen's commitment publicly but he declined, which incensed the Newcastle chairman and leaves question marks over Owen's future at the club.

Owen was at Chester races on Wednesday afternoon as Shepherd considered the predicament (Sam Allardyce was there yesterday). Owen had zipped out of Newcastle's training ground in the morning to get to his native North-west and it was not lost on Newcastle officials that on the last day of March, when Newcastle lost at home to Manchester City, Owen was in Dubai again watching horse racing.

These are not details that sit easily with the club so, while the rift seems sudden, it has been brewing. All season Shepherd has been in dispute with the Football Association over compensation for Owen's World Cup injury and the suspicion remains within St James' that Owen's knee gave way in Germany because he rushed back from a previous injury to play for England.

Such distrust takes getting over but, if a period of calm breaks out at Newcastle in the coming days, it may be recalled that Owen's non-availability has been as important a factor as his transparent ambition in contributing to where the two parties are today. He has not seen what Newcastle can give him and vice versa.

But calm is not guaranteed; in fact the potential for friction has been in the air almost since the day Owen moved from Real Madrid in August 2005.

To go back, this was a compromise arrangement. Owen wanted out of Spain after a difficult year at the Bernabéu; Newcastle, having allowed Graeme Souness to force out Craig Bellamy and having not scored in their opening four games of the season, wanted a partner for Alan Shearer in Shearer's farewell season. Shearer, friend, colleague and mentor to Owen, was fundamental to the deal. Shearer and Owen also share an agent.

But even Shearer was not as important as money. Liverpool were also interested in bringing Owen back to England but for a valuation as close as possible to the £7m they sold him for. The £17.5m Newcastle slapped on Madrid's table ended that and set in train a transfer that ended with Owen talking of a "spinning head," as 20,000 Geordies greeted him in the sunshine at St James'.

The scale of the transfer, Newcastle's record, and the clauses Owen's people were able to negotiate, may have smacked of the club's desperation, but the 20,000 told a story of sincere welcome and affection. There is a view, inside and outside St James', that Owen has not reciprocated the goodwill, taking £115,000 per week while backing out of the door.

"Michael is an honest man and Liverpool were his first choice," Souness was to explain in the days before Owen returned to Anfield for the first time, four months into his Newcastle career.

But Newcastle's self-esteem is hurt. Tyneside and beyond awaits comment from the 27-year-old with two years left on his contract. Owen may take the opportunity to remind Newcastle that he thinks like a hired hand, not like a Geordie diehard and that the club agreed the get-out clauses.

He could also point out that Newcastle are about to employ their third manager in his 21 months. He could ask Shepherd to look around the dressing room and dare him to declare that this group has been assembled with tactical foresight. Owen could, moreover, ask these questions just a few weeks after becoming the face of Newcastle's latest publicity campaign: "Buy The Shirt, Live The Dream".

What they said then and now

August 2005 After Owen signs for Newcastle their chairman, Freddy Shepherd, denies that the contract contains a get-out clause. 'I have heard a little rumour that Michael has a clause in his contract which states he can leave Newcastle United in one year's time. I can tell you now that he hasn't,' says Shepherd

May 2007 Shepherd demands Owen's loyalty after suggestions that the striker is ready to trigger an escape clause in his contract and move for £9m.Shepherd says it is an attempt 'to flog Owen from under our feet, sourced very close to the player. Michael has two choices: he either tells our fans he is happy here, or I tell him that none of the big four clubs are interested in him. Because that's the case'
account deleted by request

Postby zarababe » Fri May 11, 2007 7:07 pm

Freddy shepherd caught on video phone - with transcript below :D

+ transcriptLiverpool fans: "Freddy, can we have Michael back?"
Freddy: "You what?"
Fans: "Can we have Michael Owen back?"
Freddy: "Flipping Michael..."
Fans: "£9 million! £9 million!"
Freddy: "Listen, I'll ******* carry him back for youse!"
Fans: "Really? For £9 million yeah?"
Freddy: "£9 million."
Fans: "Can he leave for £9 million?"
Freddy: "No. He's a good lad. He's OK, he's a decent lad. What are you doing up here?"
Fans: "We've just come to see what was going on."
Freddy: "Yaaaaahhhh!"
THE BRENDAN REVOLUTION IS UPON US !

KING KENNY.. Always LEGEND !

RAFA.. MADE THE PEOPLE HAPPY !

Miss YOU Phil-Drummer - RIP YNWA

zarababe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Naomi » Sat May 12, 2007 4:48 pm

Not as good as he was IMO but we do need more goals and maybe he could provide them, dont think Benitez would be interested though, he doesn't go backwards, only forwards.
You can buy all the quality you like, but without desire, passion and the insatiable will to win, it’s nothing.
Naomi

Postby hello_red » Sat May 12, 2007 5:14 pm

michael 'ive done my (enter name of bodily part here) in' Owen can shove off.

maybe he would score goals but he walked out, and well theres a better out there.
hello_red
LFC Super Member

PreviousNext

Return to The Rumour Mill