Owen - Dont shoot me

Liverpool Football Club - The Rumour Mill

Postby JC_81 » Wed Nov 26, 2008 12:55 am

I've said plenty of times on here that I wouldn't bring Owen back.  Partly because he's nowhere near the player who left us for Madrid, and partly because I'm still smarting at him running his contract down here and jumping ship at a time when we were in transition and needed our best players to see us through. 

Then there's his reluctance to play hardball with Madrid and taking the easy way out to sign for Newcastle, when if he had the balls to wait until the January window that year, Madrid would have had no option but to drop their asking price to something we saw as acceptable.  He put his England carreer first because the world cup was looming.  His choice.  I didn't agree with it at the time.  In the end we probably got a lucky escape though, because he's played feck all football in the last few years.

All that said, if there ever was a time when it was right to bring Owen back, both economically and in football terms, it's now.  Newcastle want rid and he's for sale at next to nothing in January, they just want him off the wage bill.  He's still capable of scoring goals at this level, and with the way our team is set up he'd get plenty of chances.

Problems? Wages for a start, and of course injuries.  He won't accept pay-as-you-play deals so forget about that.  The question is what is he worth in wages for the amount of games you're likely to get out of him.  He's on over 100k p/w at Newcastle.  I think if he'd accept less than half that with goal/appearance bonuses on top it's be a good deal all round.  Realistically though I can't see it happening.  There will be someone willing to pay more than that, and of course it also depends on whether Benitez would even want him, which I also doubt.

On the actual football side of things though, it would be great to have someone like Owen available from the bench, or to start when Torres is injured/needs a rest.  The addition of him in January could be a masterstroke if Benitez decides to do it imo.
Last edited by JC_81 on Wed Nov 26, 2008 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Reg » Wed Nov 26, 2008 12:06 pm

Kudos to you John for taking the time to write a detailed post like that. For most folks the answer is a simple 'No'.    :laugh:
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Toffeehater » Wed Nov 26, 2008 12:10 pm

Is there a better finisher out there than owen for that price , would be a great partner for torres and keane and him could rotate
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JC_81 » Wed Nov 26, 2008 7:37 pm

Reg wrote:Kudos to you John for taking the time to write a detailed post like that. For most folks the answer is a simple 'No'.    :laugh:

:laugh:

:censored: off Reg!
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Toffeehater » Fri Nov 28, 2008 8:43 am

Still don't think we need owen ? Torres has been injured 3 times already this season . If there's one man capable of filling his place in the side , that is owen .
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JamCar05 » Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:59 am

Toffeehater wrote:Still don't think we need owen ? Torres has been injured 3 times already this season . If there's one man capable of filling his place in the side , that is owen .

No no mate, Owen would be better than Torres, he would have already been injured 4 or 5 times by now  :D
JamCar05

Postby Dundalk » Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:47 am

Rafa has ruled out Owen tonight so we can put this one to bed

"We will have Fernando Torres back soon, and I can assure everyone that clearly we are not going for Michael Owen. Clearly."

Night Night to that so
Last edited by Dundalk on Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby neil » Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:51 am

john craig wrote:I've said plenty of times on here that I wouldn't bring Owen back.  Partly because he's nowhere near the player who left us for Madrid, and partly because I'm still smarting at him running his contract down here and jumping ship at a time when we were in transition and needed our best players to see us through. 

Then there's his reluctance to play hardball with Madrid and taking the easy way out to sign for Newcastle, when if he had the balls to wait until the January window that year, Madrid would have had no option but to drop their asking price to something we saw as acceptable.  He put his England carreer first because the world cup was looming.  His choice.  I didn't agree with it at the time.  In the end we probably got a lucky escape though, because he's played feck all football in the last few years.

All that said, if there ever was a time when it was right to bring Owen back, both economically and in football terms, it's now.  Newcastle want rid and he's for sale at next to nothing in January, they just want him off the wage bill.  He's still capable of scoring goals at this level, and with the way our team is set up he'd get plenty of chances.

Problems? Wages for a start, and of course injuries.  He won't accept pay-as-you-play deals so forget about that.  The question is what is he worth in wages for the amount of games you're likely to get out of him.  He's on over 100k p/w at Newcastle.  I think if he'd accept less than half that with goal/appearance bonuses on top it's be a good deal all round.  Realistically though I can't see it happening.  There will be someone willing to pay more than that, and of course it also depends on whether Benitez would even want him, which I also doubt.

On the actual football side of things though, it would be great to have someone like Owen available from the bench, or to start when Torres is injured/needs a rest.  The addition of him in January could be a masterstroke if Benitez decides to do it imo.

erm.. no
neil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:43 am

Dundalk wrote:Rafa has ruled out Owen tonight so we can put this one to bed

"We will have Fernando Torres back soon, and I can assure everyone that clearly we are not going for Michael Owen. Clearly."

Night Night to that so

Fecking :censored: that. What if Torres gets injured again? or Keane? Bollock.s
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red_guy » Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:28 pm

What if Torres gets injured...and then Keane ....and then it's Owen's turn to get injured...?
Then we're fecked. ooo we should go for baros after that.. .
......  and the answer would be 'NO'.
Last edited by red_guy on Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Liverpool." Bill Shankly
red_guy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Aussie Style » Sat Dec 06, 2008 4:23 am

Toffee, I take it your a fan..but isn't it a bit hipocritical of you considering you were hammering Kewell, yet are begging for Owen to come back..
Short memory my friend, he treated the club worse then Kewell ever did, and would be on higher wages then Kewell and play probably even less. On his day his a freak, exactly what we need really. But is he going to fit our financial capacity? Of course not. Rafa won't take him back. No chance in hell.
Aussie Style
LFC Super Member

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Sat Dec 06, 2008 5:58 am

hey...Milan Baros!!!
maypaxvobiscum

Postby Judge » Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:55 am

bavlondon wrote:
Dundalk wrote:Rafa has ruled out Owen tonight so we can put this one to bed

Night Night to that so

Fecking :censored: that. What if Torres gets injured again? or Keane? Bollock.s

when did bollocks sign for us?

:D
Last edited by Judge on Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:31 am

2 years ago mate. He also goes by the name of Ryan Bablel.:D
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Toffeehater » Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:46 pm

Aussie Style wrote:Toffee, I take it your a fan..but isn't it a bit hipocritical of you considering you were hammering Kewell, yet are begging for Owen to come back..
Short memory my friend, he treated the club worse then Kewell ever did, and would be on higher wages then Kewell and play probably even less. On his day his a freak, exactly what we need really. But is he going to fit our financial capacity? Of course not. Rafa won't take him back. No chance in hell.

1.) I always liked kewell , was one of the few always defending him but he messed up and was always injured .

2.) Owen seems to have his injury troubles behind him and for a cut price like that there is no other better option out there .

3.) We'd saved the money on the transfer already so spending a little more on wages will not matter and if owen is a huge sucess nobody will be going on about his wages .
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to The Rumour Mill