Owen - Dont shoot me

Liverpool Football Club - The Rumour Mill

Postby kopite_1232002 » Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:15 pm

Just looking on newsnow and came across a report that said Owen is waiting to see if Liverpool are going to make a offer for him before he signs a new contract,

I know a lot of people have a problem with him over going to Madrid and then going to the toon, but he did say that the pool were his first choice, and Liverpool wouldn't be held to ransom 16 million Madrid wanted rightly so,

But now with 12 months left to run on his contract i think a 5 million pound bid would secure the number 10 shirt off voronin

If Torres got injured who would u fancy to play in the system we play now, kuyt , voronin or crouch, or Owen

kuyt i like the lad does a OK job on the wing but has proved he ain't gonna cut the mustard as a number 9

voronin no chance looks good in a d&g trackie

crouch you love him or you hate him, he will always bring you goals. but for me he is a good sub, someone you can bring on and change the style of play if its not going your way. hasn't got the pace to play up on his own, holds the ball up well,

You could use Babel but he is unproven, and if Torres was out for a few months then i wouldn't want to bet on him filling his shoes ans scoring the much needed goals.

so we come to Owen, hasn't been injured in a while, and scoring again, he isn't the player we sold to Madrid but if u give him the ball in or around the box id rather have him over any one of our strikers bar Torres, don't forget he is playing in a :censored: team, with the service of the Liverpool mid i think he would give us a good goal return and for 5 mill i think its worth the gamble

------------------------------------------------------------

Is Owen Still Waiting For The Call From Liverpool?

Monday, 21st April 2008

Michael Owen once again refused to say if he was staying at Newcastle, and rumour in Liverpool is that he is STILL waiting for the call from his "spirtual home' at Anfield.

On Sunday post-match discussions were once again dominated by Owen and the proposed talks regarding a new contract.

The fact that Rafa Benitez confirmed he had Owen checked out for a proposed move last summer has sparked the Toon striker to believe he could return to Liverpool.

Benitez said he pulled out of an offer because Owen's injury record was a major concern. But Owen is back to full fitness and he is showing he is playing as well as ever.

The England international has still not given a definitive answer as to whether he intends to stay, although there are plenty of positive indications in his general behaviour, while Keegan is confident he will agree to become the long-term figurehead of the side.

Keegan: "I think he will he stay. He likes it here and we want him here. He is the most important signing we have to make. He is a key player, a leader who leads by example. I think the fans are seeing the very best of him and they like what they see. I'm delighted.

"It would be foolish to search the world for players and not keep the ones who are proven and have the character needed to play for a club like this. We have to keep the quality we have.

"The fans know a great player here. They like their heroes to get sweat on their shirts, like Alan Shearer and Peter Beardsley. Michael is no exception to that. If they don't like him now they never will. They had to learn to love him because of the games he has missed with injury, but I'm sure they won't have a bad word said about him now."
kopite_1232002

Postby Dundalk » Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:18 pm

Ship has sailed om this one.

I wish him all the best at the Barcodes but there is a new kid in town and his name is Fernando
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Manhattan Project » Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:32 pm

He's never coming back.

LFC needs to move on. He owes Newcastle a lot.
china syndrome 80512640 reactor meltdown fusion element
no uniquely indefinable one 5918 identification unknown 113
source transmission 421 general panic hysteria 02 outbreak
foreign mutation 001505 maximum code destruction nuclear
reflection 01044 power plutonium helix atomic energy wave
The Manhattan Project
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:36 pm

The Manhattan Project wrote:He's never coming back.

LFC needs to move on. He owes Newcastle a lot.

Hope that doesn't apply to Hicks and Gillett or we will never get shut of them  :D
account deleted by request

Postby Leonmc0708 » Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:41 pm

I would love to see him in a red shirt, he's made my day plenty of times.

Water under the bridge ?
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby puroresu » Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:45 pm

How long does this story have to run for?  I dont want Owen.  I dont think Rafa wants him.  We dont need him.  He probably would love to come back but we have moved on.
puroresu

Postby JC_81 » Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:46 pm

I've watched Owen in his last few games for Newcastle and he's playing surprisingly well in his role behind the front 2.  No longer has the pace but he times his forays into the box well and can still get goals at this level.

However, it is sad to say but it's probably only a matter of time until he picks up another injury, it has been the same old story for him probably even stretching back to before he left us towards the end.  Too injury prone now and I also agree that he owes Newcastle a hell of a lot after what they invested in him.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JC_81 » Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:47 pm

Leonmc0708 wrote:I would love to see him in a red shirt, he's made my day plenty of times.

Water under the bridge ?

The trouble is Leon, if we signed him how often would we actually see him in a red shirt.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jonnymac1979 » Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:03 pm

I can't see it happening myself anymore.  I don't think he'll ever play for us again.

Injury prone or not, I'd have him back in a heartbeat though if we showed any concrete interest in him.  He's deadly.  The movement for his headed goal against Sunderland was top class.  He also showed some pace for a 28 year old player who plys his trade a lot deeper these days. 

At one point in the second half he went past a defender the way Torres does when he makes it look easy (think Torres vs Ben Haim at Anfield) and put a decent cross over with his left foot which nearly led to a scoring opportunity.

I'm of the opinion that Michael Owen is not quite as finished as everyone would like to think, and if we could get him for a steal, I'd have him back no problem.

Regarding the Voronin comments and the general opinion that you 'need' four top class strikers to compete, I would say that it's a no-brainer to show interest in an available Michael Owen.  Whether Rafa thinks so is another matter altogether.
jonnymac1979

Postby supersub » Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:05 pm

OH DEAR  :sleep
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW SHINING AT THE END OF EVERY DAY.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW AND TOMORROW IS JUST A DREAM AWAY.
supersub
Forum Moderator

Postby ruskiy playmaker » Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:57 pm

If he took a big paycut then why not?  He could be a great backup for Torres.
[img]http://i42.tinypic.com/lkw42.gif[img]
ruskiy playmaker

Postby Toffeehater » Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:49 pm

Owen is back , 6 goals in his last 6 games , he's a better finisher then nando but nando has the ability to create spaces and openings for himself for a shot which owen rarely could do that well
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby neil » Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:14 pm

as if, :D
neil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby destro » Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:27 pm

Never say never in football, for what it is worth I think the story is a load of cr@p BUT if we had the chance to sign him I would have him back in a second, how is pairing the best English striker with the best Spanish striker a bad thing ?

The main worry is if he is over the injuries that have limited his games
destro

Postby Bad Bob » Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:33 pm

Cue the 'Owen or Henry?' poll. :D
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Next

Return to The Rumour Mill