Crouch can go for £10million

Liverpool Football Club - The Rumour Mill

Postby account deleted by request » Fri Nov 16, 2007 2:34 am

Crouch can leave Liverpool for £10m
By JOHN EDWARDS - More by this author »

Last updated at 22:13pm on 15th November 2007

Comments

Liverpool will spark a £10million transfer auction after deciding to sell Peter Crouch to the highest bidder in January.

Crouch's future has been the subject of intense speculation this season but now manager Rafa Benitez has finally lost patience after seeing a change in the striker's attitude.

On his way out? Peter Crouch
Read more...

Benitez driven on by desperation to win Premier League, insists Reina
Gerrard: Stop the foreign invasion
Liverpool fan could be freed following Bulgarian breakthrough
Hicks denies interest in Roma
Gerrard: There's no point sacking McClaren

The Liverpool manager believes Crouch's status as an England player has turned his head, to the detriment of the work ethic that made him such a valuable team player when he arrived from Southampton for £7m in 2005.

Benitez has instructed Anfield chiefs to secure the best possible price for 26-yearold Crouch. There will be no shortage of offers, with early signs of interest from Newcastle, Portsmouth and Aston Villa, one of his former clubs.

A move abroad is believed to appeal to Crouch, with Juventus in the market for a front-runner.

Casting an eye towards the Premier League, Liverpool's initial valuation could prove a stumbling block. Manchester City dropped out after being quoted £15m.

Sportsmail understands that Crouch is prepared to dig his heels in and see out the remaining 18 months of his contract if Liverpool insist on £15m. It seems likely the club will have to lower their sights to around £10m for a New Year deal to go through.

Crouch's expected departure may not be the only one after Momo Sissoko demanded showdown talks over his lack of opportunities this season.

The 22-year-old Mali midfielder has made only four Premier League starts and sees little hope of forcing his way back after slipping behind Javier Mascherano and Xabi Alonso for a place alongside Steven Gerrard.

He wants to grill Benitez over his standing and is ready to demand a move in January if the manager cannot convince him he will have a more active role in the second half of the season.

Liverpool only just pipped Everton to the former Valencia player's signature and there is certain to be strong interest from the Premier League as well as a host of foreign clubs, headed by Juventus, jostling for the chance to offer him a fresh start.

Daniel Agger has set his sights on a return to action against Newcastle a week tomorrow, following a 13-game absence with a broken metatarsal.

'I have had to miss out on Denmark's game in Northern Ireland, but I hope to be ready to play for Liverpool after the international break,' said the 22-year old centre-back.

Benitez, who will give Sami Hyypia an overdue rest if Agger is passed fit, says Yossi Benayoun has only an outside chance of making the lunchtime kick-off at St James' Park. He has been forced to rule out Alonso, who has suffered another foot injury.

Benitez said: 'Yossi is working with the physios now. We will have to see if he is fit for Newcastle; it's still too early to say.

'He and Agger are “maybes” but perhaps it will be easier for Agger than for Benayoun. Xabi should start running in the next week but he is a “no” for Newcastle, for sure.'
account deleted by request

Postby hello_red » Fri Nov 16, 2007 3:38 am

Thats erm interesting, if its all based on fact we could be heading towards a very active January.
hello_red
LFC Super Member

Postby JoeTerp » Fri Nov 16, 2007 4:20 am

plus Hicks was just gifted 10 million pounds by A-rod opting out of his contract.  :D
JoeTerp

Postby LFC2007 » Fri Nov 16, 2007 4:43 am

s@int wrote:He wants to grill Benitez over his standing and is ready to demand a move in January if the manager cannot convince him he will have a more active role in the second half of the season.

Would any of our players really 'grill' Rafa metaphorically speaking?

No.

Rafa wouldn't sign a player with the type of attitude implied by this author, Billy Hooks.
LFC2007

Postby babu » Fri Nov 16, 2007 8:34 am

LFC2007 wrote:Rafa wouldn't sign a player with the type of attitude implied by this author, Billy Hooks.

Agree with you LFC2007, but if i wanted to nit-pick, Heinze would have been that type of player if signed, purely based on his actions at Manchester United.

babu
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Fri Nov 16, 2007 9:53 am

A bit more about Sissoko, with some nice support from Didi

Sissoko seeks Liverpool future reassurance
By Vicki Hodges
Last Updated: 7:21am GMT 16/11/2007

Liverpool midfielder Momo Sissoko wants to speak to coach Rafael Benitez to find out whether he has a future at Anfield.

Mali international Sissoko has been frustrated by his lack of first-team opportunities this season and has fallen down the pecking order since the arrival of Javier Mascherano and the emergence of 20-year-old Brazilian Lucas Leiva.

Sissoko, 22, joined Liverpool in a £5.6 million deal from Valencia in July 2005, and despite making an impact last season, has failed to continue his good form into the current campaign.

Former Liverpool midfielder Didi Hamann has urged Benitez to stand by the player and believes that he will recapture his form once confidence returns to his game.

Hamann, who left Anfield for Manchester City last summer, said: "Momo is only young but I think he offers them something different from Mascherano and Stevie (Gerrard), in that he is a real ball winner.

"He covers as much ground as anyone and wins a lot of balls. But he's obviously not as high in confidence as he should be.

"If he gets a few games under his belt and keeps it simple, he'll be alright. When I was there I think his passing improved and I expected him to continue to play well.

"I haven't seen all the games this season but I think he'll be okay and recapture the form that saw him do so well when he first arrived."

Postby RUSHIE#9 » Fri Nov 16, 2007 1:27 pm

If the above story about Crouch is true then I think £10m would be a fair price considering he's heading into the last 18 months of his contract.

The work ethic comment is a bit strange though as whenever he's been given a chance in matches he's seems to work as hard as he always has done. It's possible that he may not be doing the work in training I suppose but this does sound a bit like that good ol' journalistic licence to bend the truth to me! :;):
RUSHIE#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bunglemark2 » Fri Nov 16, 2007 1:32 pm

Wonder if we could do a deal with Newcastle for a certain Mr Owen....at a drastically reduced fee, of course....hmmmm....the plot thickens
http://s2.tinypic.com/30ldif7_th.jpg
See yooo, Judas. Yoo're gettin' on mah titz !
bunglemark2

Postby babu » Fri Nov 16, 2007 2:40 pm

bunglemark2 wrote:Wonder if we could do a deal with Newcastle for a certain Mr Owen....at a drastically reduced fee, of course....hmmmm....the plot thickens

why?

babu
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Fri Nov 16, 2007 2:52 pm

RUSHIE#9 wrote:If the above story about Crouch is true then I think £10m would be a fair price considering he's heading into the last 18 months of his contract.

The work ethic comment is a bit strange though as whenever he's been given a chance in matches he's seems to work as hard as he always has done. It's possible that he may not be doing the work in training I suppose but this does sound a bit like that good ol' journalistic licence to bend the truth to me! :;):

I am not sure about the work ethic bit , I have thought every time Crouch has played recently that he hasn't been dropping deep or running out to the wings as much as he usually does.

I was actually pleased because I thought it added to his game to be more central and forward. (shows how much I know  :D  )

Postby neil » Fri Nov 16, 2007 3:10 pm

bunglemark2 wrote:Wonder if we could do a deal with Newcastle for a certain Mr Owen....at a drastically reduced fee, of course....hmmmm....the plot thickens

:laugh:  ???
neil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bunglemark2 » Fri Nov 16, 2007 3:20 pm

babu wrote:

why?

That was posted, folks, with tongue in cheek.....I thought I'd beat WelshWizzard to it !!
http://s2.tinypic.com/30ldif7_th.jpg
See yooo, Judas. Yoo're gettin' on mah titz !
bunglemark2

Postby Judge » Fri Nov 16, 2007 5:34 pm

bunglemark2 wrote:
babu wrote:

why?

That was posted, folks, with tongue in cheek.....I thought I'd beat WelshWizzard to it !!

perhaps you are welsh wizzard

:D
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 66-1112520797 » Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:39 pm

Crouch should not be sold. Kuyt or Voronin should make way.

Crouch is our second best striker, if we sell him and going on Rafa's purchase's of forwards Torres apart. We'll be in for one hell of a goal drought.
66-1112520797

Postby account deleted by request » Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:51 pm

Bamaga man wrote:Crouch should not be sold. Kuyt or Voronin should make way.

Crouch is our second best striker, if we sell him and going on Rafa's purchase's of forwards Torres apart. We'll be in for one hell of a goal drought.

Thats my worry Bamaga...... is Torres THAT good or does he just look that good in comparison to the other 3. IE would we be as worried/dependent on Torres playing if we had say Owen ,Trezeguet and Crouch in the squad?

Next

Return to The Rumour Mill