If the unthinkable happened - We finish outside the top 4

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby mart » Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:16 pm

NANNY RED wrote:
mart wrote:
NANNY RED wrote:The way i feel at the moment im not ar,sed if we finish outside the top four tbh, Maybe it would be a blessing in disguise , it might get rid of them to b,astards

That depends on who they would sell it to if they will sell at all. Dropping out of the CL, beeing forced to sell our top players. Perhaps we end up as newcastle.

To be honest Mart who ever they did sell to needs to have enough finance behind them to get us out the Sh.it were in now,otherwise we could end up like that anyway, enough money to pay off there loan plus tranfer funds and new stadium. but most important of all a love for this club, oh i know im living in dreamland that someone is out there who fill all that criteria , but let me dream.

Im just wondering how many people on here would take a gamble on us finishing outside the top 4 if it meant getting rid of them

You would hope so, but the last time Liverpool was sold we got G&H. Why would the new owners be different? I cant imagine that G&H cares one bit if the new owner loves the club or not.
mart
LFC Super Member

Postby tubby » Sun Apr 11, 2010 5:01 pm

When I made this thread in my mind I was only flirting with the prospect of actually finishing outside the top 4. But after today we could even finish 6th. We need to win the Europa league and salvage some pride!
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:17 pm

The unthinkable has been thunk, like the unsinkable titanic
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Greavesie » Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:19 pm

September 1st, good shout Bav, you t0sser :D

ifithadntbeenforbav
All round the fields of Anfield Road
Where once we watched the King Kenny play (and could he play!)
Stevie Heighway on the wing
We had dreams and songs to sing
'Bout the glory, round the Fields of Anfield Road

JFT 96 - Gone but never forgotten
YNWA 15/4/1989
God Bless You All
Greavesie

Postby stmichael » Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:10 pm

bavlondon wrote:When I made this thread in my mind I was only flirting with the prospect of actually finishing outside the top 4. But after today we could even finish 6th. We need to win the Europa league and salvage some pride!

Agree 100%

Modern day football is all about money and that does my head in. Liverpool exist to win trophies end of.

And for those who turn their nose up at the Europa League, don't even bother coming on here the day after if we win it. They'll be certain people who come back on here and still have a pop at the manager the day after we possibly win it anyway.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby andy_g » Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:24 pm

fair enough. liverpool fc is all about winning trophies, but it is all about winning one trophy in particular - the league championship. we made that trophy our own for a long long time, and after a period of underachievement we let the mancs catch up. we are now further away from winning it again than we have been for a long time. i'll celebrate like crazy if we win the europa cup, but the overwhelming sense of disappointment about what has happened to our standing in the english game will not go away.

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Big Niall » Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:02 pm

stmichael wrote:
bavlondon wrote:When I made this thread in my mind I was only flirting with the prospect of actually finishing outside the top 4. But after today we could even finish 6th. We need to win the Europa league and salvage some pride!

Agree 100%

Modern day football is all about money and that does my head in. Liverpool exist to win trophies end of.

And for those who turn their nose up at the Europa League, don't even bother coming on here the day after if we win it. They'll be certain people who come back on here and still have a pop at the manager the day after we possibly win it anyway.

I don't care about that trophy. I mean Fulham are still in it so it is hardly a great achievement. I hope he is fired for his incompetence.
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby leep33 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:04 pm

I hope we win it at least it will mean we will not have to rely on finishing 5th to be in europe next season.
leep33

Postby account deleted by request » Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:08 pm

Big Niall wrote:
stmichael wrote:

Agree 100%

I don't care about that trophy. I mean Fulham are still in it so it is hardly a great achievement. I hope he is fired for his incompetence.

To be fair, at least Fulham had to win something to be in it (the inter-toto  :D ) we are in it because we lost too many games :(

Maybe we can win the inter-toto cup next season  :D
account deleted by request

Postby Greavesie » Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:16 pm

leep33 wrote:I hope we win it at least it will mean we will not have to rely on finishing 5th to be in europe next season.

correct me if I'm wrong but because Chelsea are in the CL and Portsmouth cant go into Europe doesnt it mean Europe also goes to sixth place as well?
All round the fields of Anfield Road
Where once we watched the King Kenny play (and could he play!)
Stevie Heighway on the wing
We had dreams and songs to sing
'Bout the glory, round the Fields of Anfield Road

JFT 96 - Gone but never forgotten
YNWA 15/4/1989
God Bless You All
Greavesie

Postby Reg » Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:03 pm

Real Madrid fans look towards prodigal son Benitez - Feature

Mon, 12 Apr 2010 09:32:04 GMT

Madrid - Liverpool boss Rafa Benitez is the favourite of the fans to be the next coach of Real Madrid.

This is the conclusion to be drawn from an online poll taken by sports daily Marca, in which 8,310 votes had been cast by mid-Monday.

Marca, which is close to Real president Florentino Perez, said that present coach Manuel Pellegrini will not continue next season, with the final nail in his coffin being the 2-0 home defeat in Saturday's "Clasico" against arch-rivals Barcelona.

A large number of 44.2 per cent voted for Benitez, who has never hidden his desire to return to the Estadio Bernabeu, in the Marca poll.

Benitez was a player in the club's youth sections but didn't make the grade. He then took up coaching at an early age, and was assistant to caretaker coach Vicente del Bosque - now manager of Spain - briefly in 1994.

Liverpool have endured a disappointing season and, according to Marca on Monday, may be prepared to let Benitez go.

Second in the Marca poll was Jose Mourinho, with 33.7 per cent of the vote.

Mourinho's contract with Inter Milan still has two years to run but there is apparently an "escape clause" in it, albeit an expensive one for the Portuguese coach.

Mourinho would make himself even more attractive to the "madridista" fans if Inter manage to overcome Barca in the semi- finals of the Champions League and thus avoid the prospect of Barca playing in the final in the Estadio Bernabeu.

England manager Fabio Capello - who guided Real to the Spanish title in 1997 and 2007, only to be sacked straight afterwards on both occasions - has taken 12.3 per cent of the vote, Luiz Felipe Scolari 5.7 per cent and Carlo Ancelotti 4.2 per cent.

Interestingly, Marca have not put Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger into the poll.

Wenger was offered the Real job last summer, ahead of Pellegrini, but turned it down.

Real director general Jorge Valdano persuaded Perez not to sack Pellegrini immediately after a 4-0 cup humiliation in October against third division part-timers Alcorcon, and said straight after the March 10 Champions League elimination against Olympique Lyon that Pellegrini will continue next season.

Perez became known as a "devourer of coaches" during his first spell as president, from 2000 to 2006, which finished with his hasty resignation in February 2006.

The whites have gone through nine different coaches in the last seven years since Perez controversially sacked the popular Del Bosque in June 2003.

According to Marca's rival AS on Monday, Valdano and Perez held an impromptu hour-long "emergency meeting" immediately after the Barca defeat, which leaves the whites three points behind Lionel Messi and company.

It seems that Valdano still has faith in Pellegrini, whereas Perez wants Valdano to start considering who should replace the Chilean in the summer.

Valdano told the media after the meeting, in the early hours of Sunday, that "it is not the right moment to talk about possible future coaches ... There are seven games left and we must not think about anything else."

Later on Sunday, Valdano insisted that "the league is not lost. Neither the coach nor the players are going to let down their guard. There are 21 points left to play for and it would be immoral for us to throw in the towel."

He added that "if we win the last seven matches, then we will finish with 98 points, an all-time league record."

Valdano refused to talk about summer signings, and finished by saying that Pellegrini "has our complete support."
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tonyeh » Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:07 pm

stmichael wrote:

Agree 100%

+1

If you're in a tournament, then you should make the effort to win the damn thing.

I hate the way the League Cup has descended to the joke it is at the moment and the FA Cup is going down the toilet too.

If teams aren't interested in playing for the damn prize, then withdraw.

I want Liverpool to go all out for this bit of Euro tin.

It's just a pity that Benitez didn't give a crap about the Premiership too.
tonyeh

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion