Can fans help fund a player directly?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby RedShredder » Sun May 17, 2009 1:49 am

heimdall wrote:
JoeTerp wrote:" In 1997, Gator Boosters Inc. raised $16.2 million in contributions, according to its 990 tax filing, a form used by nonprofit organizations. In 2002, it brought in $23.7 million in public support - or more than a third of Florida's athletic budget.

Many variables influence giving, but Florida State may provide the most direct link between winning and wealth, pride and pocketbook. In the year before Florida State won the 1999 national title, Seminole Boosters Inc. recorded $16.6 million in support. In 2000, contributions jumped to $31.4 million. "

"T. Boone Pickens, an Oklahoma State alumnus, has donated over $290 million dollars to Oklahoma State over his lifetime (ESPN.com).  Boone Pickens had the Oklahoma State Cowboys football stadium dedicated in his name for his contribution"

Yeah I like this idea a hell of a lot, as usual America is way ahead of the curve.
Why doesn't this Liverpool share thing just turn itself into a booster club, I would happily pay money into something like that, and I'm a hell of a lot of other fans would as well, including a lot of overseas fans who can't go to games etc and therefore don't pay much money at all to watch their beloved team every year apart from license fees etc.

It isn't as simple or as straight-forward as those numbers suggest since both UF/FSU use most of that money for purposes OTHER than paying someones salary, etc.....

I attended University here in the States and am part of the 4th biggest booster club and it really isn't all that it is cracked up to be.

If we do this, it may help us fund some improvements here or there, but it would not be anywhere near the success that I think some here believe

Remember, those numbers for Florida, Florida State, Georgia, and others....are Universities...not Professional team

You don't see booster clubs for NFL, MLB, NBA teams
"Some people believe football is a matter of life and death, I am very disappointed with that attitude. I can assure you it is much, much more important than that." Bill Shankly
RedShredder

Postby Lando_Griffin » Sun May 17, 2009 7:58 am

heimdall wrote:
JoeTerp wrote:" In 1997, Gator Boosters Inc. raised $16.2 million in contributions, according to its 990 tax filing, a form used by nonprofit organizations. In 2002, it brought in $23.7 million in public support - or more than a third of Florida's athletic budget.

Many variables influence giving, but Florida State may provide the most direct link between winning and wealth, pride and pocketbook. In the year before Florida State won the 1999 national title, Seminole Boosters Inc. recorded $16.6 million in support. In 2000, contributions jumped to $31.4 million. "

"T. Boone Pickens, an Oklahoma State alumnus, has donated over $290 million dollars to Oklahoma State over his lifetime (ESPN.com).  Boone Pickens had the Oklahoma State Cowboys football stadium dedicated in his name for his contribution"

Yeah I like this idea a hell of a lot, as usual America is way ahead of the curve.
Why doesn't this Liverpool share thing just turn itself into a booster club, I would happily pay money into something like that, and I'm a hell of a lot of other fans would as well, including a lot of overseas fans who can't go to games etc and therefore don't pay much money at all to watch their beloved team every year apart from license fees etc.

So what when the inevitable happens and Rafa signs a player you don't rate with the money you put up?

It's a recipe for utter disaster.

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby roberto green » Sun May 17, 2009 8:22 am

What if we done a raffle type thing or a Rafa Raffle :D ?

Each saturday like the lottery there is a chance with Rafa's Raffle of winning a full expenses trip of any choice to watch the reds for a £5 fee and say £100,000 every Sat bet on it the club will be getting £500,000 every sat and a lucky fan will get a full hospitality day out.

Come on For Rafa's Raffle?

:D :D
roberto green

Postby JoeTerp » Sun May 17, 2009 11:03 am

RedShredder wrote:
heimdall wrote:

It isn't as simple or as straight-forward as those numbers suggest since both UF/FSU use most of that money for purposes OTHER than paying someones salary, etc.....

I attended University here in the States and am part of the 4th biggest booster club and it really isn't all that it is cracked up to be.

If we do this, it may help us fund some improvements here or there, but it would not be anywhere near the success that I think some here believe

Remember, those numbers for Florida, Florida State, Georgia, and others....are Universities...not Professional team

You don't see booster clubs for NFL, MLB, NBA teams

in the NFL and NBA there are salary caps, so having extra money doesn't mean anything.

And yes there are a lot of loopholes in University Booster Clubs that limit how much of the money can actually go to the team, but there is no reason why that would not be the case with an LFC version, because there isn't LFC womens softball team that needs funding, or an LFC basketball court.

I am not 100% sure on this, but I think that donations to university booster clubs in America are tax deductable, and that certainly would not be the case in an LFC version because LFC is not an institute of higher learning.

@ Lando, there is no reason why the Booster Club would not put in provisions in that either Rafa had to pick from a list that the club provided, or the club had to pick from a list that Rafa provided given the amount of funds available.
JoeTerp

Postby SundanceKid » Sun May 17, 2009 7:29 pm

Think what'll happen once United's supporters get in on that same deal.
"Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool red"
SundanceKid

Postby ICE-MAN » Mon May 18, 2009 4:19 pm

Very True sundance Kid, thats a good point!

Anyway I think its something to look into, especially if one day in the future the fans got full ownership of the club, like SOS are trying to achieve!

I pitched the idea to SOS and wondered had they any views on it as an option going forward! They emailed me back and basically said altho it seems like a decent idea, they wudnt want to do anything that could potentially prolong the stay of the Yanks, which is a fair point i think, but will however raise it at a meeting to get some feedback and views on it!

SOS could even incorporate it into their plans for takin over the club, that booster clubs such as those used in america like Joe Terp says, could be used in conjunction with the takeover of the club!

Think SOS's main aims at the moment are to put pressure on RBS not to refinance the loan or offer attractive terms to the yanks!!
ICE-MAN

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion