Can fans help fund a player directly?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby ICE-MAN » Thu May 14, 2009 9:43 am

Was having a chat with a mate last night (whilst having a few beers) and we got onto the topic of fans gettin involved in once off purchases??

Now i know the whole Fans thing trying to take over Liverpool etc but lets be honest in the current economic climate and with a lot of people losing jobs etc, theres no way that amount of people will be able to raise the 5 grand or whatever each!

But for the time being, whats stopping say 500,000 fans (a modest amount compared to our huge fan base) all donating £25 each (not gonna break the bank) which should be directly given to Rafas coffers as a £12.5m payment for transfers on top of what the Yanks are gonna 'borrow' for transfers!!!

Surely some sort of a legal charity structure could be set up for the fans to invest this money, instead of at present the only way of investing in the club is really all the fans buying jerseys and adidas making a mint from us etc!!

Could the crowd lookin to take over LFC for the fans start aiming at this for the time being? Thoughts anyone?
ICE-MAN

Postby Festy » Thu May 14, 2009 9:48 am

I understand you sentiments mate but even if something like this is possible then it would be called 'donation'. Not 'investment'. Fans won't get anything back in terms of money. Profits made (winning trophies etc..) from the purchase of fan's money will go into club's bank account not in fans' bank accounts.
ImageImageImage

-----YOU WILL NEVER WALK ALONE. WILL YOU ?-----
Festy

Postby ICE-MAN » Thu May 14, 2009 10:51 am

Well im sure there are many thousands of fans who would be happy to 'donate' £25 each in order to get one or two players from the higher end of the scale!  Their return wud hopefully be the joy of winning the league and champions league etc!

Any profit would obviously go into the clubs coffers, but to help the club with revenue etc to build stadiums and improve the club, hopefully not into the pockets of the owners!!!
ICE-MAN

Postby tubby » Thu May 14, 2009 11:22 am

Id donate that. But I don't think the club would accept such donations for players would they?
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby we all dream... » Thu May 14, 2009 2:23 pm

It's a cracking idea though. Id certainly offer 25quid if it meant a world class signing in the summer!
we all dream...
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JoeTerp » Thu May 14, 2009 3:09 pm

In America we call them Booster Clubs, and they are pretty powerful.
JoeTerp

Postby kopite_1232002 » Thu May 14, 2009 3:24 pm

I know it's sad but I was thinkin the other day if I won the euro millions I'd buy villa and give him to Liverpool . But I know if a 25 donation was set up and it ment we had an extra 10 million to spend I'd do it and many otheres would. Thing is the yanks would most prob drop what they give rafa by 10 million
kopite_1232002

Postby 7_Kewell » Thu May 14, 2009 3:33 pm

hang on, LFC gets millions from shirt sales, TV deals, and selling tickets. Liverpool FC is a global brand....why on earth would we need to give them MORE money?!

And 25 quid each wouldn;t go anywhere...signing on fees and wages are the big problem.
Last edited by 7_Kewell on Thu May 14, 2009 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby taff » Thu May 14, 2009 3:38 pm

I agree with 7 Kewell but would happily give 25 quid if we raised millions for youth development of local youngsters
taff
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RedBen » Thu May 14, 2009 3:41 pm

If I won the Euro Millions I'd buy us a stadium :D
RedBen
LFC Super Member

Postby ICE-MAN » Thu May 14, 2009 4:08 pm

I know the club makes millions from being a global brand but obviously were not getting enough to go out and shop at the higher end of the market! Cant break the bank and get the likes of Villa or Eto'o or Aguero, or even Dani Alves when he became available!

500,000 supporters giving £25 each is £12.5m, add that to the £20-25m that the owners will provide for Rafa and suddenly we get quite powerful in the transfer market!

If the Spirit of Shankly crowd were to take such an idea on board and see it through think of the media interest it would create and would add a bit more profile to their idea of buying the whole club or half the club, when other people can see that stuff like this is possible!
ICE-MAN

Postby Kharhaz » Thu May 14, 2009 4:08 pm

Right here in Grimsby, our fans got involved in signing a player. Ivano Bonetti. The club needed £100,000 to sign him. Half was raised by the player himself and half by the supporters.
Bill Shankly: “I was the best manager in Britain because I was never devious or cheated anyone. I’d break my wife’s legs if I played against her, but I’d never cheat her.”
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby burjennio » Thu May 14, 2009 4:22 pm

probably be better trying to raise the money for a stadium., anyone got any estimates?
burjennio

Postby metalhead » Thu May 14, 2009 4:26 pm

Kharhaz wrote:Right here in Grimsby, our fans got involved in signing a player. Ivano Bonetti. The club needed £100,000 to sign him. Half was raised by the player himself and half by the supporters.

Lets tell Tevez to raise the 31,999,999 and we will raise the 1 quid :D
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ICE-MAN » Thu May 14, 2009 4:29 pm

Stadiums wud be a tad out of our price range i reckon - if fans were to raise £200m at £50 per head, we would need 4 million fans to donate!!

Anyways, Ive just sent a big email off to the Spirit of Shankly group just to see if such an idea has been suggested or discussed, I will let you know if I hear anything!

I think a fugure of £25 by 500,000 fans is well achievable, particularly if the SOS got involved due to their expertise and support!

Would prove to a lot of people that potential ownership of the club could work if we got the numbers supporting the idea!
ICE-MAN

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion