Can fans help fund a player directly?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby 7_Kewell » Thu May 14, 2009 4:29 pm

Kharhaz wrote:Right here in Grimsby, our fans got involved in signing a player. Ivano Bonetti. The club needed £100,000 to sign him. Half was raised by the player himself and half by the supporters.

And I praise those sorts of initiatives because times are tough for the smaller clubs. AFC Wimbledon is funded solely by its fans and has now broken into the conference after being started from scratch a few years ago.

But ALL top flight clubs rip off the fans with ticket prices, shirts, and fan club membership.
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kharhaz » Thu May 14, 2009 4:29 pm

metalhead wrote:
Kharhaz wrote:Right here in Grimsby, our fans got involved in signing a player. Ivano Bonetti. The club needed £100,000 to sign him. Half was raised by the player himself and half by the supporters.

Lets tell Tevez to raise the 31,999,999 and we will raise the 1 quid :D

:D Or if were struggling for a quid we do have a bucket of fish deboned of course !
Last edited by Kharhaz on Thu May 14, 2009 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bill Shankly: “I was the best manager in Britain because I was never devious or cheated anyone. I’d break my wife’s legs if I played against her, but I’d never cheat her.”
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby metalhead » Thu May 14, 2009 4:31 pm

Kharhaz wrote:
metalhead wrote:

Lets tell Tevez to raise the 31,999,999 and we will raise the 1 quid :D

:D Or of were struggling for a quid we do have a bucket of fish deboned of course !

Maybe we will chip in for his dental care as well :D
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kharhaz » Thu May 14, 2009 4:32 pm

7_Kewell wrote:

And I praise those sorts of initiatives because times are tough for the smaller clubs. AFC Wimbledon is funded solely by its fans and has now broken into the conference after being started from scratch a few years ago.

But ALL top flight clubs rip off the fans with ticket prices, shirts, and fan club membership.

Thats true, didnt man utd get in trouble a while back for shamelessly ripping off there own supporters ?
Bill Shankly: “I was the best manager in Britain because I was never devious or cheated anyone. I’d break my wife’s legs if I played against her, but I’d never cheat her.”
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Emerald Red » Thu May 14, 2009 4:35 pm

Hmm, noble idea, but f*ck that! The club gets more than enough money out of the fans' pockets, too much in fact. Why should the fans pay through the nose, when those d*ckheads at Euefa should be doing something to curb the spending habbits of certain clubs so that maybe players wouldn't cost the ridiculous amounts of money they do. It's out of hand enough as it is without the fans suffering for it. It would also cause massive problems with the fanbase too. Imagine most fans forking out money from their own pockets to buy a player, and that player ends up being a Berbatov?
Emerald Red
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Octsky » Thu May 14, 2009 4:46 pm

if fans donate it will made the club looks bad..we are not doncaster united or green forest. it like a grown up kid asking the parent's for money.
Octsky
LFC Super Member

Postby 7_Kewell » Thu May 14, 2009 4:53 pm

Kharhaz wrote:
7_Kewell wrote:

Thats true, didnt man utd get in trouble a while back for shamelessly ripping off there own supporters ?

yeah they have. They change their shirts almost every year and they have recently put up their ticket prices.
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby oreilly » Thu May 14, 2009 5:09 pm

Id give 50 euro ! Id get a lot more enjoyment out of watching David Villa than 10 pints in the local
oreilly

Postby roberto green » Thu May 14, 2009 5:14 pm

I think it is a ridiculous Idea.We are already getting ripped off and paying more than the £25 in inflated prices to the club for tickets,merchandise and footie tops etc.

Just imagine we the fans raised this money and Rafa went out with 12.5m of our money and bought someone that was utter shiite,The abuse he would get knowing we have clubbed together for the player.

We could then sell hm half price and get our money back at £12.50 per person

On the other hand if he was a hit and we doubled our money we could get £50 selling on fee

Not a bad idea actually.....NOT

:D
roberto green

Postby JoeTerp » Thu May 14, 2009 5:41 pm

Booster Clubs wield lots of power over here, I would imagine an LFC Booster club could be very powerful. And further, I would imagine there would be a dialouge between all the club members (who would then elect a board) and it would be communicated to the board the players the fans wanted, and then the board would talk with Rafa to see if any names on the lists matched, and if the player was in the price range.  I would imagine the club would set up certain rules about donating a certain amount of money to be used strictly for local development/recruitment, and then other rules about with holding funds if the club members disagree with the players the manager wants to bring in.  Eventually the club would become dependent on the Booster's money, which would give the Booster club some serious leverage.

Usually clubs have different levels of membership ranging from donating $50 to $5,000 to $50,000 and all sorts of levels in between, and you get something for each level like some kind of merchandise or get invited to a Booster Club dinner with the manger and players (with the more you donate the greater the benefits)

If you don't like the idea, then you don't have to join.
JoeTerp

Postby JoeTerp » Thu May 14, 2009 5:46 pm

It seems to me that nobody wants to see G&H get their hands on any money, but people also want Rafa to be given funds. Under a normal club, you would think the profits from things like shirt sales could find their way into player sales, so supporting your club by buying the shirt seems even more worth it because you get a shirt and the club gets money.  But when the money goes to loan interest payments, nobody is for that, so a system where the money is directly raised for Rafa could seem more appealing.
JoeTerp

Postby JoeTerp » Thu May 14, 2009 5:54 pm

" In 1997, Gator Boosters Inc. raised $16.2 million in contributions, according to its 990 tax filing, a form used by nonprofit organizations. In 2002, it brought in $23.7 million in public support - or more than a third of Florida's athletic budget.

Many variables influence giving, but Florida State may provide the most direct link between winning and wealth, pride and pocketbook. In the year before Florida State won the 1999 national title, Seminole Boosters Inc. recorded $16.6 million in support. In 2000, contributions jumped to $31.4 million. "

"T. Boone Pickens, an Oklahoma State alumnus, has donated over $290 million dollars to Oklahoma State over his lifetime (ESPN.com).  Boone Pickens had the Oklahoma State Cowboys football stadium dedicated in his name for his contribution"
JoeTerp

Postby RedShredder » Sat May 16, 2009 5:04 am

If we could, you all will need to pick up my part as my broke :censored: is kinda financially strapped shall we say?
"Some people believe football is a matter of life and death, I am very disappointed with that attitude. I can assure you it is much, much more important than that." Bill Shankly
RedShredder

Postby heimdall » Sat May 16, 2009 1:51 pm

JoeTerp wrote:" In 1997, Gator Boosters Inc. raised $16.2 million in contributions, according to its 990 tax filing, a form used by nonprofit organizations. In 2002, it brought in $23.7 million in public support - or more than a third of Florida's athletic budget.

Many variables influence giving, but Florida State may provide the most direct link between winning and wealth, pride and pocketbook. In the year before Florida State won the 1999 national title, Seminole Boosters Inc. recorded $16.6 million in support. In 2000, contributions jumped to $31.4 million. "

"T. Boone Pickens, an Oklahoma State alumnus, has donated over $290 million dollars to Oklahoma State over his lifetime (ESPN.com).  Boone Pickens had the Oklahoma State Cowboys football stadium dedicated in his name for his contribution"

Yeah I like this idea a hell of a lot, as usual America is way ahead of the curve.
Why doesn't this Liverpool share thing just turn itself into a booster club, I would happily pay money into something like that, and I'm a hell of a lot of other fans would as well, including a lot of overseas fans who can't go to games etc and therefore don't pay much money at all to watch their beloved team every year apart from license fees etc.
heimdall

Postby Fauxy » Sun May 17, 2009 1:02 am

If that did happen then football would just be :censored:.. every team with a large fan base would be stupidly rich.
Fauxy

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion