Albert riera - deal agreed with espanyol

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Sabre » Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:51 pm

Just checking if I got you right, Joe. How often do you think we face poor opposition teams in the premiership. For me it would be an option for Stoke, and another team or two, I wouldn't consider the likes of Wigan or Reading games (according to what I saw last season) poor. (that is, define "poor" :D )
Last edited by Sabre on Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JoeTerp » Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:01 am

Sabre wrote:Just checking if I got you right, Joe. How often do you think we face poor opposition teams in the premiership. For me it would be an option for Stoke, and another team or two, I wouldn't consider the likes of Wigan or Reading games (according to what I saw last season) poor. (that is, define "poor" :D )

Everton, Newcastle, and Spurs  :D
JoeTerp

Postby RedBlood » Sat Oct 18, 2008 1:41 am

chrisrafman wrote:I think potentially this guy could be fantastic. I think ive already seen signs that he can beat players, cross the ball and produce magicical moves. I think hes gonna come good for us!!!

u think?

uve either seem him do it or u havent m8
RedBlood
LFC Super Member

Postby RedBlood » Sat Oct 18, 2008 1:42 am

Owzat wrote:
JoeTerp wrote:
Espionage wrote:Probably already been posted but I thought that this was a really good watch: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jja0ZuYSiXM

In his first game he time and and again wrong footed his defenders with tricks and moved the ball on intelligently. When I watch Pennent in the reserves he plays really well and has got all this pace and all these tricks, but when he is against better opposition he seems to bottle it because he doesnt have the confidence to pull some of it off. What I see in Riera is someone who has maturity and confidence in what he is trying to do. It doesnt matter if he gets tackled half the time trying to get past his man, he just has to beat him once and put in a ball when its needed and he is a hero. Really pleased with how he has turned out.

One concern has been his final ball has not been up to the standards that he was putting when he was at Espanyol, when that improves we will have one of the best left midfielders in the league (and not one that will go unnoticed and be forever underrated). A shrewd piece of business that any of the top 10 teams wished that they had made at 10M

this is why I think against the poor premier league opposition we should play Pennant and Riera on the wings with possibly Mascherano coming on for Alonso to make up for Kuyt not being in the squad.  Torres, Keane, and Gerrard would get plenty of quality service throughout the game from all areas of the pitch.

If the players you suggest come in were capable of "quality service", wouldn't they be in the side week in, week out? And I'm not sure how replacing Alonso with Mascherano against weak opposition would improve the service either.

I think I may have written off Pennant now, just thought I'd announce it although most will probably have taken my first ever criticism of him as "written off"  :D

Gerrard didn't play very well on Saturday, that's him "written off". Oh and Torres had a bad game against...........................  :laugh:

wheres the joke?
RedBlood
LFC Super Member

Postby LFC2007 » Thu Oct 23, 2008 5:08 pm

'Some required files' were 'missing' (in action)

Brief summary of his contribution:

Man U  - Worked well with aurelio, one v. good run into box - went down too easily under pressure, one exc. delivery which kuyt couldn't get on end of.

Generally solid all round, strong in possession, pressurised Brown for the equaliser.

Marseille - Sub appearance - Riera from by-line crossed for Babel exc. pin point cross - 5yds out babel missed.

Stoke - Not his best performance, the whole team resorted to crossing into box which was easily nullified.
He wasted two or three good shooting opportunities from edge of area. We were more productive from the right in that game.

Everton - Found torres in first half with a tidy cut-back from byline, Torres straight at keeper from 5yds.
Provided out most dangerous outlet, aways getting in positions to threaten. Couple of poor shots over.

PSV - solid again, provided infield pass to keane - penalty shout.

Man city - created best opp for us first half for kuyt with cut-back - spurned well over, and another dangerous cross flashed across front of goal, kuyt couldn't reach.
probably our best/most accessible outlet first half.

wigan - played in keane first half perfectly timed pass - spurned wide, had two grteat chances with headers - exc positioning to get on the end - should've hit targer in first one at least. Generally solid performance though, got the goal.

AM - decent performance but could've done better.
LFC2007

Postby Bad Bob » Thu Oct 23, 2008 5:20 pm

You numpty...no need to bump an old Riera thread just because I managed to delete two perfectly good new ones in one go!  :D

(I'm locking this one in the hopes that the newest one recovers some of the quality it had before I got my hands on it!  :O  )
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion