Albert Riera - I know it's early but...Part III

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Number 9 » Sat Oct 25, 2008 4:05 pm

maypaxvobiscum wrote:i honestly dont care if any of our player dives so long as we win.

:no  :no

I hate to see it from our opponents and hate it from our players too!there is no place for it in football full stop!

As for Rieras "dive" it was'nt exactly a blatant act of cheating,he left his leg in and there was contact,he went down rightly or wrongly and in fairness got up and did'nt make a big deal nor plea for anything!
To put it into context I have already seen for example Ronaldo on at least 2 occasions dive and role about on the deck as if he's been skinned alive and pickled in vinegar without being touched!

There is a huge difference between the two scenarios and i dont think that Rieras was such a big deal.I also dont think he's the type of player to cheat as part of his game and I doubt we will see him trying it on again.Stevie had a word and hopefully now Riera knows that any form of cheating is not acceptable at LFC!
Number 9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC2007 » Sat Oct 25, 2008 4:18 pm

maypaxvobiscum wrote:i honestly dont care if any of our player dives so long as we win.

Well, I don't like to see it at all. It damages the integrity of the game, and of all the major European footballing countries I'd like to think English teams exhibit a greater degree of probity than most.

He's shown a tendency to go over easily in other games ( e.g. Manc's), but after seeing his reaction the other night, I'm hopeful that'll be the end of it.

I digress.

Aside that as a criticism, which is easily corrected, I'm not so sure he'll pose a significant and consistent goal threat. I know he's meant have a good strike in him with his left, but he hasn't really shown a natural goal threat with it thus far, despite having been in some excellent positions and attempting a few. Few have actually tested the keeper. I expect he'll get 6 or 7 in a season by virtue of his positioning, but I don't think we're talking about a player who will consistently pose a goal threat.
LFC2007

Postby Bad Bob » Sat Oct 25, 2008 4:19 pm

Number 9 wrote:Stevie had a word and hopefully now Riera knows that any form of cheating is not acceptable at LFC!

Or Stevie gave him a few pointers on how to sell it more convincingly...he's hardly been innocent of making the most of some slight contact in the box himself on occasion has he?  :D
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby Number 9 » Sat Oct 25, 2008 4:27 pm

Bad Bob wrote:
Number 9 wrote:Stevie had a word and hopefully now Riera knows that any form of cheating is not acceptable at LFC!

Or Stevie gave him a few pointers on how to sell it more convincingly...he's hardly been innocent of making the most of some slight contact in the box himself on occasion has he?  :D

Once or twice but there are few players who have'nt been guilty on occassion!I doubt there are any fans out there from any club who would label Stevie a diver.It would be a shame if he had a reputation for it,he does'nt though and the reason why is obvious!
Its not a problem at LFC,we dont have a player like Drogba(who in fairness has cut it out a bit) or Ronaldo who are renound for cheating all the time at any chance they see!

I hate it full stop and dont like to see it from our own or our opponents.It goes unpunsihed way to often in the game as well!
Number 9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Jimmy the Weasel » Sat Oct 25, 2008 4:37 pm

Let's not kid ourselves, Gerrard likes a bit of a tumble, so does Torres.

It's part of the game, like it or not (and I don't for the record).
Jimmy the Weasel

Postby andy_g » Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:10 pm

from what i've seen on other football sites there are a lot of fans of other teams that will bring up gerrard's name whenever there is a discussion about diving. he's obviously been guilty of it in the past though, to be honest, i haven't seen much of it for some time now. there are probably very few players who haven't dived or made a meal out of an innocuous challenge at some point though.

bringing that back to riera, who i still feel was fouled in the box, he should definitely learn to stay on his feet a little more. he's a big enough and strong enough looking fella to be able to muscle his way through a lot of tackles and he might just get a few more of those useful balls into the box.

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:23 pm

LFC2007 wrote:

Well, I don't like to see it at all. It damages the integrity of the game, and of all the major European footballing countries I'd like to think English teams exhibit a greater degree of probity than most.

He's shown a tendency to go over easily in other games ( e.g. Manc's), but after seeing his reaction the other night, I'm hopeful that'll be the end of it.

I digress.

Aside that as a criticism, which is easily corrected, I'm not so sure he'll pose a significant and consistent goal threat. I know he's meant have a good strike in him with his left, but he hasn't really shown a natural goal threat with it thus far, despite having been in some excellent positions and attempting a few. Few have actually tested the keeper. I expect he'll get 6 or 7 in a season by virtue of his positioning, but I don't think we're talking about a player who will consistently pose a goal threat.

its not nice for sure. but its so part of the game these days. ronaldo, drogba, totti, that italian striker from milan...thay are all guilty of diving at some point. thing is, sad to say, a dive may be the difference between a win, lose or draw.

as for riera....he has done well so far. no complains. but ive seen posters saying how he needs to work on his fitness?
maypaxvobiscum

Postby GOAT_2.0 » Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:56 pm

Jimmy the Weasel wrote:
GOAT_2.0 wrote:Unless your a f.ucking fanny there was no reaosn for him to go to ground like that off minimal contact, blatent dive IMO

But there is a need to go to ground though isn't there?

Not always because the contact causes you to fall over, but because referees in the modern game only give fouls when the player falls over now.

It's one of the main reasons why diving is so prevalent in football these days in my opinion - somebody can be fouled and still remain on their feet, but not in the view of most referees.

If he hadnt decided to trip over a daisy on the pitch then we could have gotten a chance on goal out of that
Image Image
GOAT_2.0

Postby Jimmy the Weasel » Sat Oct 25, 2008 6:01 pm

GOAT_2.0 wrote:
Jimmy the Weasel wrote:
GOAT_2.0 wrote:Unless your a f.ucking fanny there was no reaosn for him to go to ground like that off minimal contact, blatent dive IMO

But there is a need to go to ground though isn't there?

Not always because the contact causes you to fall over, but because referees in the modern game only give fouls when the player falls over now.

It's one of the main reasons why diving is so prevalent in football these days in my opinion - somebody can be fouled and still remain on their feet, but not in the view of most referees.

If he hadnt decided to trip over a daisy on the pitch then we could have gotten a chance on goal out of that

You might be right mate, we'll never know!

I was just making the case for players falling over on contact, that's all.
Jimmy the Weasel

Postby tubby » Sat Oct 25, 2008 6:01 pm

Bad Bob wrote:

:laugh:  :laugh:

It is sad but true.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Toffeehater » Sun Oct 26, 2008 5:24 pm

Has been immense so far , made bosingwa look so odinary today . Worth every penny so far , has been a tremendous buy so far
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby metalhead » Sun Oct 26, 2008 5:25 pm

Had a fantastic game today, his passes were quality
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Number 9 » Sun Oct 26, 2008 5:44 pm

The lads a class act!
Simple! :)
Number 9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby hello_red » Sun Oct 26, 2008 6:13 pm

Some very INTELLIGENT use of the ball today. Was guilty of a couple of slack passes but all in all a very good performance against an excellent Chelsea side.
hello_red
LFC Super Member

Postby maguskwt » Sun Oct 26, 2008 7:23 pm

Number 9 wrote:The lads a class act!
Simple! :)

what I like about him is the confidence to take on opponents... we're lucky to have all these fine spanish players.. reina, riera, alonso and torres... now the only one left is david villa...  :D
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion