Search for a new manager

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu Mar 07, 2024 4:21 pm

I’d like to see Pep take over from Jurgen myself Woof but he has categorically said that he won’t do it, imo something has deffo gone on behind the scenes I don’t care what anyone says. I thought it was noticeable that there was no John Henry or Werner at Wembley as well, one of those two usually rock up whenever we get to a final, could be the last final Jurgen takes us to as well..
If Alonso knocks us back we could be in a bit of sh1t because none of the other names fill me with any confidence. A few of my mates want this fella from Lisbon but the Portuguese league is hard to read, that Andre Villas-Boas was dominating  the Portuguese league like Ferguson dominated the prem here and he was doing well in Europe too but he goes to Chelsea and ends up not just doing poorly but ends up a bit of a comedy figure because of his Basil Faulty-esque antics on the side line. Never heard of him since, he was a young manager as well.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby woof woof ! » Thu Mar 07, 2024 5:22 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu Mar 07, 2024 3:21 pm wrote:I’d like to see Pep take over from Jurgen myself Woof but he has categorically said that he won’t do it, imo something has deffo gone on behind the scenes I don’t care what anyone says. I thought it was noticeable that there was no John Henry or Werner at Wembley as well, one of those two usually rock up whenever we get to a final, could be the last final Jurgen takes us to as well..
If Alonso knocks us back we could be in a bit of sh1t because none of the other names fill me with any confidence. A few of my mates want this fella from Lisbon but the Portuguese league is hard to read, that Andre Villas-Boas was dominating  the Portuguese league like Ferguson dominated the prem here and he was doing well in Europe too but he goes to Chelsea and ends up not just doing poorly but ends up a bit of a comedy figure because of his Basil Faulty-esque antics on the side line. Never heard of him since, he was a young manager as well.

:nod , let's face it , stepping in after Jurgen are gonna be some big shoes to fill.  I'm disappointed but understand why given their fight for the title Alonso hasn't come out with even a hint of what or where he wants next. . But it's got me thinking that maybe we're over estimating his "love" for LFC as a factor in his career path.

As for our Pep Lijnders, I don't really know the story there. In day's gone by he would have been viewed as a natural successor to Klopp   .

Just hoping we don't go down the Man Utd route recruiting one wrong doesn't fit manager again and again  :(

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby damjan193 » Thu Mar 07, 2024 5:30 pm

Yeah I'm not sure about Amorim either because of reasons stated above. It's the Portuguese league so you can never be sure. As for Pep I think the club never offered him the job. If they did he might have accepted. If we don't get Alonso, Nagelsmann won't be a bad choice IMO.

However, it is pretty weird that the club doesn't have their primary target already singed up (as far as we know at least). If they wanted Alonso they should have had him booked by now and before Bayern announced the sacking of Tuchel.

And I agree that something bigger must have went on for Klopp to leave. I think he got tired of never getting his primary targets.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu Mar 07, 2024 6:26 pm

It’s not just the fact Jurgen is going dj it’s the fact the entire back room staff are following him out the door en masse. That’s a fairly common occurrence whenever a manager is sacked but not when a manager decides to call it a day off his own bat,
Bob, Joe, Ronnie, Reuben Bennett et al didn’t follow Shanks out the door. Going from my own experience in the workplace it stinks of an act of solidarity to me.iIts not even if Jurgen has another job lined up and is taking them with him. As I said mate no one will ever convince me that something hasn’t gone on.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby damjan193 » Fri Mar 08, 2024 12:10 am

You're right yakka, it's not good for the club at all that they're all leaving and it's also a telling sign that something more must have gone on.

In Pep's case however, I think he wants another crack as manager but we never offered him the job so he's leaving to try his luck elsewhere. Everyone else though, I don't know. A lot of them aren't even Klopp's people, most of the were hired by the club separately. It is really hurting the club that they're all leaving and not just Klopp.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby damjan193 » Fri Mar 08, 2024 12:21 am

In some positive news on the other hand, I read that Michael Edwards might be coming back.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby 7_Kewell » Fri Mar 08, 2024 1:08 am

damjan193 » Thu Mar 07, 2024 11:21 pm wrote:In some positive news on the other hand, I read that Michael Edwards might be coming back.

That would be a good move.

Hopefully he is already talking with the club about the plan for next few years.
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Reg » Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:26 am

Xabi Alonso almost certain not to be next Liverpool manager
Spaniard expected to stay at Bayer Leverkusen, meaning Ruben Amorim and Roberto De Zerbi are leading candidates for Anfield job

Chris Bascombe
28 March 2024 • 9:00pm

Xabi Alonso is unlikely to be on Liverpool’s shortlist to replace Jurgen Klopp as the Merseyside club do not believe he will be available this summer.

Alonso has long been considered the front-runner to replace Klopp since the German’s shock announcement that he is quitting Anfield at the end of the season. But the club are pressing ahead in considering alternative candidates after it emerged that Alonso plans to remain at Leverkusen.

That means Sporting Lisbon’s Ruben Amorim and Brighton and Hove Albion’s Roberto De Zerbi are now the outstanding remaining candidates for the imminent vacancy at Anfield as Liverpool look to whittle down the contenders in the coming weeks.

De Zerbi will get his chance to impress on Sunday when his Brighton side face Klopp’s in the Premier League at Anfield. Amorim, meanwhile, has many admirers having ended Sporting’s 19-year wait to be Portuguese champions and having won three domestic cup competitions in an impressive start to his coaching career.

The prospect of Alonso, a former player and Champions League winner, returning to Anfield to build on Klopp’s work appealed to the romanticists who recall the elegant Spaniard pulling the strings in Liverpool’s midfield between 2004 and 2009.

Even Klopp seemed to be on board with that idea, giving the impression that Alonso was ‘the anointed one’ with his extravagant praise of the Leverkusen coach last month.

“The next generation is already there and I would say Xabi is the stand-out in that department,” Klopp said. “A former world-class player, obviously coaching family as well which helps a little bit. He was like a coach already when he was playing.

“The football he is playing, the teams he sets up, the transfers he did – it was absolutely exceptional. Obviously when you look through the Europa League, Leverkusen is one of the favourites there as well so that could be the season for Leverkusen. Really crazy.”

Liverpool compiling information about potential managers
From Liverpool’s perspective, the 42-year-old had front-runner status thrust upon him externally immediately after Klopp announced that he will leave.

Since Klopp’s statement, Liverpool have appointed a new sporting director, Richard Hughes, who will take over in June, while Fenway Sports Group have reunited with former sporting director Michael Edwards, who is the American owners’ football chief executive.

They will have their own ideas on a successor, while the club’s data analysts, led by Will Spearman, have already been compiling dossiers on those most suitable for the post.

Alonso was under strong consideration alongside others, and would naturally have had a strong claim for the job if he felt the time was right to move to England.

His seeming lack of availability is undoubtedly a blow, especially to the supporters who made him their No 1 choice, but Liverpool are sure there are others capable of moving the squad forward in the full-throttle style which has become the norm under Klopp.

Bayern: ‘It will be difficult to sign Alonso’
Liverpool are not the only club anticipating that Alonso will stay at Leverkusen. Bayern Munich’s honorary president, Uli Hoeness, said his club had effectively given up trying to convince him to move to the Allianz Arena.

“I feel that it will be very difficult to sign Xabi Alonso, not to say probably impossible,” he said. “I can certainly imagine him staying at Bayer Leverkusen to continue his job.

“[Alonso] is more inclined to stay at Bayer Leverkusen in view of their current successes, because he would not want to leave them behind. Let’s say if he had two or three more years of success, it would probably be easier to bring him out of there.”

Alonso himself has remained tight-lipped despite being strongly linked with both stellar jobs. There are also suggestions that Real Madrid, another of Alonso’s former clubs, see him as the natural heir to Carlo Ancelotti when the legendary Italian moves on.

A studious player, Alonso is evidently equally conscientious about how he will map out his coaching career.

He was patient in his first steps in management, rejecting several offers from big European clubs while learning his craft as Real Sociedad’s ‘B’ coach.

Despite incredible success at Leverkusen, where his side are still unbeaten in all competitions this season and on the verge of winning the Bundesliga title, it would appear he is determined to work to his own timeline rather than jump into one of the world’s biggest clubs at the first opportunity.

As Liverpool consider alternatives, the only guarantee is that Klopp’s replacement will be obliged to play in the same attacking manner which has brought every major honour to Anfield since 2019.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Penguins » Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:36 am

I'm going be boring and say Tuchel. PL proven
Penguins
LFC Super Member

Postby damjan193 » Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:03 pm

Reg » Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:26 am wrote:meaning Ruben Amorim and Roberto De Zerbi are leading candidates for Anfield job

Please no
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby Penguins » Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:47 pm

Just no. Amorim has ZERO experience outside Portugal where he has basically had one job
De Zerbi? A mixed bag where he has managed Sassoulo and Brighton. Brighton was doing well before he came and it is a club that has excellent recruitment.
I am not convinced.
Penguins
LFC Super Member

Postby kazza » Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:25 pm

Penguins » Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:36 am wrote:I'm going be boring and say Tuchel. PL proven

No thank you, his teams never like him. We need someone that is warm and treats the players like family, that is what they are used to.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kazza » Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:26 pm

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/13102728/roberto-de-zerbi-brighton-boss-is-playing-beautiful-and-brilliant-football-do-liverpool-dare-to-go-there

Interesting take.

His weakness in defense may be helped by speedy defenders in Konate and VVD and an excellent goalie good at one on ones like Klopp was.
Last edited by kazza on Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redshade » Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:13 pm

Shame about Xabi really want him to take over Klopp. I think he will go to Real in a season or 2. Real and Bayern are "easier" jobs then managing Liverpool.  I don't no much about Amorim but please no to De Zerbi.  We definitely going be in the shyte once Klopp goes.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby kazza » Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:30 pm

kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion