Search for a new manager

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby woof woof ! » Tue Feb 13, 2024 6:10 pm

I think almost all of us want Alonso to pick up the job after Jurgen leaves.

Big worry for me is
1, will an offer be made ?
2, will Alonso accept it ?

Would love to see all the media frenzy surrounding Alonso as the next Liverpool manager put to bed ASAP .
Fully understand that Alonso at this stage doesn't want to commit to a comment about his future with his current club, given how well they are performing in the Bundesliga .
I'm just nervous that Alonso as our next manager may not happen  :(

Lads !, if it's not Alonso ! then who, realistically, could you see as our next manager ?

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby electrum » Tue Feb 13, 2024 9:55 pm

woof woof ! » Tue Feb 13, 2024 6:10 pm wrote:I think almost all of us want Alonso to pick up the job after Jurgen leaves.

Big worry for me is
1, will an offer be made ?
2, will Alonso accept it ?

Would love to see all the media frenzy surrounding Alonso as the next Liverpool manager put to bed ASAP .
Fully understand that Alonso at this stage doesn't want to commit to a comment about his future with his current club, given how well they are performing in the Bundesliga .
I'm just nervous that Alonso as our next manager may not happen  :(

Lads !, if it's not Alonso ! then who, realistically, could you see as our next manager ?

I really am sold on Alonso- don't really even want to consider anyone else...if, however he refuses the offer then maybe try to tempt Zidane- he is a serial winner that will command respect from the players instantly and he will also be able to attract top talent.
electrum
LFC Advanced Member

Postby damjan193 » Tue Feb 13, 2024 10:13 pm

I can't see anyone else apart from Alonso tbh. Not an ideal replacement, mostly due to the lack of experience and having had only one good season, but anyone will be a huge downgrade from Klopp so it is what it is. Hopefully we won't end up with De Zerbi or the like.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby redshade » Wed Feb 14, 2024 12:02 am

That's the issue, if we don't get Xabi who will we get. The other options just fee like will end up back to mediocrity.

Xabi has worked wonders with Leverkusen and if he does get the title it would be some achievement.

I'm hoping we do get him, but watch his stock rise if he wins the title.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby kazza » Wed Feb 14, 2024 5:28 am

When we got Klopp he was not the best manager in the world, he was a star in the making. He had managed to stop BM’s dominance but he did loose all his finals. It’s fair to say that when he came to Liverpool there were questions about whether he could push on to the next level which he did, similar to all the players we bought.

I think Alonso is the “emotional” choice but not necessarily is it the best choice. I think what we will miss most is Klopp’s personality. He’s honest, funny, true to himself and genuine with the players. He’s not necessarily a tactical genius like Rafa was but his personality gets the players to give everything, that is about picking the right players and earning their trust. We have no toxic characters in the squad thanks to Klopp so the next manager that comes along needs to have similar character traits to Klopp.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Reg » Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:10 am

Maybe we need to consider that Xabi's having fun at BL and's happy to stay there... and if does decide to go that Real Madrid will continue to be the bigger attraction over LFC.

Klopp's built a heck of a squad, passion and ethos at Anfield so what's the attraction for a top manager to come and compete with that, he'll always be compared with Klopp and snide comments will start the minute he loses his first game. It's a massive appointment and the club really need to ensure we get the right guy, the last thing we want is to slip into a manager merry-go-round as United have done. Citeh will have the same problem next year when Pep leaves (2025). Will Alonso be tapped for that job....
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:06 pm

kazza » Wed Feb 14, 2024 4:28 am wrote:When we got Klopp he was not the best manager in the world, he was a star in the making. He had managed to stop BM’s dominance but he did loose all his finals. It’s fair to say that when he came to Liverpool there were questions about whether he could push on to the next level which he did, similar to all the players we bought.

I think Alonso is the “emotional” choice but not necessarily is it the best choice. I think what we will miss most is Klopp’s personality. He’s honest, funny, true to himself and genuine with the players. He’s not necessarily a tactical genius like Rafa was but his personality gets the players to give everything, that is about picking the right players and earning their trust. We have no toxic characters in the squad thanks to Klopp so the next manager that comes along needs to have similar character traits to Klopp.

Love this observation Kazza . Alonso is certainly the most favoured "emotional" choice, but let's not dismiss his achievements (so far) that have got many top clubs now looking at him as their next potential manager.
You say "I think Alonso is the “emotional” choice but not necessarily is it the best choice." . Who then do you think would be a better pick ?

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby Doeboy » Wed Feb 14, 2024 5:06 pm

I've heard from an extremely good source we are interested in having a chat with Postecoglou. Doesn't mean he is our main target and that it will happen but more just sounding out all options which I guess a lot of clubs would do even though they have someone else in mind as the primary target.
Doeboy

Postby kazza » Wed Feb 14, 2024 8:55 pm

woof woof ! » Wed Feb 14, 2024 2:06 pm wrote:
kazza » Wed Feb 14, 2024 4:28 am wrote:When we got Klopp he was not the best manager in the world, he was a star in the making. He had managed to stop BM’s dominance but he did loose all his finals. It’s fair to say that when he came to Liverpool there were questions about whether he could push on to the next level which he did, similar to all the players we bought.

Love this observation Kazza . Alonso is certainly the most favoured "emotional" choice, but let's not dismiss his achievements (so far) that have got many top clubs now looking at him as their next potential manager.
You say "I think Alonso is the “emotional” choice but not necessarily is it the best choice." . Who then do you think would be a better pick ?

I think if they convinced Alonso then I’d be more than happy as I’m an emotional supporter  :grinning: , it’s just it seems because his team is hot right now it’s an easy choice for the press to make that connection, if his team was not in first place would we be talking about him? Remembering him as a player though he was a humble, hardworking and thinking player so not surprised he is doing well in management. 

As for who I think, I have no idea and as nervous as everyone else. I wouldn’t have chosen Klopp when he first came so what do I know. Whoever it is he will undoubtedly have the full support of the supporters because that is what we do. I think whoever it is, has a good team to work with and as long as he doesn’t make wholesale changes in playing philosophy we should make a smooth transition. Thankfully we do not have any toxic players like ManUre did and Arsenal did when Wenger left. Klopp built a team of calm family men, most of which don’t drink or party, not because Klopp won’t allow it but rather they are just those types of people.… that surely will have long term benefits.

After what happened to Arsenal and ManUre the assumption is there that it will be the end of an era for us, I hope we can break that myth with a smooth transition. It’s up to the owners to find the right person and obviously I pray they manage to do that. I will miss Klopp though as he is exactly what I think a manager should be. For what it’s worth I do also think Klopp will miss Liverpool as I’m sure he will say Liverpool supporters are what supporters should be.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby leeroy74 » Thu Feb 22, 2024 12:21 pm

bit of a spanner in the works with Tuchel stepping down. Either Alonso is eyeing up the Bayern job and Tuchel thinks he's getting the Liverpool Job or Klopp has shown interest in the Bayern job and they've 'made it available'  :laugh:
leeroy74
LFC Super Member

Postby damjan193 » Thu Feb 22, 2024 4:24 pm

I like Tuchel but his track record isn't great tbh.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby kazza » Thu Feb 22, 2024 6:56 pm

I don’t think Tuchel is the right fit at all, he’s so unlike Klopp and not very likable. I can’t see where he has been successful, seems to fall out with his players in every team he managed. Replacing Klopp will be an impossible task, made more difficult if the manager is not likable. Kind of like Hodgson after Rafa.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby leeroy74 » Mon Feb 26, 2024 12:31 pm

by the time Klopp leaves Poch will be available but he can't get a tune out of any team so he's a no go.
Zidanne anyone?
leeroy74
LFC Super Member

Postby Reg » Mon Feb 26, 2024 4:53 pm

Interesting piece in the paper that the 2 best candidates through performance analysis is the Sporting Lisbon boss and Eddie Howe....
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kazza » Mon Feb 26, 2024 7:27 pm

We cannot expect another Klopp with his same personality. Paisley was different to Shanks but made a seamless transition, he wasn’t Shanks II he was his own man and had his own way. What made them the same though is a love for the club and supporters, an understanding of what it means to the City and supporters. No doubt the perfect fit is out there, the owners need to find him.

Klopp similar to Rafa was an upstart, a giant killer. Like Klopp he managed to break the dominant teams hold on their perspective leagues. With limited means he took the club to the top and competed with clubs he shouldn’t have. They were completely different in term of personalities but both were the same in that they had a real connection to the supporters. Alonso looks like he will be a giant killer if he can win the league and the only one right now in the European leagues you can say that about. I wish he had done it for a longer period of time but he does look the business. I hope we can get him.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion