Search for a new manager

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby red till i die!! » Tue Feb 27, 2024 1:13 am

Good post Kazza.

Hope it's Alonso now myself but unsure if he wants it.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby kazza » Wed Feb 28, 2024 4:45 am

This is not the first time the question has been asked of Jurgen Klopp and it will not be the last. But in the aftermath of Liverpool's emotionally charged victory over Chelsea in the Carabao Cup final on Sunday, it feels particularly pertinent. Is there really no way that you can be persuaded to stay?

Is there really nothing that will change your mind? Is there nothing that could make you reconsider the decision to leave Anfield at the end of this season after nine years in charge? Is there nothing that could make you think that maybe, in the modern Liverpool you have built, the best is yet to come?

Because there was something about the triumph over Chelsea and the manner in which it was achieved, with an intoxicating blend of magisterial experience and optimistic youth, that made it feel as if it might be a transformative experience for all of those involved on the winning side.

It felt as if this was not an era that was coming to an end. It felt as if this was an era that was just beginning. Klopp built one great side at Liverpool and it is beginning to look as if he has built another. It is only in its first flowering but it has the feel of a group of players who might go on to achieve special things.

It is a shame to think Klopp will not be around to enjoy the fruits of all the work he has put in and all the pressure he has endured. It is a pity to think that he might not be around in future years to oversee the maturing of this collection of players that he has brought together. If there was anything in Sunday's victory that felt bittersweet, it was that.

Jamie Carragher, the former Liverpool and England defender, drew an interesting comparison on Monday that between Klopp and Bill Shankly, who was the Liverpool manager between 1959 and 1974 and resigned suddenly when many felt he, and his team, were at the height of their powers.

Carragher pointed out that Shankly was the father of the modern Liverpool and that even though Bob Paisley, who succeeded him as manager, was in charge when Liverpool won the first three of their European Cups, Liverpool fans always acknowledged that 'every trophy Liverpool lifted between 1974-1990 had Shankly's reflection in the silverware'.

And it will be the same with Klopp and whoever comes next. Because, if he really cannot be persuaded to stay, he is leaving the club in such good shape that they look set to maintain their place at, or near, the top of the English game for years to come. The next generation is already in place and raring to go.

Klopp, of course, has already anticipated attempts to get him to renege on his decision. He was honest about his motives for leaving. He said he could sense his energy dwindling and that his modus operandi meant that he could not operate at anything less than full throttle.

'I can't do it on three wheels,' he said when he announced his intention to leave at the end of last month. 'I don't want to be a passenger. My manager skills are based on energy and relationships. I am who I am and where I am because of how I am. I cannot be that any more. My energy level was endless but now it's not. Now we have to change.'

There is no reason at all to think that Klopp's intention has changed. Football management is a punishing, exacting, high-pressure job that takes a toll on all who do it. Klopp knows himself. He knows his family. He knows what is best for him and for them.

But sometimes, intentions change. Circumstances change. To extend Carragher's reference to Shankly, Shankly regretted his decision to resign and, for a while, haunted the old Liverpool training ground at Melwood until the club had to ask him to stay away because it was affecting Paisley's ability to stamp his authority on the team.

And the reality is that, until Liverpool name a successor to Klopp, there will be hope against hope that he can be persuaded to change his mind. Sir Alex Ferguson did it once at Manchester United, don't forget and went on to win a second Champions League trophy.

And if Bayer Leverkusen coach and former Liverpool favourite Xabi Alonso, decides to go to Bayern Munich next season rather than return to Merseyside, those hopes will be brought into sharper focus.

Part of every Liverpool fan will wonder if there's a chance. They will wonder if an experience like Sunday's - a victory Klopp described as 'easily the most special trophy' of his Liverpool career - could be capable of having a rejuvenating effect on the manager who has given so much to their club already.

It was clear, certainly, that he was moved by the maturity and the excellence of the performances of academy products James McConnell, 19, Jayden Danns, 18, Bobby Clark, 19, Jarell Quansah, 21, and Conor Bradley, 20, who all played important roles in the triumph.

'The development of Bobby Clark, It's really crazy, I have to say,' Klopp said after the final whistle at Wembley. 'The development of James McConnell is absolutely insane. And Dannsy, I love him, from his first training session.'

If this was the beginning of the end, then it is going to be one hell of a final farewell for Klopp as he leads Liverpool in their pursuit of four trophies.

When Shankly quit, when Kenny Dalglish resigned as manager, the supporters never really got to say a proper goodbye and the emotions that will be unleashed as Klopp's departure grows nearer will fuel the club's tilt at all their glories.

He has made the decision to go but if managing at Anfield makes demands on a person that few of us can properly understand, the leaving of Liverpool will be the hardest deal that Klopp has ever closed.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bunglemark2 » Tue Mar 05, 2024 11:33 am

Methinks Alonso will sell his soul to Bayern Munich. And other clubs are sniffing around Amorim.
Wonder who we will finally end up with...
http://s2.tinypic.com/30ldif7_th.jpg
See yooo, Judas. Yoo're gettin' on mah titz !
bunglemark2

Postby leeroy74 » Tue Mar 05, 2024 12:33 pm

Let's look at the candidates...
Alonso - possible he'll choose Bayen
De Zerbi - No thank you, I think he might end up at City when Pep ***** off
Amorim - good choice, prefer him to Alonso personally
Tuchel - not a chance he's getting the job
Julian Nagelsmann - I think he'll end up at Newcastle
Eddie Howe - not good enough.

After that I've no idea. For me... Amorim or Alonso
leeroy74
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Tue Mar 05, 2024 1:42 pm

Yeah it’s looking increasingly likely that Xabi will choose Bayern, Sky Germany are reporting that Xabi and Bayern are already in talks, apparently he loves us to bits but feels that taking over from Jurgen would be a poison chalice.
That leaves us in a bit of a position, pity Ljinders and the rest of the back room staff won’t stay on.
Don’t want De Zerbi, I don’t think he’d be a good fit at all. F**king hell, I’d probably go for Postecoglu, at least he plays good stuff and his playing style is very close to Jurgen’s (high line, high press, win the ball back quickly etc) .He was a red growing up in Australia too I believe. He seems a strong character and dealt with the loss of Kane extremely well I thought.
Best of all options would be for FSG to convince Jurgen to stay of course……..
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby 7_Kewell » Tue Mar 05, 2024 1:52 pm

I don't want Postecoglou anywhere near our club.

His football is entertaining but flawed when it comes to defending and seeing out games.

He's another Brendan Rodgers, in my opinion and will likely be sacked from spurs by this time next year.
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bunglemark2 » Tue Mar 05, 2024 5:28 pm

Seems Barcelona are moving for Amorim
http://s2.tinypic.com/30ldif7_th.jpg
See yooo, Judas. Yoo're gettin' on mah titz !
bunglemark2

Postby damjan193 » Tue Mar 05, 2024 6:25 pm

Well I can understand some managers not wanting the job. Klopp is the best manager in the world so big shoes to fill. And what he achieved here is nothing short of a miracle,  I doubt managers are ready to come here and be expected to do miracles.

I think everyone, both football fans and pros, expect us to decline after Klopp leaves like Man U did after Fergie.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby kazza » Tue Mar 05, 2024 8:19 pm

Also Arsenal after Wenger.

It’s clear everyone assumes we will come off the rails when Klopp leaves and are already laughing about it like it is a certainty. Difference between us and ManUre however is when Fergie left that team was poor and past its prime, he knew it had run its course. Klopp on the other hand has left us a young team that has not peaked yet, we just need the right kind of manager that could mesh with the club and the fans. When Klopp came he was not the best manager in the world, he was potential but he was honest and put the fans first and that made us love him (obviously he was also extremely talented).

I don’t buy the poisoned chalice thing. Whoever the new manager will be he will have a very good young team, we will be in the CL, he will have supporters that will be 100% behind him, he will be well paid, he will be managing a big club and he will have Anfield to help him. The ingredients are there for success and they should be lining up. We need a manager that will be one of us like Rafa and Klopp were and we’ll find success. Brendan Rodgers never fit the mould of Liverpool manager, he was too shifty and why the fans never sang his name. Maybe Alonso isn’t the one. Klopp wanted us as did Rafa, if Alonso is looking at multiple options then he is not the one for us, we need a manager that wants to be a Liverpool manager not just manage a big club. We are an honest club and we need an honest manager.

I personally would say no to Zidane, Ancelotti, Pep, Maureen, Arteta or any of the “brand names”. I don’t think any of those managers fit the mould of Liverpool manager. I don’t know who it will be or who will fit well. I just know our fate is in the hands of the owners and hope they come through and get us the right choice. To be fair, since they bought the club, they got us Kenny to help us heal, they knew when the time had come to move on and they handled sacking a club legend with grace. They then got Rodgers who made us a very exciting team to watch although completely flawed defensively, when it was clear he was not the one they moved decisively to sack him. They then got Klopp that took us back to the top and it felt like he would stay forever. They haven’t been too bad with their choices and our growth has been organic, organic growth is long term and won’t disappear over night.

I don’t see why the doom and gloom, we are the best fans in the world and we make players and managers better. Future is bright!

Walk On
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 7_Kewell » Tue Mar 05, 2024 9:44 pm

The club is bigger than anyone player or manager. But Klopp will leave a huge hole. And for me it's comparable to when Kenny left in the early 1990s.

That's not to say a decline is all but certain.

As some have said, we need a manager who wants to be here and understands the club's DNA.

I'm hoping we can change his mind. But we have to trust the owners.

And if Alonso isn't 100% sold on the Lfc project then it's best he goes somewhere else.
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Reg » Wed Mar 06, 2024 4:57 pm

It's not like when Kenny left in the 1990's.
This is the first time since Kenny took over that the manager will be inheriting a better side and won't have to rebuild.
The new manager has to build on what Klopp leaves behind but not rebuild.
It's a job for someone with the paternal/pure coach mentality, one to take these 20 year olds and work with them until they're 27.
We don't need a Mourinho over powering personality, maybe Potter has the right profile. We need a traditional coach, not a club builder.
I have no freakin' idea who's best for the job.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Reg » Thu Mar 07, 2024 7:41 am

Bayern Munich steal march on Liverpool in race to hire Xabi Alonso as next manager
Bundesliga giants want Spaniard to leave Bayer Leverkusen as they seek a replacement for Thomas Tuchel

Daily Telegraph 6 March 2024 • 7:58pm

Bayern Munich are ahead of Liverpool in the race to appoint Xabi Alonso as their new head coach.
Sources have suggested that Bayern are now increasingly confident they have the advantage in hiring Alonso should he decide to leave Bayer Leverkusen this summer.

Leverkusen have refused to comment on claims that they have granted permission for Alonso to hold talks with Bayern. However, preliminary discussions are already understood to have taken place with the 42-year-old’s representatives.

While Bayern are in the lead it certainly does not mean Liverpool are no longer in the race although their search for Jurgen Klopp’s successor is complicated by the fact they are also in the process of appointing a new sporting director.

Bayern have, meanwhile, acted swiftly to steal a march on Liverpool and try and persuade Alonso to take over from Thomas Tuchel when he leaves the club at the end of this campaign. The Spaniard, a former Bayern as well as Liverpool midfielder, has been targeted as their number one choice and is the unanimous candidate from the club’s hierarchy.

The speculation over Alonso’s future has, understandably, caused irritation at Leverkusen who are 10 points clear of Bayern at the top of the Bundesliga and are unbeaten in what has been an extraordinary campaign for them. They have never won the German title in their 120-year history.

Intriguingly sources have suggested that it is still by no means certain that Alonso, who is contracted until June 2026, will leave this summer. His original plan was to stay and lead Leverkusen into the Champions League and he is determined to remain focussed on the club this season.

Liverpool have identified Nagelsmann and Amorim as alternatives
Logically the lure of Bayern or Liverpool might be too great but Alonso has carefully mapped out his career and has turned down jobs in the past and is in no rush.

Liverpool, of course, have been aware of Bayern’s interest and not least that it has been clear for some time that it was likely Tuchel would not carry on beyond this campaign.

As previously revealed by Telegraph Sport the Premier League club have identified Julian Nagelsmann and Ruben Amorim as alternatives should they be unable to persuade Alonso to join them.

Amorim, 39, has two more years on his deal with Sporting Lisbon but there is an expectation that he may well move at the end of this season and is keen on managing in the Premier League. The Portuguese is regarded as one of the most exciting young coaches in Europe.

Nagelsmann, still only 36, is out of contract with the German football federation after this summer’s European Championships, although he would not be available following Germany’s involvement in the tournament ending. He will want to return to club management at some stage.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 7_Kewell » Thu Mar 07, 2024 9:50 am

Reg » Wed Mar 06, 2024 3:57 pm wrote:It's not like when Kenny left in the 1990's.
This is the first time since Kenny took over that the manager will be inheriting a better side and won't have to rebuild.
It's a job for someone with the paternal/pure coach mentality, one to take these 20 year olds and work with them until they're 27.
We don't need a Mourinho over powering personality, maybe Potter has the right profile. We need a traditional coach, not a club builder.

Im not sure Kenny's team was that bad

We still had some great players. And Souness did more damage by breaking up the boot room and selling Staunton, Houghton, Beardsley and a few others. And then replacing them with rubbish.

Whoever comes in will need to address Mo's replacement. And VVD isn't getting any younger - so that's a pretty big job in itself.
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu Mar 07, 2024 2:23 pm

7_Kewell » Thu Mar 07, 2024 8:50 am wrote:
Reg » Wed Mar 06, 2024 3:57 pm wrote:It's not like when Kenny left in the 1990's.

Im not sure Kenny's team was that bad

We still had some great players. And Souness did more damage by breaking up the boot room and selling Staunton, Houghton, Beardsley and a few others. And then replacing them with rubbish.

Whoever comes in will need to address Mo's replacement. And VVD isn't getting any younger - so that's a pretty big job in itself.

Agreed. When Kenny left we were top of the league (and it was February when he went not September or November or something) and we were still in the FA Cup (we werent in Europe, we were banned). Yes a few of his latter signings like Jimmy Carter and David Speedie weren’t up to the standard of previous signings and the squad was starting to age but we had better young players than we have now just about to come through (Robbie Fowler, Ste McManaman, Jamie Redknapp etc).
Our dominance could have easily been continued.
If we would’ve beat United to the punch on Roy Keane and signed Shearer (who Kenny ended up signing for Blackburn) the 90’s might have looked a lot different.
Imagine a young Fowler and Shearer up front with Keane and Redknapp in midfield with another youngster in McManaman on the wing. IMO 2 signings could have changed the 90’s.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby woof woof ! » Thu Mar 07, 2024 2:53 pm

Are you f*cking kidding me Reg ? Potter ?????? f*ck me I'd rather have Bill or Ben from the Flower Pot Men !

Next you'll be wondering if we should give Roy "the Owl" Hodgson another go .  :glare:

Agree with you on your perspective about Mourinho  :nod .

My personal preference if we cant get Alonso would be to make Pep Lijnders an offer he can't refuse.
The fella knows the club and it's players from back to front , spent years working with and learning from Jurgen  and you know what ? even as I type this I'm thinking he could be our best option maybe even ahead of Alonso   :)

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion