The Search Begins..

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Entourage » Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:24 pm

Now the disappointing news has broken about Carra, surely now the search for centre halves for next season begins?

Only Skrtel and Agger at first team quality with Coates deemed surplus to requirements.
Entourage
LFC Basic Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:49 pm

it seems that rodgers doesnt really rate coates but i think it`s way too early to judge the lad.
he`s not even 23 until halfway through next season and as we all know center halves dont reach their peak until their late 20`s.
being a CB is all about decision making, positioning and reading the game and they are skills that come with experience.
granted coates struggled against oldham but that was his first run out in months and he was up against a 6 foot 7 striker on a pitch that looked like a WWI battlefield and thats without mentioning the freezing conditions and howling gale.
coates wasnt the only one who had a bad game that day, martin skrtel is an experienced international who was linked with a big money move to the league champions last summer and he struggled against oldham too.
the fact the likes of robinson and jones had poor games wouldnt have helped the CB`s either.
it was only a year or so ago that coates won the award for being the best young player at the copa america so he definately has the raw talent and i think he`s worth keeping.
i actually think kelly and coates would make a decent CB pairing in future years.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:32 pm

We also have Martin Kelly to return, he is a centre-back by trade despite his use as a right back.

With his hamstring injuries it may make more sense to start bedding him in as a CB for the first team.
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ben Patrick » Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:24 pm

We've also got Wisdom who is an actual centre half for the future.

Not sure about playing him there right now with his inexeperience but you never know.

Wilson for me wont make the grade and should be moved on.
Sabre looks like a big lezzer
Ben Patrick

Postby Redman in wales » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:04 pm

We definately need one more CB who can "hit the ground running".

Martin Kelly (22)
Sebastián Coates (22)
Andre Wisdom (19)

can all play there, but are all young, inexperienced and none of which have played many first team games at CB.

Even if it's someone like Hangeland (available on a free i think) who could just provide experience and cover. - Have feeling though this may mean Rogers is more likely to go after Ashley Williams.
Redman in wales
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ben Patrick » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:15 pm

Redman in wales » Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:04 pm wrote:We definately need one more CB who can "hit the ground running".

Martin Kelly (22)
Sebastián Coates (22)
Andre Wisdom (19)

can all play there, but are all young, inexperienced and none of which have played many first team games at CB.

Even if it's someone like Hangeland (available on a free i think) who could just provide experience and cover. - Have feeling though this may mean Rogers is more likely to go after Ashley Williams.

Hangeland's a decent shout and i think he may be out of contract at the end of the season.

Not a fan of Williams myself at all, and think he will be overpriced.
I'd ask the Newcastle scout to find us someone, top top scout him.
Sabre looks like a big lezzer
Ben Patrick

Postby red till i die!! » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:27 am

kelly would be a natural replacement for me to fill caraghers shoes.
its all up to rodgers though and id expect him to sign williams with possibly pierce as back up.
what about the forgotten man that is wilson ? looks like another £2 mil spunked down the pan as his contract is up in the summer. he didnt look good enough but again he is only 21 and hasnt really been given a chance
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby damjan193 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:06 am

Yeah, I agree. We should give Kelly and Wisdom a chance to play in their natural position as CBs. We also have Stephen Sama (same age as Wisdom I believe) who looked like an immense player the last time we saw him. Also, with Johnson as a first choice and with Ryan McLaughlin coming trough the ranks, who looks like a kid who has a bright future in football, we got the RB position covered even if we shift Kelly and Wisdom. We might, however, need a bit more experienced player, even if he'll be used just as back up. Hope it won't be Williams though.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby Octsky » Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:33 am

kelly hasnt even sign a new contract yet. he is asking for too much.
he has much potential but i guess the management is worried abt his injury record and unwilling to offer a bummer contract.
hope that kelly can look at the long term prospect of the club, take lesser in money and stay with us.
Octsky
LFC Super Member

Postby lakes10 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:48 pm

I think one thing is very clear, Skrtel is having a bad year.
For me Kelly has it in him you be a great player but yes we do need to buy a few in the next window but i also think that we need to look at what we have got and build on them.
caragher learnt his trade with us and look what he done for us,
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Entourage » Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:03 pm

Hearing that it's to be announced that Martin Kelly has signed a contract.
Entourage
LFC Basic Member

Postby LFC1990 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:46 pm

I think Skrtel and Agger are good enough to allow us to bring Kelly through meaning we dont drastically need to spend money in getting a cb in the summer.

The master and his apprentice
LFC1990
LFC Super Member

Postby stmichael » Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:10 pm

i read that we were interested in ashley williams a couple of weeks ago. i sure hope that's a load of nonsense. massive ego and thinks he's a lot better than he actually is. not to mention his comments on suarez a while back.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby jacdaniel » Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:13 pm

I think we need to sign a CB.  If Kelly or Wisdom are going to be tried at CB, then id prefer to see that tested in the Cups etc.
The PL is too important for us next season to be trying youngsters in a very important position.

And Kelly unfortunately seems on course for an injury plagued career.  I hate to say that, but every season he has spent long spells on the side lines.
"When you walk, through a storm, hold your head up high"
jacdaniel
LFC Super Member

Postby damjan193 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:49 pm

Kelly signed a new contract. 35k per week will be his salary I think. Sounds reasonable IMO (also considering how much Sterling is on).
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion