LIVERPOOL v everton Sat 20th Feb 5.30pm

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby UvS xR4GEx » Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:21 am

We never properly invested after we won the champions league and never properly invested again after we won the Premier league the year after. You always need competition for places otherwise the players become less driven and the place becomes stale. Our starting 11 has been the same for 3 years now excluding injuries of course. Teams study before games, and after 3 years they know exactly what each individual from our team is going to do, they'll know the patterns we use to get our fullbacks in dangerous areas, they'll know the runs both Salah and Mane make from wide areas and that both like to cut onto their strong foot.. They'll know our highline will be not as effective without Virgil and Gomez as them 2 are the quickest CB pairing in the Prem and without them a quick striker will be able to exploit that area behind.

Like someone said previously we need to change formation or change the way we play, because after 3 years we've become predictable.
UvS xR4GEx
LFC Guru Member

Postby fivecups » Sun Feb 21, 2021 12:54 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sat Feb 20, 2021 9:40 pm wrote:
bunglemark2 » Sat Feb 20, 2021 9:21 pm wrote:Part of me can't help thinking that sitting this bunch of prima donnas in front of a TV, watching footage from the '70's of lfc teams with Souness, Hansen, Lawro, Phil Neal and all the others who played with steel, with bite, hunger, passion... To show them what made this club the club it is. That'll maybe make them realise what this club is all about. Bring in Stevie G or God knows who else to ignite the pride in the jersey.

I don’t think that type of criticism is fair mate, these players won us our first title in 30 years and were 10mm away from back to back titles. They did something the likes of Gerrard, Fowler, McManaman, Owen, Alonso, Torres, Suarez, Mascherano et al couldn’t do in a red shirt. If that wasn’t enough they got us to back to back CL finals as well, in an era of financially doped clubs to boot.
This group of players certainly don’t lack heart, bottle or respect for the shirt.
I think it’s just a case of injuries and maybe Father Time catching up with one or two of them.

Agree Yakka, also for whatever reason they appear to be burnt out. It is amazing how far their form has dropped, we're losing most games at the minute! And terrible luck with injuries, so many muscle injuries, I wonder if Andy Massey's departure led to any changes. Our first 5 choice CBs are now injured, hard to believe really.
fivecups
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Reg » Sun Feb 21, 2021 1:41 pm

There is no reason for all their heads to go down together though, it's illogical that they all fold at the same time.

If you recall, the rot started when there were rumours that Mo might be leaving, it's as if a bubble burst at that point, maybe the reality that the team might be broken up?

However they need to get back on the horse and start earning their money, it'll be a financial disaster if we don't qualify for CL next season..
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Feb 21, 2021 1:45 pm

With so many of our stalwarts either approaching 30 or over 30 we clearly need to invest in the squad but with so many injuries it’s difficult assess exactly which area’s need strengthening the most.
Some might say our defence needs strengthening but if Virgil, Joe and Joel return as good as new we’ll be stacked in that area, there will be CB’s playing now that probably won’t ever make another match day squad.
Same with the midfield, for all we know Fab, Thiago and Naby could be a MF combination that complements each other perfectly but because of the injury situation we just don’t know, and who’s to say Jota won’t come back and spark our forward line back into life?
We just need to ride out this storm and get players back and then assess where we are after that.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby chriserfolg » Sun Feb 21, 2021 3:17 pm

Our foundation , the cb's had a massive collapse and that affected our wingbacks , GK and eventually contaminated the whole team .

Our upfront are obviously massively burned out , and the situation above accelerated it . Jota's return will refresh things and maybe by a long stretch, hoping for a miracle from keita to actually step up cause now is the best f time for him .

Other then that , it's going to be a tough one till the end .A massively painful learning curve for everyone involved at the club ATM but the faith is there that the right personals are the involved to learn and catapult us positively in the future .
chriserfolg
LFC Basic Member

Postby Franky000 » Sun Feb 21, 2021 3:44 pm

Another factor that contributed to the collapse was when Jota got injured (and in a very inconsequential game as well) because not only did he get us goals but his performance off the ball compensated for Bobby's lack of form. I hope that when he returns he can hit the ground running and lead by example, because at the moment we have nobody taking responsibility. We had all the pieces in place at the beginning of the season, grinding out results even when not playing particularly well, but it's uncanny how everyone just started dropping like flies. I also think the players felt overly sorry for themselves at some admittedly dubious VAR decisions (some of which were criminal). I don't buy into them lacking passion or desire; it's just a combination of mental fatigue and a lack of quality in depth. Looking further back, as some have already mentioned, it all really comes down to lack of investment. With business, revenue is used to strengthen one's standing in the market, and we simply haven't done that, as if to be overly eager to prove a point of winning frugally. We'll come out of this; we just need to make the next few windows count. Question is, will we go all out or just add a new addition here and there?

Anyway, it could be worse....we could be Tottenham....
Franky000

Postby Franky000 » Sun Feb 21, 2021 3:53 pm

bunglemark2 » Sat Feb 20, 2021 7:57 pm wrote:If that game went on until midnight we still wouldn't have scored.
The shyte I'm getting from Bitters, Mancs, even f'kin Leicester fans is unreal.

Might want to remind them how their team totally collapsed the season after they won the league?
Franky000

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:43 pm

I think it’s worth remembering amidst all the doom and gloom that we led the league for most of the season and were indeed top at Christmas, this despite having an injury list as long as your arm. Granted since the turn of the new year results have been terrible but results have been far worse than performances.
It’s not as if teams have had us penned back in our own box and it’s been like the Alamo, practically every game bar maybe the City one and even in that game until Ally’s mistakes we were more than holding our own, they’ve all been smash and grabs, yesterday was, the Leicester game was, in every game we’ve dominated the ball and the midfield but have failed to break down packed defences, teams have then taken advantage of our makeshift defence to hit us on the break.
Get a few players back and we’ll be fine.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby red till i die!! » Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:03 pm

I dont think we have the players to mix it up and get back to winning ways. We have no physical strength and no height to call on so it limits what we can do.  What we will do is hope Keita manages to stay fit and that pray Jota can reignite a bit of a spark into our play.  It's more tired the players are getting as the season progresses so doubt we have it in the tank to step it up.

We need to sign a CH to go straight in with Virg. If Virg is taking time to get back to fitness we need to have someone reliable.

A striker. It's a joke not having one and we need one like Haaland. The 3 up fronts strike rate is ridiculous and the back up is worse. They are so predictable and easy to contain with a bit of discipline.

2 changes to the starting 11 and then sort out some of those useless fringe players. Shaq, Origi, minamino and Ox. If Keita cant play any part this season then bin him off as well.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby leeroy74 » Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:23 pm

and lets not forget it wasn't all 'Roy of the Rovers' games in the 70's either, we had games where we stank the place out, it wasn't us steamrollering everyone.
leeroy74
LFC Super Member

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - Games