Moving forward

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:00 pm

Klopp has spent 4 years building a squad which is now entering it’s peak years and is currently doing some truly extraordinary things. It would make no sense whatsoever to be actively looking to sell key players who are showing no sign of dropping off. Unless Barcelona or Real Madrid target someone and are able to successfully turn their head, something which is far more difficult than 4 years ago, I don’t see any key players leaving us this summer.

Clyne and Lallana will leave on bosmans in the summer but I don’t think we’ll look for any like for like replacements in the transfer market. They are way down the pecking order so don’t get many minutes for us and it just so happens that two of our best prospects are a RB (Neco Williams) and an AM (Curtis Jones). Klopp is keen to keep a pathway for youngsters open so I think he’ll throw down the challenge to Williams and Jones next season just like he did to Brewster this year.

Lovren seemed pretty close to leaving in the summer and considering he’s still 4th choice I think he’ll be off. Klopp seems keen to maintain a smaller but versatile group of players so I think in an ideal world he would bring in a CB to replace Lovren who can also cover LB. But that’s not easy, so it’s more likely he’ll end up bringing in someone who can cover Robbo in addition to a Lovren replacement.

All the signs seem to point towards the big signing(s) being attacking one(s). Genuine cover/competition/succession planning for the front 3 seems to have been on the agenda for a few windows but has always been lower down the priority list as we look to address areas of the first 11. But looking at how strong the squad is now I think it goes towards the top of the list. Sounds like Shaq wants out and too be honest I don’t think he was ever anything apart from a cheap stop gap so we could go big on Alisson and Fabinho. One of Werner or Sancho is a good shout and if we did bring one of them in I could see Firmino being deployed as a 10 at times so we can accommodate all 4. If Real or Barcelona come sniffing and take one of the front 3 from us, then I could see us going for 2 from Werner, Sancho and maybe even Mbappe.

I don’t see any major upheaval in the summer driven by the club. Below are some quotes from Klopp over the weekend which gives you a bit of insight into what he’s thinking.

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/transfers/liverpool-transfer-news-werner-mbappe-summer-signings-latest-a9353551.html

While Klopp doesn’t particularly like the tag (best in the world) – “I don’t really get it. It’s nice when people say it, it’s better than if they say you are the worst team in the world, obviously” – he admits it can assist in transfer negotiations.

“It’s easier if players see you as that,” Klopp said. “If they see you are successful, it’s easier to get into talks with players. But on the other side, it’s more difficult the better your team is because they ask questions like ‘where and when would I play?’

“We need players who want to be part of this, who want to fight for their spot, who want to make the next step together with us, who want to develop and improve so that’s it.  We have these players and whoever wants to join us, needs to have exactly this kind of attitude.

“That CV is not easy to fulfil. The age group of our team is good in the moment. In two or three years maybe it’ll be different, but for the moment, it’s good. It depends on what you want – is it a good age for selling? Probably not.  But is it a good age for performing? Yes. So there’s a lot of things we have to think about. It’s an interesting period.”

“Last summer, we did Sepp, Harvey and Adrian and people were not happy that we didn’t do any more than that because they think we need this and that here and there,” Klopp said. “We will see if we can make the right decisions again. It doesn’t depend on us alone, it’s the market, it’s the things around that will have an influence.

“It’s not that we are going mad about what is out there – we want the right player, we don’t just sign any.”

“I think for some players, if Barcelona or Real call, it’s hard to say ‘no,’” the German said. “I think for the whole world, Liverpool are one of the top, top, top, top clubs. But in the South American part of the world, the other two are a bit more famous which makes sense language and culture-wise.

“It’s why calls from them could always cause some trouble, but apart from that, there’s not 500 clubs who could buy players from us.”

i think yes what about you
Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kazza » Wed Feb 26, 2020 6:13 am

kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Reg » Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:20 am

Personally I have zero interest in either Kylian Mbappe or Jadon Sancho. Werner's good enough and the price is right.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby leeroy74 » Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:56 am

Why even talk about breaking up the all conquering Liverpool Team? Come the summer this team will be European cup (2019 at least), World Club Champions and Premier League winners. Maybe even the FA cup thrown in too. Why break up the team? Keep them together for another 2 - 3 seasons but just add one or two quality adjustments (Werner etc) that can compliment what we have got.

In my opinion we are too quick off the mark to break up this team. Tell Madrid to f*** right off too. They think they have the rights to anyone in the world that is doing ok. They have to learn they're place which at the moment is below Liverpool in the world pecking order.

deal with it Madrid.
leeroy74
LFC Super Member

Postby kazza » Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:55 pm

I would not break up the team, I say we buy someone to replace one of the front three and a midfielder this summer and bed them into the team over the next season so that come the following summer if we sell, then we are not held To ransom, selling from a position of strength not desperation. We do need to buy quality though.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby damjan193 » Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:01 pm

We'll probably need a new forward even if everyone stays, since both Mane and Salah won't be available in the busiest period because of the African Cup. Ideally, we'll sign a forward now, he takes time to adapt with less pressure, and then we sell one of our forwards for a lot of money next summer.

However, I wouldn't hold it against the club if they think it'll be best to sell one of our forwards this summer. They're not getting any younger and their price will drop down with each transfer window. Don't get me wrong, I'd love everyone to stay as long as possible, but our owners are no sheikhs, they're running a business in this club after all.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby leeroy74 » Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:19 am

Mane, Firmino and Salah's value will be right at peak at the moment, come this summer they will be worth the most they can be. However, an addition to support them of equal quality will be an advantage. selling one to buy another - not so sure.
leeroy74
LFC Super Member

Postby Lallana in Pyjamas » Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:25 pm

Reg » Wed Feb 26, 2020 7:20 am wrote:Personally I have zero interest in either Kylian Mbappe or Jadon Sancho. Werner's good enough and the price is right.

Jadon Sancho is the exact type of player Klopp loves , he is a mix of Salah and Mane and is at tbe perfect age for Klopp ideals

It wouldn’t surprise me one bit for the club to look at Sancho but not Werner and certainly never Mbappe
Lallana in Pyjamas
LFC Super Member

Postby damjan193 » Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:57 pm

Lallana in Pyjamas » Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:25 pm wrote:
Reg » Wed Feb 26, 2020 7:20 am wrote:Personally I have zero interest in either Kylian Mbappe or Jadon Sancho. Werner's good enough and the price is right.

Jadon Sancho is the exact type of player Klopp loves , he is a mix of Salah and Mane and is at tbe perfect age for Klopp ideals

It wouldn’t surprise me one bit for the club to look at Sancho but not Werner and certainly never Mbappe

Why not Werner?

Sancho would only arrive if one of our main forwards leaves IMO, but we can get Werner even if everyone stays.

No chance of getting Mbappe.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:48 pm

Given all the chat in the papers etc and indeed some of the stuff he’s come out with himself i’ll be very surprised if we don’t sign Werner. Can’t say I’m 100% convinced about the lad but to be fair to him did look good against tottenham the other night.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby kazza » Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:21 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu Feb 27, 2020 5:48 pm wrote:Given all the chat in the papers etc and indeed some of the stuff he’s come out with himself i’ll be very surprised if we don’t sign Werner. Can’t say I’m 100% convinced about the lad but to be fair to him did look good against tottenham the other night.

Werner, capped 29 times for Germany with 11 international goals, has netted 27 times in 33 games so far this season, including 21 in 23 Bundesliga outings.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maguskwt » Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:14 am

kazza » Fri Feb 28, 2020 6:21 pm wrote:
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu Feb 27, 2020 5:48 pm wrote:Given all the chat in the papers etc and indeed some of the stuff he’s come out with himself i’ll be very surprised if we don’t sign Werner. Can’t say I’m 100% convinced about the lad but to be fair to him did look good against tottenham the other night.

Werner, capped 29 times for Germany with 11 international goals, has netted 27 times in 33 games so far this season, including 21 in 23 Bundesliga outings.

Looks like an out and out striker and a very good intelligent finisher.

My question is would Klopp go for an out and out striker? We are currently playing with 3 false 9's in front...
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby leeroy74 » Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:30 am

I think Werner deal has probably been signed and sealed for a couple of weeks now. I'm sure it'll get announced once the league is wrapped up.
leeroy74
LFC Super Member

Postby kazza » Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:00 am

Moving forward... new f*cking backup keeper  :veryangry
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby leeroy74 » Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:25 pm

I agree, Adrian is garbage and has been every game he's played for us. Yes he has been on the winning team most games but he's a goal waiting to happen. Teams know with him in the net they'll score at least 1.

Front line as good as they are shouldn't be clocking up 1 goal in 38 shots. I say 1 goal because our midfield scored the other last night. I'm talking Firmino, Mane, Salah. not good enough.

we haven't got the option to bring anyone on who can find the net.
leeroy74
LFC Super Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion