Moving forward

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby kazza » Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:41 pm

Let’s assume (@ss U me) that we win the premier this year which looks likely, what needs to be done this summer to ensure we improve and cement our dominance? We have some players getting older with contracts winding down and a potential to replace them with better younger players.

Here are all the Liverpool FC Players and their age in 2020.

Liverpool FC Players and their age    Age

Mohamed Salah                                  27
Virgil van Dijk                                    28
Xherdan Shaqiri                                  28
Sadio Mane                                         27
Roberto Firmino                                  28
Alisson Becker                                     27
Trent Alexander-Arnold                       21
Dejan Lovren                                      30
James Milner                                      34
Naby Keita                                         25
Fabinho                                              26
Andy Robertson                                   25
Joe Gomez                                         22
Divock origi                                        24
Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain                     26
Georginio Wijnaldum                           29
Jordan Henderson                              29
Adam Lallana                                     31
Joel Matip                                           28
Takumi Minamino                                25

Potential transfers                               Cost

Mbappe                                                 300+ (No chance)
Sancho                                                  100
Kai Havertz                                             85
Timo Werner                                           60

I am ok in principle with the defenders we have and their ages, if a better option comes along then Lovren will be surplus to requirement.

I sense that Gini will want regular football and may not get that guarantee, also he is 29 next year and while still in his peak will be in decline, especially for a midfielder. The same could be said for Hendo but I think Hendo is more likely to stay than Gini. Lallana will probably go and Milner will stay another year and probably start coaching. So by that logic we may lose Gini and Lallana this summer and will need at least one CM. I think we go fo Havertz for central midfield and give him a season to adapt.

For our front three i think sooner rather than later we will lose either Salah, Mane or Firmino. I would aim to sell Salah the following season and It looks like we are moving on Timo Werner, which to me makes sense.

For the first time in ages we are a force, both financially and as an attractive proposition to the best players, we have a great chance to cement a great team that will compete with the best for at least five years, we need to make it count.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kazza » Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:14 am

kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maguskwt » Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:10 am

kazza » Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:41 pm wrote:Let’s assume (@ss U me) that we win the premier this year which looks likely, what needs to be done this summer to ensure we improve and cement our dominance? We have some players getting older with contracts winding down and a potential to replace them with better younger players.

Here are all the Liverpool FC Players and their age in 2020.

Liverpool FC Players and their age    Age

Mohamed Salah                                  27
Virgil van Dijk                                    28
Xherdan Shaqiri                                  28
Sadio Mane                                         27
Roberto Firmino                                  28
Alisson Becker                                     27
Trent Alexander-Arnold                       21
Dejan Lovren                                      30
James Milner                                      34
Naby Keita                                         25
Fabinho                                              26
Andy Robertson                                   25
Joe Gomez                                         22
Divock origi                                        24
Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain                     26
Georginio Wijnaldum                           29
Jordan Henderson                              29
Adam Lallana                                     31
Joel Matip                                           28
Takumi Minamino                                25

Potential transfers                               Cost

Mbappe                                                 300+ (No chance)
Sancho                                                  100
Kai Havertz                                             85
Timo Werner                                           60

I am ok in principle with the defenders we have and their ages, if a better option comes along then Lovren will be surplus to requirement.

I sense that Gini will want regular football and may not get that guarantee, also he is 29 next year and while still in his peak will be in decline, especially for a midfielder. The same could be said for Hendo but I think Hendo is more likely to stay than Gini. Lallana will probably go and Milner will stay another year and probably start coaching. So by that logic we may lose Gini and Lallana this summer and will need at least one CM. I think we go fo Havertz for central midfield and give him a season to adapt.

For our front three i think sooner rather than later we will lose either Salah, Mane or Firmino. I would aim to sell Salah the following season and It looks like we are moving on Timo Werner, which to me makes sense.

For the first time in ages we are a force, both financially and as an attractive proposition to the best players, we have a great chance to cement a great team that will compete with the best for at least five years, we need to make it count.

I don't even care what we do anymore mate. Such is my trust in Klopp finding raw gems and turning them into world class players...
pointless thread... :rasp
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redshade » Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:24 am

I didn't know Hendo and Wij are 29, I thought they both are roughly 31-32.

Werner or Sancho would be ideal.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby damjan193 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:21 pm

Well, specifically for next season, we actually don't need to do much. We're probably the best team in the world right now and unless a key player leaves in the summer, not much will change for us come next season. Long term however, we'll need to start thinking about youthening our aging main 11, and the sooner we start doing that the better.

As Kazza said, we're more or less fine in defence for now, but we have two key midfielders (Gini and Hendo) who are going to be 30 when next season starts, while our main forwards will all be turning 28. Not only should we be looking to sign players that could replace some of the older ones, but we should probably try to cash in on some of said older players. Our owners are running a business after all and we can't really afford to let everyone go on a free in a few years time, when some of those players are worth £100m at the moment, maybe more.

So, we have a bit of a dilemma here. Do we replace and sell an aging player, that has still a lot to offer but will fetch a good a price, or do we hold on to them but risk losing them on free or for a much lower price in future trasnfer windows? Difficult situation, but as maguskwt says above, the people in charge have made the right decisions so far and I trust they'll continue to do so.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:47 pm

Jurgen said one of the main reasons he signed that contract extension was because he knows a major rebuild is coming down the line and rather than burdening a new manager with something as daunting as breaking up his history making team and starting again from scratch he thinks it’s best if he does the job himself.
A lot of managers would prefer to get out whilst the going is good to make themselves look good  (### cough cough Alex Ferguson ####) but it just shows the character of the man that he’s not prepared to leave his successor in the lurch, once Jurgen wraps this title up he’s going to be a God around here and whoever follows him has got an impossible task.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby kazza » Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:06 am

I think this summer is important as we can buy top young talent and bleed them into the team next year so we are able to sell our older stars and cash in without leaving a vacuum. If Sancho went to ManUre there would be so much pressure on him to carry the team, it could ruin the player, he comes here this summer and he can play himself into an already great team and frankly if I were him I would rather develop under Klopp than Ole  :D . I think the same could be said for Havertz and Werner.

We buy top young talent this summer and I think we dominate for a while, this summer is important. For the first time in years we do not say that we are “x” players away from a title winning side, now we buy from a position of strength and now we are a top draw side that can attract the players we want. We do not want to go back to where we were so the decisions we make this summer will determine if this is a good team or the beginning of a dynasty. I am excited at the potential!
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Reg » Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:13 am

On the whole it remains a young squad so it'll be a balance of developing the young talent and bringing in a few experienced or top quality heads. The real rebuild will be in 5 years so more important in my mind that we ensure we gt the right fella to replace Herr Klopp.

Per Yakka's comment, Pep needs to make his mind up whether to commit to an extension and rebuild or run away. Let's hope it's the latter.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Welsh wizzard 13 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:55 pm

Zzz
Welsh wizzard 13
LFC Member

Postby Welsh wizzard 13 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:57 pm

Why cant I post anything longer than 3 letters ?
Welsh wizzard 13
LFC Member

Postby Welsh wizzard 13 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:59 pm

Tino Werner is a priority inside club say resources klopp rates him highly and at 60m adds another dimension to the front line. Mane and Salah on wings with Bobby in AM in the hole.
Welsh wizzard 13
LFC Member

Postby kazza » Mon Feb 24, 2020 5:28 am

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/jurgen-klopp-makes-demand-liverpool-17799916?ASc&fbclid=IwAR0wPJX-cg7bqd5hWLzOQfDQBcnZFMAqzDF5zUYGTvMzLyp0Oshm8bBUZIc

So we don't get caught out we need to start thinking of replacements in the next couple of years and the best time to bring in top future players in now to allow them to bed in slowly without all the pressure of carrying a team. In the next couple of years we will probably have lost at least two of the front three. I have no issues selling Salah for example if we have top young talent already bedded in the team ready to fill his position. Players willing to come without guarantees of playing time will ensure they are “Liverpool type players” and not divas that require this and that. Our strength is our team spirit and that could easily be unbalanced.

My choice is Havertz and Werner this summer and a replacement for Lovren.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby leeroy74 » Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:06 am

If City get the ban then I wouldn't say no to G.Jesus at our club. What a talent.
leeroy74
LFC Super Member

Postby devaney » Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:51 pm

Let me chuck in a curved ball ?? Given Salah’s age, and I’ve got a massive amount of time for Mo, would you take £150m/£175m for him in the summer. We are now in an incredibly enviable position and maybe even more so by the end of the season. I’ve always maintained that geography is key in the decision-making process with a lot of top-flight players. However with Liverpool becoming a massive force to be reckoned with in Europe that will go a very long way to overcoming possible geographic problems. Players will certainly be more likely to tell their highly paid model model wives that London Barcelona or Madrid will simply have to go on the back burner !! LFC has done some fantastic work in the transfer market over the last few years and that something that I believe will continue without spending ridiculous sums of money. Virgil Van Dyck and Alisson Becker are absolutely brilliant exceptions to the rule. The club at that time needed a commanding goalkeeper and centre back and really we probably couldn’t have done any better. On the other hand Barcelona are probably wondering just how did Liverpool persuade us to pay £142m for Philippe Coutinho who has proved to be something of a flop at both Barcelona and Bayern Munich where he is currently on loan. Pogba and Sanchez are classic examples of how things can go badly wrong when you spend crazy amounts of money. Ozil is another who comes to mind.Let’s face it they are littered all over the place! Mbappé is a truly fantastic player and would probably be welcomed by any club in the world. He would probably cost circa £300m and wages of £300k per week. Would you take that risk if we sold Mo for £150/175m ?? I’m on the fence !!
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby kazza » Mon Feb 24, 2020 2:32 pm

I’d take the risk, especially that I feel he has one eye on Madrid anyway. I think we get Werner and play him on the right. I do think we will miss Salah’s left foot but we will sell him at his peak price and we can get two/three outstanding young prospects that will become world class under our fantastic manager. It would be a proactive move rather than a reactivate and i feel it is the right time to do it.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion