All new official Klopp thread

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby eds » Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:39 am

devaney » Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:13 am wrote:Instead of absurdly suggesting that fans won’t forgive Klopp for loaning out Clyne we should get behind Klopp and the team and be grateful for what we have achieved so far. After 25 matches last season we were 18 points behind City and a 27 goal inferior difference. Who would have believed that at the same stage this season that we would be 3 points ahead of City and close to them on goal difference ??

Stop trying to put words into my mouth, I'm not having a go at Klopp, I'm simply pointing out the intense pressure he is under.

I actually fully agree, now more than ever we need to get behind him and our players rather than abuse them for having a bad patch and drawing 2 games.

My comments are simply in response to what I have been reading in reaction to the transfer decisions made in January on different fans voicing their opinions and football articles.

The following article summarises a bit of that:

http://www.espn.com.au/football/club/liverpool/364/blog/post/3767684/liverpools-lack-of-depth-squad-beginning-to-wreak-havoc-on-premier-league-title-bid

So far, Liverpool are not showing themselves to be weighed down by nerves or the fear of failure. That is not the problem that Klopp has to address. The big issue facing the German is how to fill the gaps in his team when key men are missing because, as we have now seen in successive games, the players who are promoted from the bench when injuries and suspension claim the first choice are not at the same level as those who are missing.

Milner, as reliable as he has been for Liverpool, no longer has the legs to play at right-back, but with Alexander-Arnold and Gomez injured and Nathaniel Clyne surprisingly allowed to join Bournemouth on loan, the former England player is being asked to plug a gap he isn't able to fill, and he was repeatedly caught out of position at the London Stadium. And by playing Milner at right-back, Klopp denies the team the veteran's work rate and experience in midfield -- qualities that were desperately missed against West Ham with Henderson and Wijnaldum unavailable.

That's a pretty frank assessment of what Klopp has to deal with, and all I'm saying is that he is now under an intense spotlight to rework his system and deliver a much needed win in his next game. If he doesn't do anything to change the tactics of the last 2 games, we run the risk of drawing a whole host of games, because as Only Me suggested we are too scared to lose games rather than go for win.

None of us want to see our team play the same way they have in the last 2 games and Klopp is the only one that can fix that.
"LIVERPOOL: 6 European Cups, 19 Domestic Titles, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 9 League Cups and 4 European Super Cups and 1 Club World Championship

All other English clubs pale into insignificance!"
eds

Postby devaney » Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:12 pm

Not trying to put words in your mouth. I just found your suggestion somewhat absurd that fans won't forgive Klopp especially given what he has achieved so far this season. But lets face it fans are fickle aren't they Eds !!  :D
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:32 pm

Main points

So basically Virgil lost 4 kilos when he was ill .
Milner never trained and was still way off match fit after returning from illness.
Our injury list has now reached the severity were it can be used as a genuine factor in our mini slump.
Noble is just saying what every opponent we face from now on will use as a vehicle to demean our challenge.
We're apparently enjoying the moment and the media shouldn't feel sorry for us.
I've never seen the manager that eager to finish a conference and he's evidently vexed with the ineptitude of our performance.
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redshade » Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:00 am

redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby devaney » Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:54 am

The front three of Salah, Mané and Firmino  have looked readable and vulnerable in many games this season and Klopp has been reluctant to change things which is understandable. However against Watford Origi due to Firmino’s injury offered a very different dimension playing on the left and make no mistake he did an excellent job and probably scored the best goal all night.

My one major criticism of Klopp is that he doesn’t change things quickly enough. Moreno, Mignolet and Clyne are classic examples. Reasonable players but never up to trophy winning standards. Henderson is another that falls into that category. They are all squad players at best. It took Clyne and Moreno to get injured before Klopp did anything and now we have Trent and Robbo doing exceptional work. It took ***** up after ***** up from Mignolet and then a CL final disaster from Karius before the goalkeeping situation was taken seriously. Lovren is another accident waiting to happen and again it took an injury for Klopp to realise just how good Gomez was in Lovren’s position. Klopp has done some great work but the squad still needs a massive amount of work and upgrades are required in numerous areas if we are to seriously compete with the very best.

Serious lessons were learned in the CL final and we have come a very long way. Quite simply we have got to be a lot more proactive rather than being reactive and we are now in a much better financial place to do that. Let’s face it we are close to greatness but sometimes close is not enough !! Just ask Spurs and Arsenal supporters !! For a club of our stature not to win the league for 30 years is unbelievable and the management and owner mistakes during that time have been even more unbelievable. We are now probably in the best position in overall terms than we have been for decades and it is time to answer the critics.
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby devaney » Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:14 am

The front three of Salah, Mané and Firmino  have looked readable and vulnerable in many games this season and Klopp has been reluctant to change things which is understandable. However against Watford Origi due to Firmino’s injury offered a very different dimension playing on the left and make no mistake he did an excellent job and probably scored the best goal all night.

My one major criticism of Klopp is that he doesn’t change things quickly enough. Moreno, Mignolet and Clyne are classic examples. Reasonable players but never up to trophy winning standards. Henderson is another that falls into that category. They are all squad players at best. It took Clyne and Moreno to get injured before Klopp did anything and now we have Trent and Robbo doing exceptional work. It took ***** up after ***** up from Mignolet and then a CL final disaster from Karius before the goalkeeping situation was taken seriously. Lovren is another accident waiting to happen and again it took an injury for Klopp to realise just how good Gomez was in Lovren’s position. Klopp has done some great work but the squad still needs a massive amount of work and upgrades are required in numerous areas if we are to seriously compete with the very best.

Serious lessons were learned in the CL final and we have come a very long way. Quite simply we have got to be a lot more proactive rather than being reactive and we are now in a much better financial place to do that. Let’s face it we are close to greatness but sometimes close is not enough !! Just ask Spurs and Arsenal supporters !! For a club of our stature not to win the league for 30 years is unbelievable and the management and owner mistakes during that time have been even more unbelievable. We are now probably in the best position in overall terms than we have been for decades and it is time to answer the critics.
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby devaney » Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:35 pm

I think today against Everton Klopp once again failed to display any kind of imagination when things clearly needed to be changed. His substitutions were awful and we looked a lot worse after Milner, Firmino and Lallana came on. Without being to cruel to Adam because he has struggled with injuries he shouldn’t even be on the bench. I admire Kloppo tremendously but that is not to say that he doesn’t have his shortcomings. If we are going to win this fkg title then everybody with the exception of our brilliant defence needs to step up.

Come on Jurgen you can do this thing.

I am not giving up on this dream - YET !!

COYR
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:44 pm

We just lack quality, City always have 2 of these 3 (Kevin De Bruyne, David Silva, Bernardo Silva) playing behind their front 3.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Red Rum » Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:57 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:44 pm wrote:We just lack quality, City always have 2 of these 3 (Kevin De Bruyne, David Silva, Bernardo Silva) playing behind their front 3.

This Gegenpressing system doesn't work in every game, it's very difficult to press for 90 mins and we don't have the personell in Midfield to control games either.

We desperately need a playmaker.
Red Rum
LFC Advanced Member

Postby Santa » Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:58 pm

We have Keita and Shaqiri, not the same quality as City’s midfield of course but both are attack minded players when we need to search for a goal, Instead Klopp pulls the rabbit out of the hat by taking out Mane (a player who could work some magic when given a chance) and instead replace him with a Banana whom we know no longer brings anything to the table. Hard questions need to be asked...what was he smoking?
Never try to teach a pig to sing...

...it only waste your time, and annoys the pig
Santa
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kazza » Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:14 am

Everton 0-0 Liverpool: Have Reds become too cautious on the road? Danny Murphy analysis

By Danny Murphy

It might not be deliberate but there seems to be something overly cautious about Liverpool's play in away games at the moment, and it is starting to become a concern.

I am not just talking about Sunday's 0-0 draw at Everton, because it has been the case for the last few weeks now that Jurgen Klopp's side have not been as dangerous as I have expected on the road.

It was the same at Manchester United last week, and at West Ham earlier in February too.

Maybe it is the pressure of being in a title race but Liverpool dropped points in all of those games, scoring only one goal in total, and on each occasion there were times when Klopp could and should have been bolder.

Liverpool aren't as clinical - Murphy
I do not mean they had to go for it from the start of those matches, either. It is fair enough for Liverpool to go to Goodison Park or Old Trafford and begin by keeping things tight, not open up with a really attack-minded gameplan.

What is more of a worry is that Klopp did not react to what was happening during those games, and increase his side's attacking threat when they were offering so little compared to what we have come to expect from them.

In terms of results, I actually thought a draw at Old Trafford was OK, even with all United's injuries, because it meant Liverpool were still top of the league.

This weekend it was different. They needed to beat Everton to go back above City but there never seemed to be a point in the game where Klopp really said 'we are going to make changes and go for this'.

Salah missed and nobody else looked like scoring

Liverpool's thinking in their recent away games seems to be along the lines of 'stay solid and hope our front three will nick a goal'.

If Mohamed Salah had taken one of his chances on Sunday then that plan would have worked but, this time, it didn't and nobody else looked like winning the game for them.

Part of the problem was the way Liverpool were set up in their 4-3-3 formation, because of the personnel in their midfield.

Whatever the combination is out of Fabinho, Georginio Wijnaldum, Jordan Henderson, Naby Keita or James Milner, they all have similar traits and there are not many goals in there.

I remember watching Liverpool a few times earlier in the season when they played in a 4-2-3-1, with two holding midfielders instead of three and Roberto Firmino behind Salah, who was playing down the middle.

They might not have been quite as good defensively, but they looked a threat the whole time.

One of the options Klopp had was to revert to that shape at Goodison, because what he was doing was not working.

It is not as if he was going to be changing to a system his side had not played before, or that he would be putting players in that were not capable.

Instead, Liverpool just kept on trying to do the same things and, at the end of the game, Everton were actually the team pushing on.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Red Rum » Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:32 pm

The manager has said today that he is happy chasing man City? Im not, don't know about you lot.
Red Rum
LFC Advanced Member

Postby devaney » Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:44 am

Exactly what did you expect him to say?
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby Lallana in Pyjamas » Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:00 am

Red Rum » Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:32 pm wrote:The manager has said today that he is happy chasing man City? Im not, don't know about you lot.

They have had issues under pressure before Xmas , now they have some injury issues to key players along with some big games to come - it’s far from over and maybe a little bit of pressure has come away from us and now onto them

It’s going to be a hell of a last 9 games and this is far from over - if City win all 9 and we win all 9 then it’s prob the best title race for decades and the team should be proud of what they have done already

Then we go again next year with the squad reinforced
Lallana in Pyjamas
LFC Super Member

Postby redshade » Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:36 am

Red Rum » Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:32 pm wrote:The manager has said today that he is happy chasing man City? Im not, don't know about you lot.

Certain players/teams prefer staying on top however i feel we prefer to be underdogs and chasing so i guess maybe that is what Klopp was referring to.

Maureen was asked this same question and he say he prefers to stay ahead and feels chasing make you more nervous. I don't like the guy but it was quite interesting what he was saying.

https://youtu.be/sgudCL4HvaE
redshade
LFC Guru Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion