JAY SPEARING - Official Thread

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Dundalk » Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:18 am

Jay is 20 now and Rafa has just offered him a new contract in March. Reading into this it would seem that he thinks Jay has a future with us. Last season he didn't feature in a premier league match and his only two appearances came in the CL, most notably against Real Madrid. This upcoming season it would seem his chances of first team football are slim with Plessis slightly in front of him in the pecking order.

Do you think he has a future with us? Have you seen anything in his game to suggest he will be a big player for us in years to come?
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:24 am

Dundalk wrote:Do you think he has a future with us? Have you seen anything in his game to suggest he will be a big player for us in years to come?

No, and no. I just don't think he's good enough to be perfectly honest, much as I would like to big him up given his background, nationality and all that jazz.
Last edited by bigmick on Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:25 am

A year ago when I watched him in pre-season I would have said a slight chance, sadly now I don't think there is much hope at all mate.

I have read somewhere that he is a decent full back(?) so maybe once Degen gets injured again he may have a chance there.
account deleted by request

Postby Dundalk » Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:33 am

I watched him tonight in the game against Lyn and I wasn't that impressed, his vision with the ball wasn't bad but his execution didn't back it up. He would look to play a good pass but sometimes it just didn't come off. I never heard that about him being a good full back, it could be a possibility. Rafa dosent seem to do sentiment so he must see something in the boy to offer him a new 3 year contract
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Reg » Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:42 am

He's english, a squad player and therefore if nothing else, a tick in the right box.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Fauxy » Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:07 am

He will never be good enough
Fauxy

Postby JoeTerp » Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:50 am

he is a decent fullback, but so are Darby and Irwin. Kelly might even be the best of the lot, and he could be our 4th CB as well
JoeTerp

Postby aCe' » Thu Aug 06, 2009 4:02 am

i havent seen any signs from Kelly, SanJose or any of the other youngsters to make me believe theyd be up for being 4th choice when it comes to CBs... Kelly seems to be a better RB than CB, good touch and knows when to pass the ball and press forward, defensively im yet to see him tested when playing the role so i wouldnt know...

In fact, the only youngster I've been impressed with has been Pacheco... even Insua im starting to have second thoughts about, seems to lose possession far too easily and doesnt look too comfortable when on the ball unless he has space.... will wait and see though he seemed to do well when given the chance last season...

Jay Spearing, i dont think hes as bad as made out... is he ready ? not for me. But hes shown more game intelligence than Plessis and Lucas and seems to be more of a goal threat than the pair... im not sure Rafa knows where the lad plays, im not sure i do either tbh... seems more a box-to-box midfielder than defensive holding midfielder so maybe thats why hes struggled a little.. good drive, good eye for a pass and has a good shot on him, lacks experience and confidence however and if we werent short on homegrown talent for the championsleague i would have thought a loan deal would have done him good...
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bunglemark2 » Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:46 am

Don't think he's good enough. Too lightweight, brushed off too easily. And I don't think he's better than those in front of him right now...
http://s2.tinypic.com/30ldif7_th.jpg
See yooo, Judas. Yoo're gettin' on mah titz !
bunglemark2

Postby Nando26 » Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:49 am

s@int wrote:A year ago when I watched him in pre-season I would have said a slight chance, sadly now I don't think there is much hope at all mate.

I have read somewhere that he is a decent full back(?) so maybe once Degen gets injured again he may have a chance there.

Id rather we had Kelly as nack up right back hes better then Darby & way better then degen
Nando26

Postby Nando26 » Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:52 am

On Spearing he will never be good enough

Find it strange that some people our having second thoughts on Insua.........very strange
Nando26

Postby sixbuster » Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:52 am

nothing indicates a breakthrough for Spearing in the short term. Insua is class
Forever a red
sixbuster

Postby Ben Patrick » Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:59 am

Cant see what Jay has done wrong in preseason. I think he has been steady and hasnt looked out of place.

I think he is good enough to be a squad player and should be on the bench most games this season due to his versatility.

I dont think he would let us down at all if he was called upon.
Sabre looks like a big lezzer
Ben Patrick

Postby GYBS » Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:46 am

Wasnt the greatest last night and was outperformed by lucas quite easily .
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Highland Red » Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:41 pm

How many homegrown's have to be part of the CL squad again??

Alas, this is probably the only look in Jay may get. Which doesn't please me.
Highland Red

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion