JOE COLE - Official Thread

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Dundalk » Sat Jul 17, 2010 11:41 pm

Its looking like this might happen  :kungfu:
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Seeing Red » Sun Jul 18, 2010 1:34 am

Paddy power have stopped taking bets on Cole to Liverpool, and released a statement about it, that much is true, however I feel inclined to take it with a pinch of salt considering they stopped taking bets last year on Ribery to join us, as well as Henry at some point I think.

Although I remember reading a few weeks back an interview with Arsene Wenger where he said they didn't need any other midfielders, so if that is true, I guess its between us and the spuds.

I can see Cole being tempted by the chance to play with Stevie and Torres though, and if Hodgson offers him a more central midfield role (apparently what hes after) then maybe there could be something behind it. I'll believe it when I see him holding the shirt tho  :D

Isn't he injured all the time these days anyway?
Seeing Red

Postby bigmick » Sun Jul 18, 2010 1:47 am

If it does happen, it'll be a big boost for the squad. It'll also demonstrate to many of our fans who have severe doubts, that Roy Hodgson isn't a barrier to us signing good players. If we played Cole in the hole in behind Torres and moved Gerrard back into midfield, he might just be the missing link for us.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ruskiy playmaker » Sun Jul 18, 2010 5:07 am

He has been irrelevant for about 3 seasons now.  Really doubt that hes still got it, but I'd still welcome the signing.
[img]http://i42.tinypic.com/lkw42.gif[img]
ruskiy playmaker

Postby The Good Yank » Sun Jul 18, 2010 7:38 am

ruskiy playmaker wrote:He has been irrelevant for about 3 seasons now.  Really doubt that hes still got it, but I'd still welcome the signing.

I'd have to disagree with your assesment.  I think Joe Cole has plenty left to offer.  However a couple of posts back it was mentioned that he wants a Central Midfield role?  That to me doesn't work.  I can see Cole in an advanced role, deffo not a box to box role.
s@int - 13 December 2009

I won't celebrate Rafa going........ but I will be over the moon if Dalglish comes in. League within 2 years if he gets the job, AND YOU CAN QUOTE ME ON THAT.
The Good Yank
LFC Super Member

Postby maguskwt » Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:58 am

bigmick wrote:If it does happen, it'll be a big boost for the squad. It'll also demonstrate to many of our fans who have severe doubts, that Roy Hodgson isn't a barrier to us signing good players. If we played Cole in the hole in behind Torres and moved Gerrard back into midfield, he might just be the missing link for us.

even though it rhymes I don't like Cole in the hole....  :laugh:

There is something missing about him, he is skillful, good with the ball but he seems to be tactically unaware... his decision making is still wanting... I remember paolo di canio saying that cole needed to improve on his decision making. That was back when he was still in West ham. He has improved in Chelsea but not by that much. Explains why he hasn't been playing recently.

I agree he would be a boost to our squad though but I would still play him as a winger on the left. Besides we have both Gerrard and Aquilani in the middle and considering we rever to a 4-4-2 I would want to see something like this:

Kuyt/ Maxi    Gerrard    Aquilani    Cole

Jovanovic
                                 Torres
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby NANNY RED » Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:16 am

From the understanding i have it was our previous manager who tried and made inquiries about Cole stuck him on his list of wanted players , last season. and before he went,

I like him and if he ends up here i just hope he stays injury free
HE WHO BETRAYS WILL ALWAYS WALK ALONE
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:44 am

Undoubtedly the previous manager will have been aware Cole was coming up on a free, and like all the managers of the bigger clubs he'll have made noises. All of the other top seven teams with the exception of Aston Villa (who obviously couldn't afford him) have been linked with Cole, and I'm certain that we will have had the wheels in motion before the departure of the manager. This is particularly the case as it was apaprent Cole was going to be available a long time before the seasons end, and his agent would no doubt have contacted the clubs anyway. Unsurprisingly, the new manager likes the idea too and he has had his meeting with the player.

To actually get him though is a different matter entirely. Cole has openly said he needs a manager who "loves" him, who "trusts" him, and a manager who beleives in him and talks to him. Obviously all the clubs will offer big money, and at the level 10K either way doesn't make much odds, but it is the manager who can excite Cole about the project in hand who will get him.

Roy is at a disadvantage obviously because we finished 7th last season and aren't in the Champions League. Not only that, but he can hardly reassure the player that we are going to make lots of big signings. He's given it a shot though, and fingers crossed he comes through.

Some people may think that the previous manager could have convinced Cole on the "love" angle, the proverbial "arm around the shoulder" side of things and he would have signed for us under him, but that I guess we'll never know.
Last edited by bigmick on Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Igor Zidane » Sun Jul 18, 2010 11:10 am

The only concern i have with cole coming to us is his last injury .It was a career threating one and he's done well to come back from it . I'm just uneasy as too why Chelsea let him go knowing the extent of that injury . If he comes and stays fit i think he will bring  some much needed flair and attacking ability to the team .
UP THE PURPS !!!
https://www.colfc.co.uk/
Igor Zidane
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby NANNY RED » Sun Jul 18, 2010 11:22 am

i think even Cole would know that were we finished last season was a one off, I think Cole would know that our players never performed last season right through out the team, I think he would also know that our previous manager made a lot of mistakes last season, but on a down side if any of our top players leave i cant see him coming here , id like jim here ive said in the past , so ill wait and see if Christie makes him an offer , seeing as Roy only briefly spoke to him most prob at the world cup, as he said himself he has had no disscussions with him
HE WHO BETRAYS WILL ALWAYS WALK ALONE
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Sun Jul 18, 2010 11:25 am

Igor Zidane wrote:The only concern i have with cole coming to us is his last injury .It was a career threating one and he's done well to come back from it . I'm just uneasy as too why Chelsea let him go knowing the extent of that injury . If he comes and stays fit i think he will bring  some much needed flair and attacking ability to the team .

Yes a lot of even Chelsea's fans are absolutely baffled by their willingness to let him go mate. We've hundreds of em get in here (it's pretty much a Chelsea pub to be honest), and if you mention Coles name you know you're in for half an hour of whinging about the fact they're letting him go. I'd say he's just about the most popular player at Chelsea amongst the fans, they absolutely love him.

So why are they letting him go then?  I must admit I share your concerns about the injuries, and also about the fact that he wasn't able to force himself into what appeared to be a Joe Cole shaped hole in the England team this summer.

If he's fit, then it's an absolute no brainer. he's far better a player than Benayoun, and fairly obviously if he is near his best then we've got the best of that deal. That's the crux, fit then yes. Sick note, then no. I suppose it's down to the doctors and physios at the club. Are the ones who said Aquilani would be fit inside a couple of months still employed or not  ??? .
Last edited by bigmick on Sun Jul 18, 2010 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Sun Jul 18, 2010 11:30 am

NANNY RED wrote:i think even Cole would know that were we finished last season was a one off, I think Cole would know that our players never performed last season right through out the team, I think he would also know that our previous manager made a lot of mistakes last season, but on a down side if any of our top players leave i cant see him coming here , id like jim here ive said in the past , so ill wait and see if Christie makes him an offer , seeing as Roy only briefly spoke to him most prob at the world cup, as he said himself he has had no disscussions with him

I think Roy said he hasn't has discussions with Cole visa vis any contract and signing on fee. He did say he's met him in order to sell him the vision of what he's all about, but it now appears that all matters beyond that are now handled by the money men.

To be totaly honest, that's not as unusual as it might first seem. Our arrangements under the previous manager where it appeared he was in control of absolutely everything were far more unusual by modern standards.

Love him or loathe him (and no need to ask where most people sit) Purslow will know better than most how much we can afford to offer etc etc. Roy has made his play on the football side of things, it's now a question of whether Cole fancies it and whether the money men can make it work.
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Igor Zidane » Sun Jul 18, 2010 11:33 am

bigmick wrote:
Igor Zidane wrote:The only concern i have with cole coming to us is his last injury .It was a career threating one and he's done well to come back from it . I'm just uneasy as too why Chelsea let him go knowing the extent of that injury . If he comes and stays fit i think he will bring  some much needed flair and attacking ability to the team .

Yes a lot of even Chelsea's fans are absolutely baffled by their willingness to let him go mate. We've hundreds of em get in here (it's pretty much a Chelsea pub to be honest), and if you mention Coles name you know you're in for half an hour of whinging about the fact they're letting him go. I'd say he's just about the most popular player at Chelsea amongst the fans, they absolutely love him.

So why are they letting him go then?  I must admit I share your concerns about the injuries, and also about the fact that he wasn't able to force himself into what appeared to be a Joe Cole shaped hole in the England team this summer.

If he's fit, then it's an absolute no brainer. he's far better a player than Benayoun, and fairly obviously if he is near his best then we've got the best of that deal. That's the crux, fit then yes. Sick note, then no. I suppose it's down to the doctors and physios at the club. Are the ones who said Aquilani would be fit inside a couple of months still employed or not  ??? .

No mick , we have a whole new medical team now . There Aussies and supposedly :censored: hot .
UP THE PURPS !!!
Igor Zidane
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Igor Zidane » Sun Jul 18, 2010 11:35 am

Your right Mick about Purslow knowing how much we have to spend , but he does not know which players to buy or sell . Surley that should be down to ROY .
UP THE PURPS !!!
Igor Zidane
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Igor Zidane » Sun Jul 18, 2010 11:39 am

Quote from ROY yesterday Mick , regarding transfers.

"If you want to know about transfer targets, and how things are progressing, you'll have to ask (managing director) Christian Purslow because he's the man looking after those discussions, not me."

Deffo a swipe and deffo worrying , don't you think MICK.
UP THE PURPS !!!
Igor Zidane
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion