West Ham VS LIVERPOOL - Sun 6 April 2014 - KO 4pm

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby leeroy74 » Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:14 pm

we won and I continue my good run of form. I'll get the next match thread underway tmrw lads. top again...   next week decides it for us I reckon!
leeroy74
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:18 pm

It wasn't one of our better performances but no team goes through a whole season just breezing past opponents 3 and 4 nil.
That's why the league title is such a test because over 9 months you have to play in all weathers, on all types of surfaces (though to be fair that doesn't apply anymore, pitches are in pristine condition all season round these days), cope with injuries and suspensions, cope with decisions going for and against you and cope with days when you are not at your best.
That's why the title is regarded as the true test of a team, no team flukes the title.
Today was one of those days where we weren't at our best, it was one of those mini tests that a title campaign throws up at you and we came through it. I can guarantee you that every team that has ever won the title has at least had 4 or 5 of those games throughout the season, last year United had about 30 of them!
Fans have to accept that we aren't going to play like the Brazil side of 1970 every week, we might have to next Sunday though.
I'd argue this upcoming City game is a bigger game than either of the finals in Istanbul or Athens. To call it massive doesn't do the word or the game justice.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:30 pm

woof woof ! » Sun Apr 06, 2014 6:47 pm wrote:
RED BEERGOGGLES » Sun Apr 06, 2014 7:09 pm wrote:We dug in like true champions and  delivered a wholehearted gritty performance

:no   :no   :no

"Dug in like true champions"  ?

Not in my opinion mate.

For the first hour we didn't impose ourselves and looked 2nd best to a mid table team, hardly the performance of "True Champions". For me we lacked drive and authority, maybe we were more afraid of dropping points instead of having the confidence that we could collect all three ?

Don't get me wrong. I know we have the quality to perform like "True Champions". I just don't think we showed it today.

True champions dig in and get the result anyway they can ,and for me that was a champions performance mate ,watched United pull of those
backs against the wall displays for years and take all the plaudits for their graft rather than they're craft ......Today we done similarly with a
performance that showed our war faces ,obviously not pretty ,but it was as effective enough to garner all three points.

I don't particularly care how we carry ourselves over the finish line mate ,but today we showed a flip side to our game which was prevalent the
moment from Kick off .....We weren't going to surrender like we have done in similar seasons to a side best suited to Gaelic football.
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ethanr » Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:46 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:18 am wrote:It wasn't one of our better performances but no team goes through a whole season just breezing past opponents 3 and 4 nil.
That's why the league title is such a test because over 9 months you have to play in all weathers, on all types of surfaces (though to be fair that doesn't apply anymore, pitches are in pristine condition all season round these days), cope with injuries and suspensions, cope with decisions going for and against you and cope with days when you are not at your best.
That's why the title is regarded as the true test of a team, no team flukes the title.
Today was one of those days where we weren't at our best, it was one of those mini tests that a title campaign throws up at you and we came through it. I can guarantee you that every team that has ever won the title has at least had 4 or 5 of those games throughout the season, last year United had about 30 of them!
Fans have to accept that we aren't going to play like the Brazil side of 1970 every week, we might have to next Sunday though.
I'd argue this upcoming City game is a bigger game than either of the finals in Istanbul or Athens. To call it massive doesn't do the word or the game justice.

That's why I love how the Premier League is structured.  American sports are frustrating because it doesn't matter how well you've done during the season once the playoffs begin, it's all about who is hot at that period of time (although if the PL were structured like this we'd probably have a few more titles). This league makes every single game count, and the winner is the club that is best throughout the year instead of at the end.
DESPITE THE FACT I LIVE IN CALIFORNIA...
ethanr

Postby laza » Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:15 pm

Very happy and somewhat relieved to wake up to this result

Couldn't care whether it was graft or craft that got us 3 away points. We back on top of the summit and that's all that matters
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red till i die!! » Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:18 am

3 points is all that matters despite how ugly the game was. i would have happily taken a 1.0 without the 2 mistakes from the ref.
gerrard was fantastic along with skrtel and sakho who really dug in.
we will seriously need to up it for next week though  :nod
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby killerp » Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:42 am

woof woof ! » Sun Apr 06, 2014 5:02 pm wrote:
killerp » Sun Apr 06, 2014 5:53 pm wrote:Ahhh we'll done. The stuff champions are made of.

Not sure if I agree with that mate. Deffo not one of our best performances. ***** Poor Officials had a massive bearing on the result.

Not that I'm complaining about the result   :D  but if truth be told we weren't at out best today. (took two penalty's to win it)

I would describe that game as a footballing nightmare but somehow we got all the points. That's what I mean, we played rubbish football but we were able to overcome the odds at this late stage, all the pressure yet we didn't break, didn't surrender.

Have to admit though if we played like that every game, I think I'd be sick.
killerp

Postby aCe' » Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:28 am

Can't remember the last time I was this nervous before or during a Liverpool game. We got the win and thats all that matters. Bring on City !
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby devaney » Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:54 am

Ace - I was the same mate !! Bit worried that my poor old body won't last the City game !! THIS IS TAKING YEARS OFF ME  :laugh:
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby devaney » Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:57 am

Killerp yer daft bugg.er (term of endearment  :laugh: ) we did not play rubbish football. Suarez nearly scored a couple of worldies and West Ham had one shot on goal. Gerrard was fantastic and did a brilliant job as captain. Give some credit to West Ham mate they were downright fkg tricky.
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:38 am

Next week will be different, we'll be playing a team that has something riding on the result themselves, West Ham had nothing to lose there, only we did and it allowed them to play with a lot of freedom.
Every time we attacked they never got nervous or went into panic stations because the result essentially meant nothing to them, it's like playing poker and one man puts nothing in the ante and the other puts everything he owns, one fella will be relaxed and the other will be sweating bullets, yesterday we were the ones sweating bullets.
Next week though City will be in the same position as us, their house keys and car keys will be on the table too, every time we launch an attack their players and fans will get that ulcer inducing feeling in the pit of their stomachs that we've been enduring, In fact given the money they have spent and their favourites tag they'll be even more nervous than us (if that's humanly possible!)
West Ham have basically taken over Stoke's mantle as the quintessential ale house side of the division and in the prem era we have struggled to cope with those teams, especially away from home, I think it's a measure of how far we've come under Rodgers that we are disappointed that we didn't put 3 or 4 past them, it wasn't so long ago that we hadn't won away at Stoke in a decade.
That game yesterday always looked like a potential banana skin (especially with the Carroll factor) and it's behind us now, we move on to next week still in the fight.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby killerp » Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:39 am

devaney » Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:57 am wrote:Killerp yer daft bugg.er (term of endearment  :laugh: ) we did not play rubbish football. Suarez nearly scored a couple of worldies and West Ham had one shot on goal. Gerrard was fantastic and did a brilliant job as captain. Give some credit to West Ham mate they were downright fkg tricky.

The game was rubbish from the SAS side of things. Only one "S" was effective  :eyebrow

Yes Westham made it really difficult for us, as did the ref.
killerp

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:54 am

SING IT LOUD ,BECAUSE OUR TRAVELLING ARMY  BELIEVE IT.

RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - Games