West Ham V Liverpool 26th April @19.45

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby red till i die!! » Wed Apr 26, 2023 9:53 pm

A wee bit ugly but a good away win all the same. Diaz brings some energy and intensity to the game when he's on. Hoping he can form a good understanding with Nunez and help him score. Great strike from Gakpo and good header from Matip.

Happy with that heading into Spurs who are a shambles at the minute. Like how the fook do you sack your interim manager  :laugh:
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby redshade » Wed Apr 26, 2023 11:26 pm

Got the win which was the main things, played decently. IF only we had a few more points on the table, would've made the UCL fight more intriguing. Anyhow we keep going 3 wins on the bounce and currently look favourite for 5th.

BTW Arsenal have bottled it haven't they, we are the only ones who can fight with City till the end. Last 4 games for them have been atrocious, spanked 4-1 against City today, City will win it AGAIN.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu Apr 27, 2023 8:00 am

Got a bit lucky with the pen imo, Thiago is a class act  but he can be a bit erratic defensively particularly when he finds himself in our own box. Good win all the same, West Ham were one of the form sides.
Forests win yesterday piles the pressure on Everton to do something tonight, let’s hope they can turn Newcastle over.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby kazza » Thu Apr 27, 2023 8:09 am

I can’t see how City winning every year is good for the PL (for the brand)  especially as they have been breaking all sorts of fair play rules. I feel like they will throw the book at them for their transgressions. The PL is supposed to be a competitive league. It is disheartening to think that every year they spend what they want, hide it from the books, buy the best players, get all sorts of favorable referee “mistakes”, get the best lawyers to defend them from sanctions and win the league every year.

Ridiculous actually
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red till i die!! » Thu Apr 27, 2023 11:21 am

kazza wrote:I can’t see how City winning every year is good for the PL (for the brand)  especially as they have been breaking all sorts of fair play rules. I feel like they will throw the book at them for their transgressions. The PL is supposed to be a competitive league. It is disheartening to think that every year they spend what they want, hide it from the books, buy the best players, get all sorts of favorable referee “mistakes”, get the best lawyers to defend them from sanctions and win the league every year.

Ridiculous actually

They are a good side Kazza and have a top manager so will always be thereabouts. It's the rules that is the problem and the enforcement of them. Those accounts they submit are obviously rubbish so who else in that league is getting away with similar. I would imagine there is plenty of ways of massaging the accounts.

I found this a good read. https://sabr.org/journal/article/the-ro ... to-losses/

I know it's not football and in a different country but this is how these businesses operate.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu Apr 27, 2023 12:03 pm

Didn’t City supposedly have a bigger turnover than the likes of Real Madrid, Barcelona and United last year? Even though those clubs have global fan bases that run into the tens if not hundreds of millions whilst City struggle to sell out the Etihad? Sounds legit...
The premier league are a joke, the only reason they are threatening to do something now is because they are trying to head off the idea of an independent regulator.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby red till i die!! » Thu Apr 27, 2023 2:07 pm

Yeah City had a turnover of 620 mil which was top and we are in 3rd. Only 25mil separating the 2 clubs.  We did well and turned a good profit before we didn't.  All these clubs Yakka have the best of financial and legal people at their disposal. We are no different.

I think City have come a long way in the last 10+ years. They have established a fan base with a big reach globally. I think the majority of that fanbase are also young so in another 10 years they will fill that stadium. Filling the stadiums will be a challenge going forward for all clubs due to the cost of living crisis imo. It might just take a bit longer to hit us but it will if things keep going like they are.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby Eagle » Thu Apr 27, 2023 2:34 pm

Apparently PSG and Man City are amongst the biggest brands in football that companies want to partner with  :D

Commercial revenue:

PSG - 383m euros
Bayern 378m euros
Man City - 373m euros
Real Madrid - 318m euros
Man Utd - 309m euros
Barcelona - 284m euros
Liverpool - 275m euros
Tottenham - 215m euros
Chelsea - 209m euros
Juventus - 194m euros

Although mystery surrounds some of the organisations paying City millions and millions every year.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... y-start-up

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football ... r-28161569
Eagle

Postby woof woof ! » Thu Apr 27, 2023 4:26 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu Apr 27, 2023 8:00 am wrote:Got a bit lucky with the pen imo,

:nod  Yeah, if that had been a West Ham player doing that with us needing an equaliser I think we'd all be going nuts that it was denied. Not saying it should have been given but agree we got lucky that it wasn't.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby kazza » Thu Apr 27, 2023 7:14 pm

red till i die!! » Thu Apr 27, 2023 10:21 am wrote:
kazza wrote:I can’t see how City winning every year is good for the PL (for the brand)  especially as they have been breaking all sorts of fair play rules. I feel like they will throw the book at them for their transgressions. The PL is supposed to be a competitive league. It is disheartening to think that every year they spend what they want, hide it from the books, buy the best players, get all sorts of favorable referee “mistakes”, get the best lawyers to defend them from sanctions and win the league every year.

Ridiculous actually

They are a good side Kazza and have a top manager so will always be thereabouts. It's the rules that is the problem and the enforcement of them. Those accounts they submit are obviously rubbish so who else in that league is getting away with similar. I would imagine there is plenty of ways of massaging the accounts.

I found this a good read. https://sabr.org/journal/article/the-ro ... to-losses/

I know it's not football and in a different country but this is how these businesses operate.

They are a good side, play beautiful football and are full of super talented players.

The problem for me is how they got the side. It is not fair to me that they are owned by a ruler that can use his country’s wealth and buy anyone he wants. Finds the best manager and pays him more than anyone else, finds the best player and pays him more than anyone else, gets the best ceo and pays him more than anyone else and then when he falls foul of laws that were brought about to add sporting fairness to the game he hires the best lawyers to escape sanction. It’s not fair because it is not the club doing that it is an individual that is not even spending his own money. Add to this all the strange refereeing decisions that have gone their way and it becomes unfair, overkill….to me anyway.

It has no longer become about sport and fair play, it has become all about money. They took the Chelsea model and super sized it. FFP are supposed to even the playing field and stop clubs that are institutions, that have been in existence for 100 years and represent a whole region from falling away because they lived beyond their means. I have no problem with them being a good team, I just think they cheat institutionally.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Reg » Thu Apr 27, 2023 7:20 pm

I'm not sure it is about money, I think it's about prestige. Bahrain got an F1 Grand Prix, 10 years later they've all got one.
Qatar bought City, now they all want a top club. They're destroying traditional working man's game by turning into a fairground attraction.
It used to be racehorses, now it's football.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby devaney » Thu Apr 27, 2023 8:31 pm

Excellent result. Really enjoyed the match. Great intensity. Once again our attack looked a lot more impressive given Trent’s new position. TO BE ULTRA CRITICAL VVD SHOULD HAVE DONE MORE TO STOP WEST HAM SCORING !! Trent, Diaz, Matip and Gakpo all impressed.

It pains me a lot to say this but whilst City have spent close on a £billion net on players their fecking horrible neighbours have spent even more and just look at what they have achieved !! By comparison we have spent sod all and have been incredibly unlucky not to have 3 more league titles to our name. Personally, I always expected those useless cockney cants to fall apart. City will now go on and win the league unchallenged unfortunately.
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby redshade » Fri Apr 28, 2023 3:39 am

League is definitely Man City, didn't expect Arsenal to collapse this bad, thought it would go to the last game or so.  I also think they will finally win the UCL, really hope I'm wrong but treble will go to City this season. I miss the excitement of last season when we were hunting for trophies, going to also miss the UCL nights.

Haaland is bombarding the league as expected, he will be the difference in the UCL this time round. I despise Real Madrid and don't want City to win so one of the Milan sides would be nice. However, whoever wins from Real/City will win the competition. Still can't believe how we feked up last years final???!!!!!! Real fekin Madrid!
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby Reg » Fri Apr 28, 2023 10:03 am

Today's facts to make you smile:
Frank Lampard's last 14 matches as a manager:
0 wins
1 draw
13 losses
7 goals scored
32 goals conceded

Richarlson has played 22 times this season for Spurs and not scored! Naby Keita Mk11.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kazza » Fri Apr 28, 2023 2:12 pm

Reg » Fri Apr 28, 2023 9:03 am wrote:Today's facts to make you smile:
Frank Lampard's last 14 matches as a manager:
0 wins
1 draw
13 losses
7 goals scored
32 goals conceded

Pundit material
kazza