TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR VS LIVERPOOL - August 16th, 16:00 ko (day1)

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby crazyhorse » Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:37 pm

The squad in itself is not too different that last season. We have Johnson but lost Alonso... we all know that.

I really do not think that we are are so much worse because Xabi is no longer in the midfield. Lucas is no Alonso, but his performance yesterday was really no worse than anyone elses. It was an off day for the whole team, Babel especially (no surprise there).

Now there is an opportunity to take some positives out of this. We have got that first defeat over and done with. If we are to mount a challenge we know that we cant affors to lose too many more. This will spur the players on and there will be a reaction in the next game.
THIS IS ANFIELD
crazyhorse
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JoeTerp » Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:43 pm

pleasantly surprised by the optimisim there #9
JoeTerp

Postby Number 9 » Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:50 pm

JoeTerp wrote:pleasantly surprised by the optimisim there #9

You go to the bookies and stick as much as ya want on Arsenal,UTD and Chelsea to take 9 points between them from white heart lane Joe!

You wont win anything mate,I'll tell you that now!Spurs are a good side and getting better too

Its not the end of the world,nowhere near it.FFS some of the reaction on here has been pathetic.

Onwards and upwards...only Stoke next,our record against them is superb! :laugh:

We'll tank them! :nod
Number 9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Tim LFC » Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:56 pm

We drew to stoke though. :D

If i see no improvement against Stoke then the Yanks better start digging into there pockets as we need better players.
Tim LFC

Postby Number 9 » Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:00 pm

Tim LFC wrote:We drew to stoke though. :D

If i see no improvement against Stoke then the Yanks better start digging into there pockets as we need better players.

Twas sarcasm mate! :D
Number 9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JoeTerp » Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:09 pm

Number 9 wrote:
JoeTerp wrote:pleasantly surprised by the optimisim there #9

You go to the bookies and stick as much as ya want on Arsenal,UTD and Chelsea to take 9 points between them from white heart lane Joe!

You wont win anything mate,I'll tell you that now!Spurs are a good side and getting better too

Its not the end of the world,nowhere near it.FFS some of the reaction on here has been pathetic.

Onwards and upwards...only Stoke next,our record against them is superb! :laugh:

We'll tank them! :nod

I agree.

I actually had my "we are actually ahead of our challengers because we got through the more difficult tie" post ready to go, until we fecked up and lost.  :(
JoeTerp

Postby Homebooby » Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:15 pm

Just watched the highlights. Everyone looked out of sorts, off the pace, tired and jaded....not what you would expect for the first game of the season. It's clear none of us recognised them from the team that ended last season so on fire and if they carry on like that, we'll have trouble staying in the top half of the table, let alone the top 4.

It's gutting that we start that way, especially after all the anticipation, but you could have put your house on it too. Early days and the next few games will show what the real story is....I hope we have a lot more to offer.... Out of the blocks and a couple of wins will help us all feel a lot better.
Homebooby

Postby mkingdom » Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:16 pm

We looked unfit, rusty and without ideas.  We looked like a team of strangers.

It is very predictable to say we missed Alonso...but we missed Alonso.  Just as we did last season when he didn't play.  Lucas and Masch are just too similar...they break up play but can't create going forward.

Torres had a shocker, a symptom of his Concacaff b0ll0ocks and his later return to training, but form is temporary and all that.

My biggest worry was our bench yesterday.  When it isn't working up front we have zero options to change a game.  Yossi aside (who should start in my view) we have nothing of any class or note to bring on.

I really hope Aquilani is class, as we need something else in midfield, and Rafa should today be beating down the Yanks door to get whatever cash he needs to strengthen up front.  We are desperate for some creativity up front.

A dreadful start, and a loss so early really puts the pressure on a side that look so out of sorts.

We're playing catch up already, but luckily with a long, long way to go.

I'm worried, and we need a real statement of intent in the next game, with the likes of Carra, Gerrard and Torres showing their class and experience.
mkingdom

Postby Dundalk » Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:18 pm

Twas in fairness :D
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby mkingdom » Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:19 pm

Double post
mkingdom

Postby LFC2007 » Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:55 pm

How we could do with a player of Ledley King's calibre. He was outstanding in every aspect; heading, reading of the game, interceptions and blocks, tackling, body strength etc.. Brilliant player.

On a more general note, it amazes me that some people question the importance of hard-work in the game. It played a particularly important role in this one. Spurs' hardwork went a hell of a way in nullifying us as an attacking threat. Throughout the side they worked their bo'llocks off; even Modric and Lennon played a significant role in pinning back Kuyt and Babel back and denying them time and space to operate as the outlets we so desperately needed. It worked to similar effect in denying Johnson and Insua (enough) time and space to affect the game, which subsequently limited their attacking input mainly to crosses from distance - which Spurs were happy lap up all day - their aerial strength is probably their main strength as a defensive unit. We've seen this almost desperate tactic before - against Stoke at home last season for example - so why we kept lumping it in there I couldn't really understand. You're gonna try the odd cross, but as a general rule we needed more penetration, and that had to come through incisive passing and movement. Benayoun showed something like what would've been required to break them down, but other than his time-limited contribution, we struggled desperately with ideas when we were in search of a second. Especially late on.
LFC2007

Postby JoeTerp » Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:59 pm

Isn't King a worse sicknote than Agger and SKrtel combined?

Did say earlier that he was impressive though
JoeTerp

Postby LFC2007 » Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:02 pm

Yes he is mate. Knee problems IIRC. He doesn't train like a typical pro does; prior to this game  I don't think he even had a full training session, but such is his quality he's still able to put in outstanding performances.
LFC2007

Postby GYBS » Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:31 pm

King is a modern day McGrath
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Fowler_E7 » Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:35 pm

GYBS wrote:King is a modern day McGrath

worse than that, he only trains with the football once a week! i would be fumin if i was competing for a place with him in the starting line up
Fowler_E7
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - Games