Tottenham Hotspur v Liverpool -- Champions League Final 1/Ju

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon May 27, 2019 10:59 am

This is the longest gap I can ever remember between the last game of the season and the final. Heck, in the old days the European Cup final used to held on the Wednesday immediately after the FA Cup final.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Eagle » Mon May 27, 2019 1:01 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon May 27, 2019 9:59 am wrote:This is the longest gap I can ever remember between the last game of the season and the final. Heck, in the old days the European Cup final used to held on the Wednesday immediately after the FA Cup final.

Lol I know how you feel. It's been painful. I don't think either manager would want a 3 week gap either. I wonder how much it may affect the rhythm of the players and ultimately the match.
Eagle

Postby kazza » Mon May 27, 2019 1:25 pm

We were on a roll, I think the break helps them more
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon May 27, 2019 2:03 pm

At least Fatigue shouldn't be an issue this time around, I suppose that's one good thing about this 3 week break. We were deffo out on our feet against Seville.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon May 27, 2019 2:12 pm

kazza » Mon May 27, 2019 12:25 pm wrote:We were on a roll, I think the break helps them more

Possibly.
Maybe our experience of being in the final last year will help us though, hopefully Spurs's players will have been like cats on a hot tin roof for the entire 3 weeks and turn up on the night mentally drained before a ball is even kicked.
This is our 3rd big European final in as many seasons, our players must be getting used to the build up' to these big games by now.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby kazza » Mon May 27, 2019 4:37 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon May 27, 2019 1:12 pm wrote:
kazza » Mon May 27, 2019 12:25 pm wrote:We were on a roll, I think the break helps them more

Possibly.
Maybe our experience of being in the final last year will help us though, hopefully Spurs's players will have been like cats on a hot tin roof for the entire 3 weeks and turn up on the night mentally drained before a ball is even kicked.
This is our 3rd big European final in as many seasons, our players must be getting used to the build up' to these big games by now.

I think you are right, they will not let this get away!
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Mon May 27, 2019 5:48 pm

Not comfortable with us being touted as outright favourites.

Understand why our form and previous experience in games like this has many people assuming/predicting it'll be a win for us.

Let's not get complacent, Spurs are no Mugs.

Hopefully the occasion may get the better of them and we'll lift the trophy, but I'm not expecting it to be a walkover.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon May 27, 2019 5:55 pm

Pressure is definitely going to be a big factor in this game so whoever can handle it the best will have a real advantage.
Losing a CL final is bad enough at the best of times but losing one to a domestic rival will be a real sickener, whoever loses will never hear the last of it.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Franky000 » Mon May 27, 2019 11:13 pm

Nerves are starting to creep in now with 5 days to go, but I think we’ll win this, just because the boys will be so adamant to make amends for last year. I’m predicting a high scoreline - 4-2. Nice to see Harry Kane get given 3 full weeks to get back to full fitness as well....not.
Franky000

Postby Reg » Tue May 28, 2019 7:52 am

On the subject of reverse psychology... my concern is that on occasion Mo and Bobby have not turned up for the big games.

The fact we're playing Spurs might psychologically be easier for them to mentalise as a league game rather than CL final. The lads need to be mentally determined to win this game... there're two parts, the physical football and the hunger to win at any price. We've lacked in the latter department and senior team members need to instill confidence and determination into the younger lads. Step up Mo, step up Bobby.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Red Rum » Tue May 28, 2019 3:16 pm

Strange it being on the 1st of June and not end of May. Feels weird.

By all accounts, Harry Kane is fit to play, but will he be match fit??
Not played since April 9.

We'll probably be nervous, but so will spurs, they are in unchartered territory too. I feel we will need to be at our mesmerising best to beat them though, based on our Premier league encounters they are normally tight affairs.

I'm expecting us to be determined, based on last Sean's fiasco and missing out on the league title.

However as someone mentioned, sometimes Salah doesn't turn up in big matches, or a few others.

No excuses for losing this final.
Red Rum
LFC Advanced Member

Postby Santa » Tue May 28, 2019 5:08 pm

Reg » Tue May 28, 2019 6:52 am wrote:On the subject of reverse psychology... my concern is that on occasion Mo and Bobby have not turned up for the big games.

I have a feeling that Mo will have a blinder to put the Kiev's heartache behind him...to a few of them winning the CL is more important on their CV than the PL. Whatever that is, we can't afford to lose yet another final and I hoped a half fit Kane will start for Spurs
Never try to teach a pig to sing...

...it only waste your time, and annoys the pig
Santa
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Santa » Tue May 28, 2019 5:13 pm

Reg » Fri May 24, 2019 2:00 pm wrote:Realistically the root of the issue is they don't hold it in a big enough stadium. Why Athletico? Why not Barca with 100,000 capacity, or the Bernabeu at 81,000? National stadiums only guys...... NONE of the fans want or prefer to play at the Atheltico stadium so why....?

Even if it's held in a bigger stadium, I doubt the allotment will be that much higher for each clubs. UEFA prefers to satisfy their big sponsors and corporate suites than us mere fans. It's all money now and FIFA and UEFA are milking them big time  :veryangry
Never try to teach a pig to sing...

...it only waste your time, and annoys the pig
Santa
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Tue May 28, 2019 6:26 pm

Meanwhile, (for those that haven't seen it)

Our managers press conference on the upcoming final

:buttrock

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby Red Rum » Tue May 28, 2019 9:25 pm

This game is the Acid test for klopps reign, two outcomes...

1. Win, and this will have been a great season trumping Manchester Citys achievements winning the trophy they wanted most.

2. Lose, and this season has been a disaster, losing four finals under this manager.

Our season hinges all on this game...

That's what I think anyhow.
Red Rum
LFC Advanced Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - Games