Man City vs Liverpool Sat 9th Sept 12:30

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby bunglemark2 » Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:47 pm

Absolutely agree that conceding 5 goals even with ten men is just pathetic.
http://s2.tinypic.com/30ldif7_th.jpg
See yooo, Judas. Yoo're gettin' on mah titz !
bunglemark2

Postby Doeboy » Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:58 pm

I actually think moving Can back into defence as part of a 3 caused confusion and made things worse. Your asking a midfielder to do a job in defence against a team like City with the likes of Aguero,Jesus and Sane. Looking back, a poor decision and unsettled us even more at the back imo
Doeboy

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:06 pm

We had 10 men on the pitch but TAA and Klavan were all over the place defensively and Mingolet wasn't having a good game either. In reality we had about 7 or 8 players out there.
It was a bad afternoon, we just need to write it off and take what lessons we can from it.
The only positive for me was that when it was 11 v 11 we looked the better side, and that was with a questionable starting XI.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby parchpea » Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:12 pm

I was on a flight back from holiday during KO so landed at Manchester to see a 5-0 reverse, honestly Liverpool in my lifetime almost never get a reverse like this, red card or not.

Its not acceptable and Klopp is the manager not a puppet, his reputation is as strong minded and this is his team.

No individual is bigger or better than our club and Klopp is accountable like any other, Dalglish fell on his sword, we cant lose 5-0, its early but dont buy into club propaganda or social media minions, its dogshyte to lose 5-0 and Klopps men need to turn it round, fast.
parchpea
LFC Super Member

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:15 pm

Seriously naive in attempting to still go toe to toe with City after the sending off,would have made more sense if we had closed down the gaps in the middle which were so easily exposed and often without the need for ruthless efficiency .Its hard to know where to start as so many of Cities moves could have been prevented by pushing up on De Bruyne and closing down the space he was garnered to hurt us,just so many through balls that were nothing exceptional and yet led to goals. I'm not going to start pointing the finger at individual performances as so many players were seriously below the level you need to challenge teams like City,especially in their own backyard.

The manager did make some strange decisions with the line up not least the inclusion of Klavan over Lovren, but even if he had started with the team we all wanted to see take to that field we would have struggled with so many players playing so badly.

We simply never played as a team and City unfortunately did and albeit from Moreno and Firmino who at least showed some tenacity there was a collective of players who looked shadows of the players we've seen against the Goonerz and Hoffenheim,don't you just love the International break  :angry:         

A game to move on from....... and quickly !
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:32 pm

RED BEERGOGGLES » Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:15 pm wrote:Seriously naive in attempting to still go toe to toe with City after the sending off,would have made more sense if we had closed down the gaps in the middle which were so easily exposed and often without the need for ruthless efficiency .Its hard to know where to start as so many of Cities moves could have been prevented by pushing up on De Bruyne and closing down the space he was garnered to hurt us,just so many through balls that were nothing exceptional and yet led to goals. I'm not going to start pointing the finger at individual performances as so many players were seriously below the level you need to challenge teams like City,especially in their own backyard.

The manager did make some strange decisions with the line up not least the inclusion of Klavan over Lovren, but even if he had started with the team we all wanted to see take to that field we would have struggled with so many players playing so badly.

We simply never played as a team and City unfortunately did and albeit from Moreno and Firmino who at least showed some tenacity there was a collective of players who looked shadows of the players we've seen against the Goonerz and Hoffenheim,don't you just love the International break  :angry:         

Nice to see someone giving Moreno his props, as you say mate he was one of the few who could take any credit from the game.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:41 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:32 pm wrote:
RED BEERGOGGLES » Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:15 pm wrote:Seriously naive in attempting to still go toe to toe with City after the sending off,would have made more sense if we had closed down the gaps in the middle which were so easily exposed and often without the need for ruthless efficiency .Its hard to know where to start as so many of Cities moves could have been prevented by pushing up on De Bruyne and closing down the space he was garnered to hurt us,just so many through balls that were nothing exceptional and yet led to goals. I'm not going to start pointing the finger at individual performances as so many players were seriously below the level you need to challenge teams like City,especially in their own backyard.

Nice to see someone giving Moreno his props, as you say mate he was one of the few who could take any credit from the game.

The most annoying aspect of the result is that City wont have an easier game all season mate,our decision making was abysmal both at the back and right across that middle and as soon as Mane was sent off we simply capitulated and heads dropped all over the pitch and that's so unlike us under Klopp.

Lets hope this thrashing proves to be the catalyst for us to show the determination and application needed to win games,I'm hoping it will have the same effect as when United were tonked 5-0 against Southampton .....Please God let it have a similar effect.
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Doeboy » Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:48 pm

Watching motd and Shearer is spot on. Basically we weren't pressing/closing down in the 2nd half while at the same time persisting with a high defensive line. That is pretty much suicidal and we are lucky it was only 5 imo.
Doeboy

Postby bunglemark2 » Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:39 pm

Brave man. I couldn't bring myself to watch it. Still dumbfounded and in shock. Capitulation is the word for it. Bollockless is another. Inept team management are three others.
http://s2.tinypic.com/30ldif7_th.jpg
See yooo, Judas. Yoo're gettin' on mah titz !
bunglemark2

Postby Doeboy » Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:59 pm

bunglemark2 » Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:39 pm wrote:Brave man. I couldn't bring myself to watch it. Still dumbfounded and in shock. Capitulation is the word for it. Bollockless is another. Inept team management are three others.

Tactics/setup in the second half were shockingly naive and pure garbage imo. If you want to persist with a high line, you need to make you are pressing/closing down properly in front of it. Being a man down, that is damn near impossible to do. We should be counting our lucky stars it was only 5. City midfielders with not enough pressure on them facing up with acres of space in behind our defence for the likes of Aguero, Sane etc to exploit.

Either Klopp was really brave or plain naive. Like a boxer getting up after a knock down and trying to go toe to toe straight away rather than getting up and moving around giving himself time to recuperate.
Doeboy

Postby eds » Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:57 am

Disgraceful performance by Klopp.

Can't fault the players in this one. Arnold is too inexperienced, Klavan is just pure sh*ite and Can was having a really good game until he was dropped back as 3rd CB.

We haven't seen this capitulation since Rodger's last few games. And if we see this again during the season, real questions need to be asked of Klopp.

Worryingly we all saw it coming after the red card.

Not sure what to think as we have sounded like a broken record for the last decade.

SORT THAT F**KI*G DEFENCE OUT

:no
"LIVERPOOL: 6 European Cups, 19 Domestic Titles, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 9 League Cups and 4 European Super Cups and 1 Club World Championship

All other English clubs pale into insignificance!"
eds

Postby maguskwt » Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:50 am

Ok... I've calmed down abit and will try to look at this from the bright side...

5-0 loss or not, out of all the games in the season, this fixture is one of very few that we won't be too bothered about dropping points. So I guess this 5-0 thrashing serves a purpose of of a kick up the backside to warn us of our pathetic defending.

Hopefully Klopp and his team learn from this...
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kazza » Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:39 am

Doeboy » Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:01 pm wrote:City are always capable of tearing you apart when you are down to 10. We played 53 mins (+ injury time) with 10 men so just over one half.

The concern for me is we didn't seem to have a leader or characters out there who could roll their sleeves up and say although we are down to 10 men, we are not going to get hammered here. There was a kind of inevitability to it all sadly.

Our brilliant attack covers up so many inadequacies at the other end. When we went to 10, I really don't what our plan was? In that situation you want to keep a solid shape and have a pacey option on up top. I know Salah didnt have a great game today, but I really would have been inclined to keep him on and leave him up top while keeping a solid shape behind him. Salah wasted a couple of really good opportunities however he was giving Otamendi a lot of trouble and you could see him being sent off for them. Was he taken off because of injury? Without Mane, he was the only real pacey option we had.

Just didn't seem as though we had any real plan after going down to 10. Moved Can into a back 3 but that move didn't work

Totally agree, especially about no leaders. I was disappointed with Hendo actually as we needed a leader to do something and he became more average when we needed him. Easy to captain a team that is grooving but when things go against you is when you see real leadership. I saw a lot of wasteful passes from him when we were down not quality.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kazza » Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:57 am

Most has been said already but I agree that we were easily in that game until a bad bit of luck. Mane was entitled to go for that ball and their goalie was way out of his box, having said that though as unlucky as that was in terms of game changing decisions from the ref we should have parked the bus like Maureen would have done. That was the first match since Klopp came that we were outplayed as we have lost a fair few but we always dominated play, yesterday we got rolled over. We went a man down against the one team you cannot do that with and we paid for it. People will always look at the score but it was not as simple as a 5-0 thrashing since our tactics made them better.

Move on and I expect a reaction against Sevilla!
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:36 am

People are making too much of the score line imo, City are the type of team that can rip anyone to shreds 11 v 11 so when they are at home and the opposition are down to 10 men for two thirds of the game then there's a good chance things are going to get messy.
People are saying a Mourinho team wouldn't have conceded 5, well a Mourinho team conceded 2 the very same afternoon against an average Stoke side and United didn't have to play for an hour with 10 men.
The last time United found themselves in a similar position to us against City was back in 2011 when Johnny Evans got sent off early in the second half, until the sending off United were only 1 down but by the time the final whistle sounded it was 6-1 and that was at Old Trafford when Ferguson was in charge as well.
Yes maybe we could have defended a bit better, 2 of the goals came from crosses from TAA's flank and maybe he could have done more to stop the supply at source, maybe Milner could have done more to get out to Sane when he scored from distance but you know what, when you are a man down no matter how well you pick up someone is always going to be in the clear, you can have 10 Baresi's out there but the opposition are always going to have someone in acres of space.
Some teams don't know how to make best use of that extra space and that extra man, unfortunately for us the likes of DeBruyne, Gabriel Jesus, Aguero, David Silva etc do.
11 v 11 we were more than a match for them, one decision changed the game.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - Games