Manchester united v LIVERPOOL

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:27 pm

i suppose another thing to consider is that this is our first visit to old trafford since that game last february when the proverbial hit the fan.
we had the `handshake that didnt happen` incident, a fracas in the tunnel at half time, evra dancing in luis face after the final whistle, alex ferguson going on live television declaring to the nation that he wants luis suarez thrown out of the game in this country and kenny dalglish and a sky reporter getting embroiled in a heated argument live on air too.
then of course hours after the game we got the grovelling apologies from kenny and luis.
amid all that we put in one of the worst performances i`ve ever seen out of a liverpool side at old trafford, half the team were literally walking around staring at their boots but i think the players just wanted that particular game over and done with, they had been on the wrong end of a continuous media barrage since the wigan game the previous december and i think the players were shell shocked by that point.
it`s easy to forget now but presidents, prime minsters, relgious leaders and even civil rights activists from the 60`s all had their say on the matter, it was probably the biggest PR disaster in the history of sport in this country and our players were right in the eye of the storm so it`s no surprise that we played sh.1te on the day.
i dont think we can play as bad as that again.
we`ve got a new manager, a new philosophy and even a new striker in danny sturridge and if we play anywhere near as well as we did when we met them at anfield earlier on in the season i think we`ll win this one and put a big dent in their hopes of winning a 20th league title.
if we dont stop them winning a 20th title who will? it`s time rodgers and the players stepped up to the plate.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby supersub » Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:20 pm

With Howard Webb on as Manu's 12th man be sure to perm any 2 from 3 and do the treble ;

Suarez to be denied penalty by Webb
Any LFC player to be sent off
Manu get penalty
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW SHINING AT THE END OF EVERY DAY.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW AND TOMORROW IS JUST A DREAM AWAY.
supersub
Forum Moderator

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:07 pm

Choices, choices...

The ambitious line up

Reina

Johnson       Skrtel     Agger      Wisdom

Lucas       Gerrard
Sterling                                   Downing
                         Suarez

Sturridge
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ethanr » Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:20 pm

SouthCoastShankly » Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:07 am wrote:Choices, choices...

The ambitious line up

Reina

Lucas       Gerrard
                         Suarez

Sturridge

From listening to Rodgers talk about bringing Sturridge in and how it will affect Suarez, this is somewhat the idea I get the lineup will be, but with Wisdom and Johnson switched.
DESPITE THE FACT I LIVE IN CALIFORNIA...
ethanr

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:50 pm

ethanr » Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:20 pm wrote:
SouthCoastShankly » Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:07 am wrote:Choices, choices...

The ambitious line up

Reina

Lucas       Gerrard
                         Suarez

Sturridge

From listening to Rodgers talk about bringing Sturridge in and how it will affect Suarez, this is somewhat the idea I get the lineup will be, but with Wisdom and Johnson switched.

Rodgers has not been playing Allen as much recently and has commented on the number of games he has played so far in comparison to his previous season with Swansea. I suspect Rodgers is protecting Allen from over-playing him and risking burnout or injury. Lately Gerrard has been more effective sitting deep.

Man Utd are leaking goals, especially early on in the game. Playing both Suarez and Sturridge would test that vulnerability early on. That said we have hardly been watertight when playing away from home, Skrtel and Agger will have to be uber-sharp to keep Van Persie out.
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ethanr » Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:22 pm

Pretty much sums it up.  Although I wouldn't be at all surprised if Sturridge doesn't start.  Rodgers and him have both admitted he's not match-fit, so coming in as a sub may be more realistic, but we'll see.
ethanr

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:56 pm

SouthCoastShankly » Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:07 pm wrote:Choices, choices...

The ambitious line up

Reina

Lucas       Gerrard
                         Suarez

Sturridge

i`d be surprised if he went with that line up against united, especially at old trafford.
it would be asking a hell of lot of lucas, there wouldnt be much defensive cover around him in midfield because gerrard looks great when we are on top and he`s orchestrating things and pulling strings from the quarterback position but whenever we are under the cosh and he has to put a shift in tracking runners and making 40 and 50 yard sprints to cover the space left by marauding fullbacks he starts to age noticably.
infact in those types of games he ends up doing more walking than running in the last 20 minutes.
in front of lucas luis isnt going to be overly concerned with tracking back either.
i think there will deffo be another midfielder in there in the attacking CM role, wether that turns out to be hendo, allen or even shelvey i`m not sure.
i could see us using that line up you`ve posted but i`d be surprised if we went with it at old trafford.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:04 am

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:56 pm wrote:
SouthCoastShankly » Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:07 pm wrote:Choices, choices...

The ambitious line up

Reina

Lucas       Gerrard
                         Suarez

Sturridge

i`d be surprised if he went with that line up against united, especially at old trafford.
it would be asking a hell of lot of lucas, there wouldnt be much defensive cover around him in midfield because gerrard looks great when we are on top and he`s orchestrating things and pulling strings from the quarterback position but whenever we are under the cosh and he has to put a shift in tracking runners and making 40 and 50 yard sprints to cover the space left by marauding fullbacks he starts to age noticably.
infact in those types of games he ends up doing more walking than running in the last 20 minutes.
in front of lucas luis isnt going to be overly concerned with tracking back either.
i think there will deffo be another midfielder in there in the attacking CM role, wether that turns out to be hendo, allen or even shelvey i`m not sure.
i could see us using that line up you`ve posted but i`d be surprised if we went with it at old trafford.

Hence why I said it would be ambitious.
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ethanr » Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:23 am

I could see us with a 3-5-1-1 setup with the wing backs in Wisdom and Johnson, our 3 in the middle, then Suarez and Sturridge stacked on top of each other as well.
ethanr

Postby Reg » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:17 am

BR would be mad to play Wisdom as a wing back against Man Utd. With his inexperience, he should be kept back, defend and no more. They might even bring Carra back rather than play a rookie.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby laza » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:08 am

After Wisdom display in the derby I wouldn't have him starting
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC1990 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:13 am

As someone mentioned earlier we need to stand up to united and not be overwhelmed by playing at OT and for that reason I'd start Shelvey.

What happend at our place and Shelveys reaction showed the young man isn't scared if utd or fergie. If something is going to give us the extra push to win the game Shelvey may give it to us.

I don't think Sturridge will start tbh he will more likely come on at half time or 60 minutes gone.

Reina
Wisdom.   Skrtle  Agger.   Johnson

Gerrard.  Lucas

Shelvey
Downing.                             Sterling
                          Suarez

The master and his apprentice
LFC1990
LFC Super Member

Postby metalhead » Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:37 pm

I would be happy with a draw
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red till i die!! » Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:05 pm

sturridge has to start for me, even though his match sharpness might not be the best, he should still be fit and well able to play.
i dont fear utd at all and think we have the better of them but i do fear us being robbed by webb :down:
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby Simari » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:16 am

A win for us would do wonders for the real Manchester club and that's not the one in red !

As it stands, City are the only club that can prevent United getting too far ahead of us on the title count and we sure could do them a favor on Sunday  :D
Simari
LFC Super Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - Games