LIVERPOOL VS BIRMINGHAM CITY - 09/11/09

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby puroresu » Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:15 am

should of won easily but no excuses.  2-2 v birmingham at home is a poor result.  Defence still cant defend set pieces.  Ngog dived.  No doubt about it.  That was a blatent dive and never a pen.
puroresu

Postby Greavesie » Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:38 am

I keep thinking this is some sort of nightmare I'm gonna wake out of soon. Can't believe how the seasons gone, really can't. I'm lost on what to think about LFC right now, it's insane. Never seen the club in such a state ever
All round the fields of Anfield Road
Where once we watched the King Kenny play (and could he play!)
Stevie Heighway on the wing
We had dreams and songs to sing
'Bout the glory, round the Fields of Anfield Road

JFT 96 - Gone but never forgotten
YNWA 15/4/1989
God Bless You All
Greavesie

Postby Ciggy » Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:21 am

lakes10 wrote:saying all that Dirk Kuyt looks like he needs 2 weeks rest, not sure what was up with him tonight, just seen the 1st 45 mins

was anything said about him being off the pace, i had no sound on what i just saw.

But u didnt see any of the game how can you comment on it? Seriously?
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The_Rock » Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:39 am

Good Performance..........Bad result.

All we need is some luck and for bermenstein to start the match threads.......

Where the F@ck is bermenstein ?
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby made in UK » Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:00 am

Well, it wasn't the result we were looking for but it was the performance we were after.

We deserved all the points to be honest but Birmingham must be given credit for their set-up and defending.

Lucas was my man of the match, I don't think I've ever seen him play so well. He managed to tackle well without giving as many fouls away as he has done in the pass. His distribution was excellent as he battled in midfield. Johnson's performance was also very good, our only real threat throughout the 90mins and his running and maruading of their left flank was a constant thorn in their side.

N'gog played well particulary in the first half but faded a little in the second until he took that dive. He took his goal well and generally showed why I think he deserves to start upfront instead of Babel. Insua was dissapointing for me, not defensively this time. But in the final third his ball was woeful when we were building up a head of steam.

Oh well a draw at home to Birmingham these days feels like a good result.
"I'm a bellend and now I'm banned for life"
made in UK
LFC Super Member

Postby JoeTerp » Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:13 am

Our left side was weak.  Thought everybody else played well

I don't really think N'gog dived. I know no contact was made, but was was he supposed to do? I guess he could have purposefully left his feet lower to get caught, but the defender was well committed and didn't come near the ball, yet had his entire body cutting across N'gog's path.  Kuyt got a yellow card against everton a couple of years ago on a challenge that didn't make any contact and I see this as the penalty version.

Thought Lucas played really well, Johnson was immense

Don't think Rafa could have done anything else, we totally dominated, all you can do is come up with an plan of attack to give your team opportunities, and I think he certainly did that

Mascherano did a lot of important things, but he is so limited going forward, I think Lucas-Aquilani-Gerrard is the midfield for the future against teams like Birmingham at home, with hopefully Kuyt - Torres/N'gog  - Babel up front.  Johnson and Aurelio providing the width.
JoeTerp

Postby Penguins » Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:49 am

Well, I think the result really tells us that we are just lacking in quality right now to get the ball into the back of the net.
The team put out there just wasn't good enough.

I think the players gave it their best shoot and it wasn't good enough. Johnson was quality but that is why he cost 17-18 million and we don't have the team filled with those kind of players.
Penguins
LFC Super Member

Postby bigmick » Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:59 am

Penguins wrote:Well, I think the result really tells us that we are just lacking in quality right now to get the ball into the back of the net.

I think the players gave it their best shoot and it wasn't good enough. Johnson was quality but that is why he cost 17-18 million and we don't have the team filled with those kind of players.

Don't tell me, Birmingham have spent more money than us over the last five years, their wage bill higher, etc etc etc etc.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Penguins » Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:12 am

Very funny BM.

What I am saying is that we lack the quality to put the sword into teams. We have better players so we can dominate possession but those players that make things happen offensivly
are precious and very important. We just don't have anyone really world class/top class players when Torres and Gerrard isn't 100 % fit. They are worth imo maybe 50 million or more each.
I wouldn't value anyone above 10 million(who plays in a attacking position) besides those 2 in our squad right now.

But another thing that is clearly just not working out right now is our defense or lack thereof. Our cb pairing just isn't good enough when we don't have the Arbeloa, Finnan type of fullbacks.
Penguins
LFC Super Member

Postby made in UK » Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:57 am

bigmick wrote:
Penguins wrote:Well, I think the result really tells us that we are just lacking in quality right now to get the ball into the back of the net.

Don't tell me, Birmingham have spent more money than us over the last five years, their wage bill higher, etc etc etc etc.

:D
"I'm a bellend and now I'm banned for life"
made in UK
LFC Super Member

Postby Scottbot » Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:03 am

We're Fu...c...k...e...d  :(

Most likely out of everything by the end of November. I think i'm actually looking forward to the world cup. :(
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Judge » Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:12 am

not good enough. dissillusioned with results and not being able to bury teams when dominating. If that had been a performance from, and im sorry to say, either man utd, chelsea or arsenal, they wouldve won 10-2 easily at a canter.

i hope folk dont blaim injuries etc, as you will sound like ferguson. We should have more depth and quality cover to allow for that.

His position as manager is looking grim at present, anyone who disagrees with that, is blind. IMO
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby andy_g » Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:44 am

JoeTerp wrote:I don't really think N'gog dived. I know no contact was made, but was was he supposed to do? I guess he could have purposefully left his feet lower to get caught, but the defender was well committed and didn't come near the ball, yet had his entire body cutting across N'gog's path.  Kuyt got a yellow card against everton a couple of years ago on a challenge that didn't make any contact and I see this as the penalty version.

agree with you there, joe. i don't actually think ngog was cynically looking for a penalty. with a challenge like that coming in you have to get out of the way and his only option was to jump - he just landed a little.... erm.... awkwardly.  :Oo:

he took his goal fantastically though and it looks better with every viewing. i was beginning to think he might actually make a decent stand in but then he started to revert to type and really should have scored at least one more of the numerous chances that came to him. i know there was very little time or space in their box but still his touch deserted him completely for long stretches.

lucas again had a really good game but is, of course, getting flak on various parts of the forum.

johnson was immense and just about uncontainable. he deserved a goal, an assist or at least to be on the winning side. their left back will have nightmares about that game for a long time.

overall our performance was pretty damned good until it got into the final third. we dominated everywhere - except for the two lapses which led to their goals - but seemed to lose all composure when we actually got the ball into the danger area. i'm sure if torres had been playing we'd have won that by a couple of goals.

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tonyeh » Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:50 am

JoeTerp wrote:I don't really think N'gog dived.

Oh, come on Joe. He did a feckin Ronaldo.
tonyeh

Postby Sabre » Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:54 am

andy_g wrote:
JoeTerp wrote:I don't really think N'gog dived. I know no contact was made, but was was he supposed to do? I guess he could have purposefully left his feet lower to get caught, but the defender was well committed and didn't come near the ball, yet had his entire body cutting across N'gog's path.  Kuyt got a yellow card against everton a couple of years ago on a challenge that didn't make any contact and I see this as the penalty version.

agree with you there, joe. i don't actually think ngog was cynically looking for a penalty. with a challenge like that coming in you have to get out of the way and his only option was to jump - he just landed a little.... erm.... awkwardly.  :Oo:

It was a dive. An innocent dive. He was not cynical enough to drag his leg and find the contact, which is what a professional diver would do, but it was a dive anyway.

The tackle by the defence was badly done, the back of the defender avoided the view of the ref, and the ref probably just guessed what happened after seeing how the defender reached late.

In those situations there are many "clear penalties" with contact and everything that are given, but most of them are provoked. In the case of Ngog, in a not too "professional" way.

johnson was immense and just about uncontainable. he deserved a goal, an assist or at least to be on the winning side. their left back will have nightmares about that game for a long time.

I agree on Johnson.
Last edited by Sabre on Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - Games