LIVERPOOL VS ARSENAL - 13th december 2009 , 16:00 kick off

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby Scottbot » Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:20 pm

Game reminded me very much of our home match with Arsenal in Houllier's last season. I thought we played well in the first half but the final ball let us down every time as I fancied we could (and should) have been 2 up going into the break. We looked well and truly up for it but you always knew we needed a 2nd goal. As is usually the case with a side struggling for form and confidence, the moment they scored you could see the life and belief drain from the players (I know it drained out of me) and we simply lost it from there on in. For the final 20 minutes we were in complete disarray, we were hitting aimless long balls up to no-one, we completely lost our shape, and most of the lads looked a bit scared of the ball from there on in. some credit needs to go to Arsenal, I thought they came out and looked a different team in the 2nd half, they started contesting 2nd/3rd balls and managed to get their passing game going. Unfortunately, the whole thing had a feeling of inevitability about it. We all saw it coming and the most worrying thing about is, I expect the players did as well. I don't know what the manager can do to reverse this tailspin, obviously a win on Wednesday would be a start but he needs to string 4-5 wins on the bounce and the lads simply don't look like they've got it in them :(

Just on a side-note, I thought the referee was a f...u...c....k....i...n joke today. God knows what he was thinking on the penalty decision? Anywhere else on the park that's a free-kick 10 times out of 10. How many times did they get away with subtle fouls on Gerrard today? Several of them crucial.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Scottbot » Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:21 pm

Double Post
Last edited by Scottbot on Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kash_Mountain » Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:22 pm

Madmax wrote:
bavlondon wrote:Today was a real shame. With pretty much all of the sides above us dropping points it was a good opportunity to close the gap. The thing is Arsenal didn't even play that well generally. We have to win in midweek against Wigan.

Ahem... When do we ever capitalise when the top sides drop points?? Last season we fecked that chance many times and as far as this season its just typical of us to do it again.

I was just thinking the same thing before you posted. We never seem to take advantage when the sides above us drop points.

ABSOLUTE STRENGTH       

ImageImage
Kash_Mountain

Postby account deleted by request » Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:27 pm

Scottbot wrote:Just on a side-note, I thought the referee was a f...u...c....k....i...n joke today. God knows what he was thinking on the penalty decision? Anywhere else on the park that's a free-kick 10 times out of 10. How many times did they get away with subtle fouls on Gerrard today? Several of them crucial.

I know we don't like to admit it but Gerrard is starting to get a rep for "going down too easily in the box" (diving if you want) I just think the ref thought he went over the player rather than was brought down.

It was a penalty, I have no doubts at all on that, but I think sometimes reps catch up with you.
account deleted by request

Postby bunglemark2 » Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:33 pm

s@int wrote:
Scottbot wrote:Just on a side-note, I thought the referee was a f...u...c....k....i...n joke today. God knows what he was thinking on the penalty decision? Anywhere else on the park that's a free-kick 10 times out of 10. How many times did they get away with subtle fouls on Gerrard today? Several of them crucial.

I know we don't like to admit it but Gerrard is starting to get a rep for "going down too easily in the box" (diving if you want) I just think the ref thought he went over the player rather than was brought down.

It was a penalty, I have no doubts at all on that, but I think sometimes reps catch up with you.

Tell the truth, I'm phucked off with Stevie G's antics in recent weeks. I'm pi$$ed off watching him dive time and time again. It's just a phuckin' disgrace from the captain of this club, and should in no way be acceptable.
Cop yerself on Gerrard...
http://s2.tinypic.com/30ldif7_th.jpg
See yooo, Judas. Yoo're gettin' on mah titz !
bunglemark2

Postby woof woof ! » Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:39 pm

bunglemark2 wrote:Tell the truth, I'm phucked off with Stevie G's antics in recent weeks. I'm pi$$ed off watching him dive time and time again. It's just a phuckin' disgrace from the captain of this club, and should in no way be acceptable.
Cop yerself on Gerrard...

I go along with that. Was fked off when he made a song and dance about being blocked off, pulled up on his run and appealed to the ref virtually before any contact was made.

What does he expect ? the opposition will get out of his way and let him play ?

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby bunglemark2 » Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:42 pm

Exactly. The man needs to play the ball. Let the ref make decisions. Panting and puffing like a petulant kid, just because you are Stevie G, or the game is at Anfield, is inexcusable. Cop on, do what you're supposed to do as Captain, and drag this poxy team back out of the gutter....
http://s2.tinypic.com/30ldif7_th.jpg
See yooo, Judas. Yoo're gettin' on mah titz !
bunglemark2

Postby red37 » Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:49 pm

Still a penno - nailed on. Uncle Fester played a f*ckin blinder today (re scotts comment)

The lads as frustrated by all this as we all are (well, most of us....) But, yes, it would be better to avoid gaining yourself notoriety in the first place.

However, im certain no-one would be crowing if it had been awarded and duly despatched into the top corner.
These foibles of the game make it as exciting and as exasperating equally, as it is. Gerrard wants whats best for LFC - possibly by hook or by crook an all.

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby Scottbot » Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:50 pm

I think we were watching a different game lads. They were fouling him all game. It doesn't take much to knock a player off kilter when they're traveling at full pace, the Arsenal defenders were subtle rather than simply taking him out but there's no doubt for me that they got away with it in dangerous areas. the ref was poor. As for the pen, i realise Stevie took a heavy touch and would not have got to the ball, but he was pole-axed, no dive, and their player failed to make contact with the ball otherwise the ref would have awarded a corner. I'm lost as top which part of the rule book prevents that from being a penalty.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby fivecups » Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:21 pm

Scottbot wrote:Game reminded me very much of our home match with Arsenal in Houllier's last season. I thought we played well in the first half but the final ball let us down every time as I fancied we could (and should) have been 2 up going into the break. We looked well and truly up for it but you always knew we needed a 2nd goal. As is usually the case with a side struggling for form and confidence, the moment they scored you could see the life and belief drain from the players (I know it drained out of me) and we simply lost it from there on in. For the final 20 minutes we were in complete disarray, we were hitting aimless long balls up to no-one, we completely lost our shape, and most of the lads looked a bit scared of the ball from there on in. some credit needs to go to Arsenal, I thought they came out and looked a different team in the 2nd half, they started contesting 2nd/3rd balls and managed to get their passing game going. Unfortunately, the whole thing had a feeling of inevitability about it. We all saw it coming and the most worrying thing about is, I expect the players did as well. I don't know what the manager can do to reverse this tailspin, obviously a win on Wednesday would be a start but he needs to string 4-5 wins on the bounce and the lads simply don't look like they've got it in them :(

A lot of sense there as usual.

I think that's one of the most frustrating things for me at the minute. We've gone ahead numerous times this season and then we've been pulled back. Fair enough, not ideal, but today we had half an hour left to sort it out when we went 2-1 down.

Our responsive was almost non-existent. Lots of mindless running around, lots of long-balls, desperate lunges, hopeful individual runs but no cool heads, co-ordinated attacks or even real goal threats. I could live with the result if we hammered them for 30 minutes at the end but we didn't. These days we never do.
fivecups
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:29 pm

Not talking about the pen that wasn't given Scott, Stevie had every right to complain about that.

What i'm not happy with is that top players get "fouled" all the time, some get on with it and some do a "Drogba", sometimes Stevie seems to be leaning more towards doing a Drogba than just getting on with it.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby Bad Bob » Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:31 pm

woof woof ! wrote:Not talking about the pen that wasn't given Scott, Stevie had every right to complain about that.

What i'm not happy with is that top players get "fouled" all the time, some get on with it and some do a "Drogba", sometimes Stevie seems to be leaning more towards doing a Drogba than just getting on with it.

Torres too, as far as that goes.
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby Ciggy » Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:37 pm

dave M wrote.

The flow of negativity that's been streaming from the press, our support and the players over the last few months has led to this being one of my lowest points as a supporter. There's been events at the club that have been far more important and that have caused incomparable levels of sadness but, the way things are at the moment, the nature of our predicament, I've begun to question a lot of things. I feel like my belief in the cause has been a false belief. Not that my support is fradulent but that the cause itself is a lie; what it was supposed to mean to be a Red, the philosophical fabric of our fanbase, our solidarity exposed as a great big, dirty lie.

We've got fans turning on each other, ex players slagging off the manager in the press, current players allegedly doing it, a pair of owners that are in it for themselves getting away with it all whilst we pile into one another. It seems like everyone is in it for their own personal glory. Objectively, we've had lower points than this but we seem to be ripping ourselves apart, quick to assert our opinion, slow to consider the consequences of our collective actions. Our football club feels like it's dying and, if we're honest with ourselves, we can blame Gillett and Hicks as much as we like, but we're guilty in other ways.

Where the :censored:'s the solidarity in times of trouble? We're supposed to be different compared to fans of other clubs but we're not, we're just like every other generic, sky generation band of :censored:wits who seek quick solutions to difficult problems because they lack the patience and the forethought to consider the implications of their collective demands.

You'll Never Walk Alone? A sentimental lie. It means nothing, it's just a song but, to me, it meant something, I sang the words growing up and I meant them, I still do, but too many people are paying lip service to our past. It's usually the same ones that demand we're successful like we used to be which is quite an irony. We didn't become successful because of some magical event, we earned it, hard :censored: work, patience, planning, belief in the plan and the capacity to execute it.

It'll never be like that now, though, because when the path becomes a little bit tough, people :censored: their kecks and ask for a better map. When they get the map, they have to begin the journey afresh but, as soon as the new journey becomes a bit difficult, they once again :censored: their kecks and ask for a new map, over and over and over they repeat this fruitless process, seeking better, more pleasurable conditions. Rather than attempting to find the courage to walk on through the storm in the hope that the outcome is one worth fighting for, they seek shelter from the storm in a refuge that is worse than the storm they were heading into. Just thought I'd add my little bit of negativity to the problem. :censored: blame, stand and :censored: fight.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Emerald Red » Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:49 pm

Ciggy wrote:dave M wrote.

The flow of negativity that's been streaming from the press, our support and the players over the last few months has led to this being one of my lowest points as a supporter. There's been events at the club that have been far more important and that have caused incomparable levels of sadness but, the way things are at the moment, the nature of our predicament, I've begun to question a lot of things. I feel like my belief in the cause has been a false belief. Not that my support is fradulent but that the cause itself is a lie; what it was supposed to mean to be a Red, the philosophical fabric of our fanbase, our solidarity exposed as a great big, dirty lie.

We've got fans turning on each other, ex players slagging off the manager in the press, current players allegedly doing it, a pair of owners that are in it for themselves getting away with it all whilst we pile into one another. It seems like everyone is in it for their own personal glory. Objectively, we've had lower points than this but we seem to be ripping ourselves apart, quick to assert our opinion, slow to consider the consequences of our collective actions. Our football club feels like it's dying and, if we're honest with ourselves, we can blame Gillett and Hicks as much as we like, but we're guilty in other ways.

Where the :censored:'s the solidarity in times of trouble? We're supposed to be different compared to fans of other clubs but we're not, we're just like every other generic, sky generation band of :censored:wits who seek quick solutions to difficult problems because they lack the patience and the forethought to consider the implications of their collective demands.

You'll Never Walk Alone? A sentimental lie. It means nothing, it's just a song but, to me, it meant something, I sang the words growing up and I meant them, I still do, but too many people are paying lip service to our past. It's usually the same ones that demand we're successful like we used to be which is quite an irony. We didn't become successful because of some magical event, we earned it, hard :censored: work, patience, planning, belief in the plan and the capacity to execute it.

It'll never be like that now, though, because when the path becomes a little bit tough, people :censored: their kecks and ask for a better map. When they get the map, they have to begin the journey afresh but, as soon as the new journey becomes a bit difficult, they once again :censored: their kecks and ask for a new map, over and over and over they repeat this fruitless process, seeking better, more pleasurable conditions. Rather than attempting to find the courage to walk on through the storm in the hope that the outcome is one worth fighting for, they seek shelter from the storm in a refuge that is worse than the storm they were heading into. Just thought I'd add my little bit of negativity to the problem. :censored: blame, stand and :censored: fight.

What a brilliant post. Truth be told, that is exactly how I feel. Exactly!
Emerald Red
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby shitonutd78 » Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:13 pm

ciggy and emerald do u really believe we aint backed rafa? He is losing the players his decisions are baffling i agree with u to a certain extent but rafa's had it easier then souness evans and houllier but reality is we aint progressing anymore so wat shall we do? just to show solidarity  should we keep quiet and let Liverpool become a club thats becoming a ordinary mid table club we are Liverpool we demand to be number 1 u telling me Shanks would have said nothing about the players who are letting the fans down each weekend i travel from london to Watch  liverpool i spend my hard earned money to support the cause but truth is rafa has taken us as far as he can u ask the liverpool fans in Kop or the pubs are we gonna win the league whilst rafa is in charge 90% of them will say no, are they all wrong? Harsh truth is we are well behind the likes of utd and chelsea look at the scum the other night against wolfs they had 15 1st team players out yet won we struggle to beat the likes of sunderland and birmingham if we have torres or gerrard missing wat does that tell u about the manager? We can blame the owners or the lack of money end of the day it all comes back to the manager dont get me wrong i actually like the fella he does love liverpool but so do i but i wont win the prem for them and neither will he
shitonutd78

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - Games