BOLTON WANDERERS VS LIVERPOOL - build up and reaction

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby adamnbarrett » Sun Jan 01, 2006 2:31 pm

Hope there isn't already a thread on this.

Well as we all know Bolton are a tricky side to beat because of their physical approach to the game.
We need to be careful because even though bolton's last games have been 0-0 vs Sunderland and 4-1 loss to manure because teams like bolton are very unpredictable e.g. a win vs arsenal and then later a 0-0 vs sunderland.

With our recent form I feel we should come away from the game tomorrow with all 3 points. With morientes still injured I expect cisse to keep his place in the side.

I personally think sissoko will come back in and gerrard will move out wide again. which means luis garcia drops out as the form of harry kewell is really coming on.

GK Reina
RB Finnan
LB Riise
CB Carra
CB sammi
RM Gerrard
LM Kewell
CM Xabi
CM Momo (unles hamann is ready which looks unlikely)
CF Crouch
CF Cisse
Image Image Image
adamnbarrett
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby drummerphil » Sun Jan 01, 2006 3:02 pm

This game concerns me.The one match after such a busy December and xmas period you dont want is Bolton away.A Bolton team that have just been given a hiding by manure 4-1.Big Sam will have his players up for this one big style and its obvious they will launch high ball after high ball into our area.I wouldnt be so concerned normally after such a good run but our defensive mistakes especially the high ball against Neverton will play right into Boltons hands unless Sammi and Carra have it sorted big time.Although i would love to see us win this,its a score draw for me 1-1 more than likely.
my reason for living

Bob Paisley : "Still we've had the hard times too - one year we finished second."

drummerphil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby azriahmad » Sun Jan 01, 2006 3:08 pm

Apart from Balckburn, who are thugs disguised as footballers, Bolton come closest as a very physically intimidating and challenge football team. They don't go out and kick their opponents outright like Balckburn but they run non-stop and they muscle their way in their approach to matches.

We have improved a lot and has overcome physical opponents, most recently Neverton who were never allowed to get into their usual physical stride by our slick passing except for a period before half-time in the first half which yielded their  goal.

I'm a bit more concerned by Bolton because they way they are organised with an emphasis on the physical side has become their systematic trademark and has also brought them considerable success in the EPL.

Perhaps Rafa should start with Sissoko in midfield, as he has shown to be adept in the rough and tumble of the EPL, and move Steven Gerrard back to the right. Garica would be too easily muscled off in challenges. Crouch and Cisse up front.
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Sun Jan 01, 2006 3:30 pm

This game also worries me and theres a slight chance of Cisse not being fit to play tomorrow due to injury. They will be fired up for this game after the trashing they got, and they need the points.

It's going to be difficult, toughest game since we've played Chelsea imo.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby zarababe » Sun Jan 01, 2006 4:06 pm

We're on a roll, confidence is high and I fully expect us to win

possibly 2-0 - Gerrard and Garcia :)
THE BRENDAN REVOLUTION IS UPON US !

KING KENNY.. Always LEGEND !

RAFA.. MADE THE PEOPLE HAPPY !

Miss YOU Phil-Drummer - RIP YNWA

zarababe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 7_Kewell » Mon Jan 02, 2006 1:58 am

i'm going for 2-0 as well......Crouch and Kewell...
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GOAT » Mon Jan 02, 2006 2:01 am

oh i dont have a good feeling about this one. theres just something daunting about this fixture that makes me nervous about the outcome. We have the quality to easily overcome this side but they will know exactly what they have to do and are a well structured side and we will have to be wary about them. Hardest game we have had since this winning run started, this will be a test
Image  Image

YNWA
GOAT

Postby The Manhattan Project » Mon Jan 02, 2006 2:07 am

Yeah this will be a tricky one.

Hopefully we can use our momentum and the fact that Bolton might be low on morale after getting stuffed at Old Trafford to win it.

1-0 to the Reds will do for me.
china syndrome 80512640 reactor meltdown fusion element
no uniquely indefinable one 5918 identification unknown 113
source transmission 421 general panic hysteria 02 outbreak
foreign mutation 001505 maximum code destruction nuclear
reflection 01044 power plutonium helix atomic energy wave
The Manhattan Project
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Mon Jan 02, 2006 4:16 am

The trashing to the Mancs didn't do us any favours. Now Bolton have quite a few reasons to be fired up for. They needs points, they're playing at home,they're playing against us, and they've gotten results against top sides before.

I hate Bolton and the way they play, but it's efficient for them to get the job done. Watch out for Nolan,Diouf(he's done well at Bolton) and Stelios.
Last edited by A.B. on Mon Jan 02, 2006 4:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby Lando_Griffin » Mon Jan 02, 2006 5:16 am

If our passing is up to scratch, we should batter them. We are just too gifted a side not to.

However. They have only played two games since Boxing day, where as we have played three. Their physical "lets f*ck 'em up" style of "play" only works if their team isn't knackered. They won't be, we will be, and we could have a shock on our hands if we don't put the effort in.

As DrummerPhil said, we looked uncharacteristically vulnerable to high balls against the bluesh*te, and unless that was merely a one-off, we could end up conceding a fair few against Fatty Alardyce's Bolton.

I would consider the following formation:

Reina

Finnan                             JC                               Sami                             Warnock

Hamann      Sissoko       

Alonso
                  Gerrard                                                      Riise

Crouch

If Cisse's not fit for the match, this could be the formation Rafa goes with, in view of Bolton's gameplan.

Kewell could replace Riise (who in turn would surely replace Warnock).

Needless to say I'm glad I haven't got to pick the side for this game, and if, in view of our recent history against this sort of side, we win it, then even Moris will have to admit Rafa is the best.

1-0, or quite possibly a dirty Bolton victory.

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby laza » Mon Jan 02, 2006 7:46 am

Yeah im a little concerned about this fixture considering the heavy workload on the back of the Japan trip . The tougher then expected result against WBA may help us , it would certainly be awesome achievement to get  maximum points from the 4 games in a 8 days.
Certainly seems a long time ago when we first played them away with Alonso and Garica just arriving , and poor old Sami got his nose broken, nothing went right for us in that game
D
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LiverpoolMadman » Mon Jan 02, 2006 8:13 am

Any goal will do, as long we got 3 points at the end of the day ...
LiverpoolMadman

Postby *XABIALONSO* » Mon Jan 02, 2006 9:14 am

cisses got a major muscle injury so isa doubt for this game but hopefully he can bolton is a game i dread especially at the reebok last yr 1-0 i hope we come away with all 3 points but its gonna be tricky

reina

finnan
hyypia
carragher
risse

gerrard
alonso
sissoko
kewell

cisse/garcia(incase cisse cant play)
crouch
Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I don't like that attitude. I can assure them it is much more serious than that.        BILL SHANKLY
*XABIALONSO*

Postby LFC #1 » Mon Jan 02, 2006 9:52 am

azriahmad wrote:Apart from Balckburn, who are thugs disguised as footballers, Bolton come closest as a very physically intimidating and challenge football team. They don't go out and kick their opponents outright like Balckburn but they run non-stop and they muscle their way in their approach to matches.

We have improved a lot and has overcome physical opponents, most recently Neverton who were never allowed to get into their usual physical stride by our slick passing except for a period before half-time in the first half which yielded their  goal.

I'm a bit more concerned by Bolton because they way they are organised with an emphasis on the physical side has become their systematic trademark and has also brought them considerable success in the EPL.

Perhaps Rafa should start with Sissoko in midfield, as he has shown to be adept in the rough and tumble of the EPL, and move Steven Gerrard back to the right. Garica would be too easily muscled off in challenges. Crouch and Cisse up front.

Agree with that azriah, particularly about Garcia, I think he will struggle if he starts tonight. He is defo worth having on the bench though, as he could make a big impact in the last 25-30 mins if we need a goal and Bolton will be tiring. 

Toughest game we've had in a while and I'd be happy with a point. However the way we are playing at the moment, and with confidence sky high, I wouldn't be at all surprised if we got yet another 3 points.

C'mon Reds.
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Mon Jan 02, 2006 10:10 am

it sounds daft to say but this will be our biggest test defensively for some while. they'll be enless free kicks crosses and long throws coming into our box all game but the way we're defending at the moment i think we can deal with it. at the end of the day it will be more of a scrap than a pretty football match so we'll have to win ugly. that's one of the major improvements under benitez this season that was so lacking under the houllier regime.

i'll go for a scrappy 1-0 win for us with crouch on the mark again.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - Games