TRANSFER DEADLINE DAY - live updates, news here

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby ivor_the_injun » Wed Aug 31, 2005 12:49 pm

BBC Sport are now going with this...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/4199286.stm

1215: Simao Sabrosa appears set to join Liverpool from Benfica after the Portuguese Football Federation gave permission for the forward to undergo a medical at Anfield.
ivor_the_injun

Postby tubby » Wed Aug 31, 2005 12:51 pm

Yeah hes havin the medical now accodring to newsflashes on SSN. Good signing.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby mkingdom » Wed Aug 31, 2005 1:02 pm

woof woof ! wrote:We have spent £18 million this summer but pulled back £8.5 mill through the sale of Baros and Diarra . Total expenditure £9.5 mill .

Don't forget we also sold Diouff to Bolton for a few million.

I don't think we are short of cash.

If today's signings go through

Simao £10m
CB £5m

That takes our spending to around £35m with around £10m back in players sold.

We also cleared a load of wage bill with the likes of Smicer, Igor, Kirkland etc.

I would imagine that signing players is a very long, complicated process these days, with agents etc...so I don't think cash has been the problem.

I think we could have signed MO...but I agree with Rafa that £16m is way over the odds and our cash is better spent elsewhere.  Plus we get to keep Cisse.

Bottom line on MO....he wanted to come to Liverpool, but RM wanted us to match the £17m, which was never going to happen.

I hope all the NUFC fans are happy that Owen ended up at his third chioce club  :eyebrow
mkingdom

Postby tubby » Wed Aug 31, 2005 1:05 pm

The Simao medical should be over now. No news of any other medicals though for a CB
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Ace1983 » Wed Aug 31, 2005 1:12 pm

My mate in Spain says everyone is going mental over there. Apparently loads of players from all over the place are heading to England but it all sounds like BS to me. Rumours over there include the one about Raul going to us, Valeron/Motta and a few others going to Arsenal, Torres going to Man Ure and a lot more. :D  It's a good :laugh:  I suppose, but this last minute shopping is always a bit too mad for my liking.
The Ace1983
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby matrix » Thu Sep 01, 2005 5:11 am

sky sports on our web site have said liverpools bid for sabrosa when up to 12.3 million just 1.3 million short of there asking price  if thats true im even more :censored: off now    benficaaaaaa   :angry:  :angry:  :angry:

matrix
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Tiiger » Thu Sep 01, 2005 6:05 am

matrix wrote:sky sports on our web site have said liverpools bid for sabrosa when up to 12.3 million just 1.3 million short of there asking price  if thats true im even more :censored: off now    benficaaaaaa   :angry:  :angry:  :angry:

These greedy f[]cking busters!
Those who forget the past have no future.
Tiiger

Postby MightyLFC » Fri Aug 31, 2007 5:09 pm

This is old
MightyLFC

Postby Ciggy » Fri Aug 31, 2007 5:11 pm

MightyLFC wrote:This is old

Well you learn something new every day.  :oops:
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Raj_Xedos » Fri Aug 31, 2007 5:20 pm

have we been linked with anyone??
Raj_Xedos

Postby aCe' » Fri Aug 31, 2007 5:26 pm

Ciggy wrote:
MightyLFC wrote:This is old

Well you learn something new every day.  :oops:

hahahahahahahaha
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bad Bob » Fri Aug 31, 2007 6:55 pm

bavlondon wrote:Does anyone know how things are progressing with Daniel Bonera (CB) Also we were supposed to have signed that Danish youngster from Brondby.

That Danish youngster from Brondby!  :D

Whatever happened to that lad?  ???  :D
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby Yankee17 » Fri Aug 31, 2007 7:02 pm

banana wrote:As it is right now we are desperately short in some positions. Assuming Rafa favours 4-4-1-1 i'd gusee this is the current status:

GK:
1st Reina
2nd Carson
3rd Dudek

Position obviously well covered. 3 quality players, possibly 1 big name goalie too much. Wouldn't be surprised to see Dudek walk out the door in January.

RB:
1st Finnan
2nd Josemi

And we could switch Carra to RB if a crisis is coming or even use Barragan. Finnan was ok last season, but to be honest he must do at least as good this year if he want to secure his future at an european top team. Josemi is below average. Position not as good as I think necessary.

CD:
1st Carra
2nd Hyypia
3rd Josemi?
4th Traore?
5th Whitbread
6th Riise?

Only 2 real centre backs in our squad. I guess that is why Benitez has tried Josemi in that position lately. Josemi is maybe a bit small and rash to play there. If there is a crisis (and I fully expect our centre backs to get injured or suspended at some part during the season) I wouldn't be surprised to see Traore or even Riise covering at centre back. Whitbread is a rookie and should only play against Carlisle or Hull in cup competitions.

LB:
1st: Traore
2nd: Warnock
3rd Riise

Well covered

RM:
1st: None really
2nd: Garcia
3rd: Cisse
4rth: Zenden, Pongolle, Finnan, Potter, Barragan,,,,,

No real winger at our club. Garcia will probably play there a lot, and also Cisse. I would expect a big number of players being tried in that position.

CM:
1st: Gerrard
2nd: Alonso
3rd: Sissoko
4th: Hamann

Covered!

LM:
1st: Riise
2nd: Zenden

A bit frustrating this is. No wingers on the right, and on the left not enough flair and pace to threathen the defenders. Both players are solid, don't get me wrong. Let's gat some chilean pace and flair in january.

AM/F:
4th: Pongolle

Benitez will use either a midfielder or an attacker in this position.

S:
1st: Crouch
2nd: Morientes

Maybe enough if Crouch becomes a success, if not a potential disaster area.

Best 11 4-4-1-1

Reina

Finnan
Hyypia
Carra
Traore

Riise
Sissoko
Alonso
Garcia

Gerrard

Crouch

Thanks to the one who bumped this post from two years ago.
It is helpful to be reminded again just how far we have come, and Rafa has done for our team.  Two years ago at the end of the summer signing period we were moaning about the depth of our squad and crying out for drastic measures.  Two years on, the depth of our squad is unbelievable, and we finish the summer signing period without any fear or nervousness.  A few things of note....

1. The core of the team has remaind relatively the same for 2 years. i.e. Reina, Finnan, Carra, Hyypia, Riise, Alonso, Sissoko, Gerrard, Crouch.  There is strength in this.  I am aware that some (Hyypia, Crouch) are not getting the playing time they once did, but this is a strong core to keep together.

2. The strength in depth is outstanding.  Look at our current team compared to this one two years ago.  The differences are apparent and obvious. 

3.  I am amazed that Rafa accomplished so much in so little time.  Considering the sqaud he inherited, and the budget he had to work with, he has done an outstanding job bringing us to the point of strength in the League and Europe.  I know that we want to go on and win the League, and that nothing short will suffice.  But many here should simply stop and take a look, and be reminded of where we were as compared to where we are now. 

In Rafa I Trust.
Last edited by Yankee17 on Fri Aug 31, 2007 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yankee17

Postby roberto green » Fri Aug 31, 2007 7:14 pm

i tell you what sky sports news are making a big f!cking deal out of transfer deadline day and the blue noses are jizzing in thier pants at the thought of getting requelme lol!!! :D
roberto green

Postby Bad Bob » Fri Aug 31, 2007 7:17 pm

Yankee17 wrote:
banana wrote:As it is right now we are desperately short in some positions. Assuming Rafa favours 4-4-1-1 i'd gusee this is the current status:

GK:
1st Reina
2nd Carson
3rd Dudek

Position obviously well covered. 3 quality players, possibly 1 big name goalie too much. Wouldn't be surprised to see Dudek walk out the door in January.

RB:
1st Finnan
2nd Josemi

And we could switch Carra to RB if a crisis is coming or even use Barragan. Finnan was ok last season, but to be honest he must do at least as good this year if he want to secure his future at an european top team. Josemi is below average. Position not as good as I think necessary.

CD:
1st Carra
2nd Hyypia
3rd Josemi?
4th Traore?
5th Whitbread
6th Riise?

Only 2 real centre backs in our squad. I guess that is why Benitez has tried Josemi in that position lately. Josemi is maybe a bit small and rash to play there. If there is a crisis (and I fully expect our centre backs to get injured or suspended at some part during the season) I wouldn't be surprised to see Traore or even Riise covering at centre back. Whitbread is a rookie and should only play against Carlisle or Hull in cup competitions.

LB:
1st: Traore
2nd: Warnock
3rd Riise

Well covered

RM:
1st: None really
4rth: Zenden, Pongolle, Finnan, Potter, Barragan,,,,,

No real winger at our club. Garcia will probably play there a lot, and also Cisse. I would expect a big number of players being tried in that position.

CM:
2nd: Alonso
3rd: Sissoko
4th: Hamann

Covered!

LM:
1st: Riise
2nd: Zenden

A bit frustrating this is. No wingers on the right, and on the left not enough flair and pace to threathen the defenders. Both players are solid, don't get me wrong. Let's gat some chilean pace and flair in january.

AM/F:

Benitez will use either a midfielder or an attacker in this position.

S:
1st: Crouch
2nd: Morientes

Maybe enough if Crouch becomes a success, if not a potential disaster area.

Best 11 4-4-1-1

Reina

Finnan
Hyypia
Carra
Traore

Riise
Sissoko
Alonso
Garcia

Gerrard

Crouch

Thanks to the one who bumped this post from two years ago.
It is helpful to be reminded again just how far we have come, and Rafa has done for our team.  Two years ago at the end of the summer signing period we were moaning about the depth of our squad and crying out for drastic measures.  Two years on, the depth of our squad is unbelievable, and we finish the summer signing period without any fear or nervousness.  A few things of note....

1. The core of the team has remaind relatively the same for 2 years. i.e. Reina, Finnan, Carra, Hyypia, Riise, Alonso, Sissoko, Gerrard, Crouch.  There is strength in this.  I am aware that some (Hyypia, Crouch) are not getting the playing time they once did, but this is a strong core to keep together.

2. The strength in depth is outstanding.  Look at our current team compared to this one two years ago.  The differences are apparent and obvious. 

3.  I am amazed that Rafa accomplished so much in so little time.  Considering the sqaud he inherited, and the budget he had to work with, he has done an outstanding job bringing us to the point of strength in the League and Europe.  I know that we want to go on and win the League, and that nothing short will suffice.  But many here should simply stop and take a look, and be reminded of where we were as compared to where we are now. 

In Rafa I Trust.

Good post, mate...you should do it more often!  :cool:
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion