Klopp on the transfer deadline

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Reg » Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:20 pm

Jurgen Klopp says early Premier League transfer deadline 'makes no sense' and should fall back in line with rest of Europe

Jurgen Klopp has added his voice to the growing list of managers who believe the Premier League transfer window should close in line with the rest of Europe.

Klopp agrees with Spurs boss Mauricio Pochettino in believing it creates uncertainty in English clubs knowing that players could still leave for a European club up and until September 2 - nearly a month after the domestic top flight window closed.

The future of Liverpool defender Dejan Lovren is still uncertain with the Croatia international a target for clubs in Italy and Germany.

And Klopp clearly does not want possible transfer matters to cloud his thinking and distract focus now the season is underway.

He refused to comment on Lovren's future but said: “I don’t care when it closes, but it must close at the same time. That was the idea in the first place. They spoke about finishing it before the season starts, good idea, but only England did it. That makes no sense.

“Can somebody explain what is the benefit for the Premier League? We don’t really have a problem but for other teams, their key players are still on the market and everything can happen.

“You want a team together and focused on the future, but that cannot happen when there is a door open. I don’t understand why this decision is not already reviewed at least. It was a good idea but it didn’t work out.”

Asked for an update on Lovren's situation he added: "Nice try. Surprisingly, no comment!".

Liverpool face the only other club - Arsenal - with a 100 per cent record after two games at Anfield on Saturday with Klopp dismissing Unai Emery's jokey comment that he "never wanted to play Liverpool!"

Klopp has not lost to the Gunners since arriving in English football - winning five and drawing two of their seven fixtures while scoring 23 goals - at an average of over three a game - and conceding 12.

“He made a joke!," added Klopp. "We cannot make a serious question of it. But we want to be the team nobody wants to play against. We want to be too intense, too quick, too strong, too fast, too greedy, too angry. That’s what we want.

“We have to make ourselves ready for the game, and make people think at the end ‘that was too much for us’.”

As for whether it will be another game full of goals he said he didn't care as long as his team emerged victorious: “I wouldn’t expect it [a high-scoring game], to be honest, although both teams are offense-orientated at least!

“Arsenal will probably change at least two key positions. Probably Pepe will start, which won't make them weaker, and probably Xhaka as well.

“It happened a lot to us in the last few months, we analyse a team and then they play completely different against us. I am not saying Arsenal will, but it makes life tougher, especially in the early stage of the season.

“I know what they did in the first two games, I know what they did against us last season. And each result that gives us three points, I am happy with! I don’t care how often we score.

“If you look at how they set up, they have good footballers in each position and real speed up front. Real speed, wow! That makes it tricky to defend. You have to be brave, play your own football, keep possession. There are a lot of things to consider in this game.

“But that’s why I am looking forward to it. We have to show we are ready again.”

Goalkeeper Alisson Becker and Naby Keita will both be missing for Liverpool again.

“Close? Not that close. Nobody told me I had to consider him [Alisson] for training tomorrow!

“I had lunch with him today, so at least he can eat! He looks in good shape, good mood, but it will take time. I don’t know exactly. No date in my mind, we will give him the time he needs.

“At the beginning he was on crutches, which is normal for his injury, and they are not there now. He walks normal, he can train completely normal compared to a week ago and I think from now it will go quick. How quick, I don’t know.”

As for Keita, he said: "Long term does not mean six months, it means a couple of weeks. No real news, he’s close, but not close enough.”

Alisson's absence means No 2 Adrian will continue in goal despite his mistake at Southampton last week.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red till i die!! » Sat Aug 24, 2019 1:12 pm

It was only a matter of time before this problem surfaced as the change was totally stupid anyway.

If Klopp and Poch along with other managers have a problem with it then they should lobby their bosses because they are the ones who stuck them with it.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby damjan193 » Sat Aug 24, 2019 1:25 pm

To change it only for the PL makes zero sense. It should either be changed golobally or not at all.

Did this really need a new thread though?
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion