The race for FOURTH

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Benny The Noon » Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:34 am

Well I certainly didnt leave the stadium and kept singing

But that was a different Liverpool back then and a situation within one game 8 years ago has no relevance to us getting 4th this season.

You cannot compare the two - 4th is not in our own hands - it's not even close to being in our own hands

We need 3 teams better than us to slip up - we need teams to suddenly start losing games - do people think that's going to happen because one time 8 years ago we came back from 3 nil down !

Some people live in a fairytale land where we are still the same club we were 5 years ago or even 25 years ago.

We haven't finished higher than 7th in 3 seasons - getting 6th will be a bonus. We don't have a chance at 4th.
Benny The Noon

Postby Boocity » Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:03 am

The winter nights must just fly by in your house :D
Boocity
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:32 am

damjan193 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:55 pm wrote:
SouthCoastShankly » Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:06 pm wrote:
damjan193 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:19 pm wrote:Come on guys, just look at the maximum points we can get from all of our remaining fixtures. We can get 27 points max. That would leave us with a total of 72 points at the end of the season. Looking at previous seasons, you'll need at least 70 points to get to 4th. So in order for us to get 4th, we're allowed to draw only one game out of the remaining nine. Since it's possible, I'm not giving up yet cause, you now, that's what football is all about, but looking at it realistically, we have no chance. I just can't see us going on an unbeaten run until the end of the season, never mind winning 90% of those games. We're in good form, but not that good. We'll probably finish 6th.

Errr no  ???

Let's look at the actual stats, last 2 years finishes for 3rd and 4th were -

2011-12
3rd - Arsenal 70pts
4th - Tottenham - 69pts

2010-11
3rd - Man City 71pts
4th - Arsenal 68pts

4th clearly isn't at least 70pts to achieve.

My God, how could have I made such a mistake? It's not 70 points, but 69  :oh: . You're right man, it makes things a whole lot different now.

You need to pick your words better my friend. And yes 1 or 2 points do make a massive difference in the run up to the end of the season, haven't you been watching?

:D
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 7_Kewell » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:37 am

Benny The Noon » Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:34 am wrote:Well I certainly didnt leave the stadium and kept singing

But that was a different Liverpool back then and a situation within one game 8 years ago has no relevance to us getting 4th this season.

You cannot compare the two - 4th is not in our own hands - it's not even close to being in our own hands

We need 3 teams better than us to slip up - we need teams to suddenly start losing games - do people think that's going to happen because one time 8 years ago we came back from 3 nil down !

Some people live in a fairytale land where we are still the same club we were 5 years ago or even 25 years ago.

We haven't finished higher than 7th in 3 seasons - getting 6th will be a bonus. We don't have a chance at 4th.

:laugh:
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kenny Kan » Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:13 pm

Personally, I think any realistic chance of us finishing 4th was ironically gone when Gerrard missed that penalty against West Brom and we went on to lose that game.  :(

Pessimistic I know but that's the way I see it.

All those silly  points dropped (Citeh twice, Arsenal twice, WBA, Neverton - f.ucking ref, the Skanks at home)  :(  :no  :(
Champions of England 2020.

YNWA
Kenny Kan
LFC Super Member

Postby heimdall » Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:31 pm

I had a go at the BBC predictor and had us finishing 4th just about but safely in 5th. It could happen but its a big big ask. Fingers crossed though, I certainly think Spurs, Chelsea and Arsenal will drop more points than us.
heimdall

Postby damjan193 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:34 pm

SouthCoastShankly » Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:32 am wrote:
damjan193 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:55 pm wrote:
SouthCoastShankly » Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:06 pm wrote:Errr no  ???

Let's look at the actual stats, last 2 years finishes for 3rd and 4th were -

2011-12
3rd - Arsenal 70pts
4th - Tottenham - 69pts

2010-11
3rd - Man City 71pts
4th - Arsenal 68pts

4th clearly isn't at least 70pts to achieve.

My God, how could have I made such a mistake? It's not 70 points, but 69  :oh: . You're right man, it makes things a whole lot different now.

You need to pick your words better my friend. And yes 1 or 2 points do make a massive difference in the run up to the end of the season, haven't you been watching?

:D

One or two points don't change the fact that we'll probably need to go on an unbeaten run until the end of the season if we want to reach 4th, which was my whole point. That's 9 games. Add the last 3 wins to those 9 and we'll have to be on an unbeaten run of 12 games when the season ends. We'll also have to win at least 7 of those 9 remaining games (even then we might be short on points). Our unbeaten Premier League record this season has been 3 games.
Like I said, I won't abandon all hope just yet, but it would take a f*cking miracle to achieve this.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby Thommo's perm » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:48 pm

Thommo's perm » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:56 pm wrote:
dundreamin » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:53 pm wrote:IS OVER. IT,S OVER get my drift

You comfort yourself with that thought if you want
I have seen many "certainties" in football through the years, so I will not say its over until its impossible
:;):

Ahem
:eyebrow
Thommo's perm

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:31 am

damjan193
One or two points don't change the fact that we'll probably need to go on an unbeaten run until the end of the season if we want to reach 4th, which was my whole point. That's 9 games. Add the last 3 wins to those 9 and we'll have to be on an unbeaten run of 12 games when the season ends. We'll also have to win at least 7 of those 9 remaining games (even then we might be short on points). Our unbeaten Premier League record this season has been 3 games.
Like I said, I won't abandon all hope just yet, but it would take a f*cking miracle to achieve this.

we are a totally different side now though compared to the one earlier in the season.
back then we had 17 and 18 year old players like sterling, suso and wisdom who were regular starters so it`s no wonder we had problems with consistency. thats without mentioning players like sahin and borini who also got game time in the prem early on in the season.
the january transfer window has improved us immeasurably.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Basil » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:47 am

This is our first season with a new manager and a new system, we got rid of a load of experienced players to reduce the wage bill. We played half a season short of a couple of forwards and had to bring in youngsters to bolster the squad. We've had some bad luck with decisions and made some costly mistakes, our two most experienced players are coming to the end of their careers.

Despite all this we're still in with an outside chance of 4th place with 9 games to go, we should finish at least 6th. Whatever happens this first season was always going to be about building a foundation and pushing on from there over the next couple of seasons.

I think we might get 5th if we can get a good run together but I haven't given up hope of 4th, you have to believe until the very end.
Basil

Postby Boocity » Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:28 am

Basil » Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:47 am wrote:This is our first season with a new manager and a new system, we got rid of a load of experienced players to reduce the wage bill. We played half a season short of a couple of forwards and had to bring in youngsters to bolster the squad. We've had some bad luck with decisions and made some costly mistakes, our two most experienced players are coming to the end of their careers.

Despite all this we're still in with an outside chance of 4th place with 9 games to go, we should finish at least 6th. Whatever happens this first season was always going to be about building a foundation and pushing on from there over the next couple of seasons.

I think we might get 5th if we can get a good run together but I haven't given up hope of 4th, you have to believe until the very end.

Good post :nod
Boocity
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Thommo's perm » Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:33 am

Benny The Noon » Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:34 am wrote:Well I certainly didnt leave the stadium and kept singing

Do you think that by saying "the glass is 8/16ths empty" it sounds less full?
Thommo's perm

Postby devaney » Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:01 pm

Boocity » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:28 am wrote:
Basil » Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:47 am wrote:This is our first season with a new manager and a new system, we got rid of a load of experienced players to reduce the wage bill. We played half a season short of a couple of forwards and had to bring in youngsters to bolster the squad. We've had some bad luck with decisions and made some costly mistakes, our two most experienced players are coming to the end of their careers.

Good post :nod

Seconded !!
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby devaney » Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:10 pm

Thommo's perm » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:33 am wrote:

Sh.it that will confuse the sad, whinging fukwit !! Sorry that should read attendee  :grinning:  He's back to his old very depressing tricks of trying to unrail threads with his incredibly sanctimonious I'm always right and utterly boring attitude. He disappeared for three months. Either the rash has cleared up or he has been banned from RAWK  :laugh: Just wish he would fk off with all his depressing shight.
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby Benny The Noon » Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:54 pm

devaney » Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:10 pm wrote:
Thommo's perm » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:33 am wrote:

Sh.it that will confuse the sad, whinging fukwit !! Sorry that should read attendee  :grinning:  He's back to his old very depressing tricks of trying to unrail threads with his incredibly sanctimonious I'm always right and utterly boring attitude. He disappeared for three months. Either the rash has cleared up or he has been banned from RAWK  :laugh: Just wish he would fk off with all his depressing shight.

Sad Whinging Fukwit ! Interesting words there.

And that is the main reason why this place is dead - because of people like you who post those insults towards people.

I have just posted my opinion - its obviously an opinion that people like you cant handle hence you resort to just throwing insults at people.

Please try and behave like an adult. And if you must throw insults at people at the very least try and spell them correctly.

Also try and understand that not everyone has the same opinion as you and people are fully entitled to voice their opinion without the need for them to be attacked for it.
Benny The Noon

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion