Failure to finish fourth - What would it mean?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby mkingdom » Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:43 pm

We could not have predicted fully the opportunity we have been presented with this year.

United's dire form (long may it continue, ten more years for Moyes!) has left a slot open. I think the top three are away and gone and we are in the driving seat for that remaining slot.

Should we not, we surely won't get a better chance than we have now.  United will not fall away forever, sooner or later they will either replace Moyes and/or spend enormous sums to improve.  Chelsea and City are literally out of our league in terms of the squad they can attract and maintain, and Arsenal haven't missed the top four for about sixteen years.

If we succeed, Suarez stays, and we are able to build a squad more able to push up the table and hopefully in time for the title.

With Suarez gone, and he will and should leave, we may have £70m to spend, but I fear that will go on half a dozen "propsects" at £15m each rather than the two high quality signings it should. Down that path perpetual 7th lies.
mkingdom

Postby leeroy74 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:44 pm

I think 4th place is the key to investment in the summer. It's as clear as the nose on JHenrys face that qualification into the CL means we need to bulk the squad up and invest in a world class player or 2. If we dont make it then they may well be reluctant to invest and we'll try again next season. However, in this scenario they'll be bracing themselves for a suarez exit which means a sizable lump of cash coming into the club that can be turned into players. they're on a win-win really.
they play a dangerous game but if it pays off we'll be winning!
leeroy74
LFC Super Member

Postby Stu the Red » Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:05 pm

mkingdom » Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:43 pm wrote:We could not have predicted fully the opportunity we have been presented with this year.

United's dire form (long may it continue, ten more years for Moyes!) has left a slot open. I think the top three are away and gone and we are in the driving seat for that remaining slot.

Should we not, we surely won't get a better chance than we have now.  United will not fall away forever, sooner or later they will either replace Moyes and/or spend enormous sums to improve.  Chelsea and City are literally out of our league in terms of the squad they can attract and maintain, and Arsenal haven't missed the top four for about sixteen years.

If we succeed, Suarez stays, and we are able to build a squad more able to push up the table and hopefully in time for the title.

With Suarez gone, and he will and should leave, we may have £70m to spend, but I fear that will go on half a dozen "propsects" at £15m each rather than the two high quality signings it should. Down that path perpetual 7th lies.

We've performed slightly above expectations in all honesty, but not by much, most of it is due to the spectacular decline of Man Utd, however, we have been good enough to take advantage of that, which in previous seasons, we wouldn't have been.

However, fourth, would still be a decent acheivement. The reality is though as many have already said, failure from the position we were in would be awful. The fact is we'd need a complete rebuilding job should we fail to achieve 4th.

We should have invested in January, majorly in my opinion as this is our best chance in years. I do fear though, if it doesn't happen this year, it could be many many years before we have another chance as good.
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:15 pm

Stu the Red » Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:05 pm wrote:
mkingdom » Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:43 pm wrote:We could not have predicted fully the opportunity we have been presented with this year.

We've performed slightly above expectations in all honesty, but not by much, most of it is due to the spectacular decline of Man Utd, however, we have been good enough to take advantage of that, which in previous seasons, we wouldn't have been.

However, fourth, would still be a decent acheivement. The reality is though as many have already said, failure from the position we were in would be awful. The fact is we'd need a complete rebuilding job should we fail to achieve 4th.

We should have invested in January, majorly in my opinion as this is our best chance in years. I do fear though, if it doesn't happen this year, it could be many many years before we have another chance as good.

I agree ,good post .
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC1990 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:22 pm

Without CL football next year it would be distaraous.

Suarez would definitely leave and maybe Coutinho. Howver thats isnt the biggest problem. With Citeh and Chelsea throwing money around the players to improve our squad are getting tougher and tougher to persuade joining.

However to flip it on its head if we were to gain CL football I honestly think We would become a massive force in the transfer market again.

The name Liverpool is massive anyway and with playing CL football and the chance to play in the same side as Suarez would be a massive selling point especially for the young south americans.

The master and his apprentice
LFC1990
LFC Super Member

Postby damjan193 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:05 pm

What happens if we finish 4th but Man U. win the CL? :D Now that would be a fckin disaster

Anyway, I agree with mostly everything that's been said above.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby LFC1990 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:16 pm

Could you imagine. Now that would be probably the worse thing ever

The master and his apprentice
LFC1990
LFC Super Member

Postby laza » Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:32 am

Of course it would be a disaster if we didn't finish fourth though I would say if that did occur. Then post mortem probably shouldn't focus on January window which despite our recent success is fairly problematic getting the right player at right price. I look at our transfer business during the summer

All academic anyway while my summer prediction of champions may not come to fruition I'm still confident of us getting a CL place with our maligned squad under stewardship of our maligned owners  :D

Unless Damjan nightmare scenario comes true and doesn't bear thinking about
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 7_Kewell » Sat Feb 08, 2014 2:41 pm

how about failure to win the league?   :nod
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kazza » Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:55 pm

No reason to be talking about not making CL football next year. I would rather focus on the higher probability of how much better than fourth can we get  :;):
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby metalhead » Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:05 pm

4th place is ours to lose now
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:03 pm

kazza » Sat Feb 08, 2014 2:55 pm wrote:No reason to be talking about not making CL football next year. I would rather focus on the higher probability of how much better than fourth can we get  :;):

Keep yer feet on the ground mate. Disappointing against West Brom and Outstanding against Arsenal, yer never quite know when this team of ours will show up and turn it on.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby kazza » Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:10 pm

woof woof ! » Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:03 pm wrote:
kazza » Sat Feb 08, 2014 2:55 pm wrote:No reason to be talking about not making CL football next year. I would rather focus on the higher probability of how much better than fourth can we get  :;):

Keep yer feet on the ground mate. Disappointing against West Brom and Outstanding against Arsenal, yer never quite know when this team of ours will show up and turn it on.

It is just that looking at the games remaining, we have got seven wins in us and that will practically guarantee CL football. I think I am being realistic.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion