If we don't get fourth?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Stu the Red » Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:05 pm

I was reading another topic and it got me thinking.

Is this club in the last chance saloon before being plunged into 20 years or more of mediocrity?

A massive statement, but one I think we'd be foolish to not consider as there are early signs developing.

The reason I ask is fear that if we don't achieve a champions league place this season, are we ever going to see great players gracing the anfield turf again?

Since I was a child (I'm 30) we've always had a few players in the team that other great teams in Europe would absolutely kill for. Owen, Fowler, Suarez, Rush, Gerrard, Torres etc etc etc. Now, for the first time in years... beyond Luis and Stevie (who is right at the end of his career) there isn't anyone else that stands out. There is maybe an arguement for Coutinho, but lets be honest, he's not an absolute given to get into any of the other sides in and around the top four, infact, I don't believe he would be a regular at any as they all have players as good if not currently better (thats not saying Coutinho is a bad player).

In the past, we've always been able to point out to potential targets... come here and you can play with the greats such as Sami, Stevie and Torres. If we fail to get fourth... who are we going to say that about  to potential new signings? Its pretty much a given if we fail, Suarez is gone.

I like Enrique and think he's excellent, as I do with Coutinho... but you aren't going to go try and get some great players in through the door and say come here and you can play with a 34 year old Gerrard (some would have you believe he's 50 :D ) Coutinho, Enrique and Sturridge....

Its just not the same.

The other thing is, without champions league, the funding is going to limited further still. (God help us if anymore is wasted). This again to any potential targets would put them off, they may look at Liverpool's transfer business over the last few years and see that we aren't heading in the right direction...Also we will lose even more attractiveness (is that right? :D ) to the top players as its "another year" out of europes elite...

For me, its worrying.

How does everyone else feel?
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby metalhead » Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:37 pm

Well it's a worry for every LFC fan Stu, but it all depends on the manager to make it right, even if we fail to get top 4 this season. What I mean by right I mean spending 10m on right players not 15m on Allen or 12m on Borini. I'm also feeling optimistic that in our own academy that we might have a few gems of our own who can be as good as Owen, Fowler, Gerrard, Mcmanaman, Carra etc... So my hopes are hinging more on our academy. The owners have to play a part too, they might have made tons of mistakes with Comolli and technical director bullcrap, but maybe if they set up the club in the right way also bringing a core of ex players to help in any shape or form (chairman etc..) it might help
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red till i die!! » Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:25 pm

metalhead » Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:37 pm wrote:Well it's a worry for every LFC fan Stu, but it all depends on the manager to make it right, even if we fail to get top 4 this season. What I mean by right I mean spending 10m on right players not 15m on Allen or 12m on Borini. I'm also feeling optimistic that in our own academy that we might have a few gems of our own who can be as good as Owen, Fowler, Gerrard, Mcmanaman, Carra etc... So my hopes are hinging more on our academy. The owners have to play a part too, they might have made tons of mistakes with Comolli and technical director bullcrap, but maybe if they set up the club in the right way also bringing a core of ex players to help in any shape or form (chairman etc..) it might help

pretty much this.
we need a proper board with proper football people on it not just ayre and a direct line to boston.
rodgers needs to be getting better players in than what he has been. on the academy though i agree the players could be there but it all depends on what rodgers fancies from it. i mean looking at flanagan and kelly back when they first broke on to the scene around 2010 you would have though by now they would be sufficient squad players. neither has really got a chance under rodgers so far because he prefers wisdom. suso going on loan is a strange one as he played in some pretty big fixtures last season and would be good enough now. teixeira is a fine player, is 20 now and instead BR bought alberto (also 20)which will limit his chances of breaking through.
maybe a notable dof would be the way to go, someone like van gaal would be my choice.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby Benny The Noon » Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:28 pm

If we don't get 4th we will lose Suarez

Possibly also will lose Coutinho and maybe Sturridge

The longer we are away from CL the harder it will be to get back in.

We need generous owners and a top quality manager to get back into the CL IMO
Benny The Noon

Postby Doeboy » Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:34 pm

Don't think it's the end of the world if we don't get 4th, you can still attract a decent level of player. For example, spurs have only made CL once and still seem to be able to attract quality players (granted they had money to spend this summer which we didn't but you still have to convince the player to come). I just find the way we go about our business in the transfer market doesn't always make sense. Sometimes it seems we start the groundwork for potential signings when the season ends where a lot of other clubs have started the process weeks or even months before the season ends.

Also found it a bit strange BR coming out and saying we had strengthened the squad first and after that we would look to sign first team players. We are at a stage where the priority is the first team and for example we need to bring in one player that may cost us £20m plus rather than a couple of players that cost us say £7-12m to each. That's not to say you can't pick up first team players in the latter range, but you need to be more selective and most likely from a smaller pool. I know we tried for the Mikithyran, Willian (seemed a bit opportunistic) and Costa for the first team but I'm sure there are other alternatives out there which we should have done our homework on. I know we shouldn't spend just for the sake of it, but maybe we need to cast our net a bit wider because the players are definitely out there.

I've no doubt we can still attract good players regardless of CL, but we just need to be shrewder in the marker IMO
Doeboy

Postby Stu the Red » Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:35 am

Doeboy » Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:34 pm wrote:Don't think it's the end of the world if we don't get 4th, you can still attract a decent level of player. For example, spurs have only made CL once and still seem to be able to attract quality players (granted they had money to spend this summer which we didn't but you still have to convince the player to come). I just find the way we go about our business in the transfer market doesn't always make sense. Sometimes it seems we start the groundwork for potential signings when the season ends where a lot of other clubs have started the process weeks or even months before the season ends.

Also found it a bit strange BR coming out and saying we had strengthened the squad first and after that we would look to sign first team players. We are at a stage where the priority is the first team and for example we need to bring in one player that may cost us £20m plus rather than a couple of players that cost us say £7-12m to each. That's not to say you can't pick up first team players in the latter range, but you need to be more selective and most likely from a smaller pool. I know we tried for the Mikithyran, Willian (seemed a bit opportunistic) and Costa for the first team but I'm sure there are other alternatives out there which we should have done our homework on. I know we shouldn't spend just for the sake of it, but maybe we need to cast our net a bit wider because the players are definitely out there.

I've no doubt we can still attract good players regardless of CL, but we just need to be shrewder in the marker IMO

The difference is though mate Tottenham's a London club and they're knocking on the door every season... London (wrongly) is viewed as more glamorous and a "better place to be" than Liverpool. I know from a professional point of view which club I'd be more interested in and unfortunately, Tottenham will pay the wages aswell. Effectively thats who we're going to be competing with.

Liverpool also aren't knocking on the door of the champions league, in truth, we're miles off every season.

The risk is with signing a player for £20,000,000 that if he gets injured... you're pretty much where you left off. Also, if he turns out to be poor down to poor judgement then you lose a massive amount of money.

Allen and Borini spring to mind, I must admit aswell, three games in and Sahko has me extremely worried, I really don't see a player in there. That could be £40,000,000 wasted in two seasons which in truth, for me is enough to get Rodgers the sack.

I am extremely worried at the moment. A couple of weeks ago the cracks were papered over and everyone was having a pop at me telling me how silly I was being... I really hope I've underestimated our side... but in truth, I firmly believe I haven't.
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion