The race for FOURTH

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby South East Kop » Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:58 pm

What really gets on my tits is why oh why do we (players and manager) start talking ourselves up.  All week i've read we are going to push for a european place, 9 cup finals etc etc and then bang we lose.  It happens every time, dont people learn.  Surely i was not the only person that knew todays result was inevitable?

Take ONE POXY F'in game at a time and do not talk as if you can win the champs league before you've even won the f'in league!

I'm going to get 6 numbers on the lotto tonight - any deluded folks out there believe it's going to happen!
South East Kop

Postby damjan193 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:32 pm

Well technically, we were allowed 2 draws (= one loss). So we just have to win the remaining 8 games :D. It will be no good though, if the likes of Everton gain full points against opposition like Man City, even with a man down and 30 minutes until the end of the match.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby Penguins » Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:53 pm

Well, at least we are 1 pt ahead of WBA for 7th, at the moment....
Penguins
LFC Super Member

Postby Doeboy » Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:56 pm

I always maintained talk of 4th was unrealistic even after the decent run we've had.  I'll be quite happy finishing 6th this season and think we will do it. It's all about next season for me. BR will have had a good look at all our squad and know who he needs to move on and area's he needs to improve. This is going to be a critical summer for us and if BR get's the proper backing in the summer, it will be up to BR to deliver and if we are this far off from top 4 this time next year then that would be unacceptable and you would think he would be given his marching orders, if not before then.
Doeboy

Postby friendlyguy33 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:46 pm

It's pretty much over particularly after Spurs home defeat by Fulham today. If we'd won yesterday we'd now be six points off fourth. As it is we're still nine points adrift. Arsenal are very much in the running now and I won't be surprised to see them push Spurs all the way for that fourth spot.

This was really not the weekend to drop more points having beaten Spurs last sunday. Brendan said we would get stronger in the second half of the season. Sorry I can't see it after Old Trafford, West Brom at home and yesterday. Europa qualification should be our primary focus until the end of the season. 69 points may not even be enough for fourth even if we did win all the remaining games.
friendlyguy33

Postby LFC1990 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:49 am

Do we not have a chance for Europa league because of the fair play league

The master and his apprentice
LFC1990
LFC Super Member

Postby Benny The Noon » Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:56 am

We have had a red card this year so pretty much no chance - certainly scraping the barrel

http://espnfc.com/stats/fairplay?league=eng.1&cc=5739

9th with 40 odd yellow cards and two red cards
Last edited by Benny The Noon on Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Benny The Noon

Postby LFC1990 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:57 am

so has every other team

LFC1990
LFC Super Member

Postby LFC1990 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:58 am

were currently 3rd behind Tottenham and Arsenal both pretty mucg guaranteed european football

LFC1990
LFC Super Member

Postby Benny The Noon » Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:02 am

And even if we were top it wouldn't make a difference - we aren't in the top3 countries in UEFA

http://www.uefa.com/uefa/socialresponsi ... 11234.html

Looking for a European spot via Fair Play for us is quite embarrassing
Benny The Noon

Postby LFC1990 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:04 am

And what other way do we get in?

LFC1990
LFC Super Member

Postby Benny The Noon » Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:05 am

By winning matches - if we don't win enough then we don't get in. You earn qualification via your performances - if they aren't good enough then you don't earn qualification.
Benny The Noon

Postby Reg » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:36 pm

'Pressure of top-four target too much for Liverpool' says club's psychiatrist Steve Peters
Thursday 28 March 2013

The sports psychiatrist who has been employed by Liverpool to replicate the methods which have played a huge part in British Cycling's Olympic success has urged the club to make a Premier League title or top-four finish an aspiration rather than a concrete goal.

In his first public discussion of his role working with the Liverpool manager, Brendan Rodgers, Dr Steve Peters told The Independent that 10 players have sought him out and that he believes the 23-man first-team squad will only heap unnecessary pressure on themselves by targeting a specific league position – or deciding how much longer they must wait to clinch the title which has become an Anfield obsession in the 23 years since the club last won one.

"A goal is something you must be able to control and you can't control [your place] in the league," Peters said. "It depends on how others play, not just you. You always like to influence things and influence as much as you can but accept that most things in life are a dream. They're not guaranteed to happen."

Peters, the Sheffield University scientist who was hired last October to work a day per week with Liverpool and was subsequently also appointed to work for UK Athletics with performance director Neil Black, said that his role in football created tougher challenges than those he encountered at UK Cycling, including the need to get a majority of the players to work with him. "If I go to a team with 10 people and only five work with me then I am absolutely limited in what I can do with the team," Peters said. "The [Liverpool] players are trickling in one at a time, gaining benefit, buying in and feeling it can work for them. But it has to be on an individual basis."

The 59-year-old does not view his role as one of inculcating a team ethic at Anfield. "From my perspective in sport I am not sure that's the psych's job," he said. "It is indirectly but I think the manager is the key person."
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 7_Kewell » Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:33 pm

sadly we're far too inconsistant to challenge for the top 4, at least for this season.

To get it we'd have to win EVERY match from now until the summer, and it's not going to happen.  I'm hopeful for a top 5 tho
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jacdaniel » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:19 am

3 games in particular have cost us big this season.  Villa, west brom and southampton. 
Win them games and at the moment we'd be joint 3rd.  (Didnt bother checking goal difference) 

Hell, even if we'd have taken 4 or 5 points we'd still be in with a big shout.
"When you walk, through a storm, hold your head up high"
jacdaniel
LFC Super Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion