The race for FOURTH

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Benny The Noon » Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:41 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:24 pm wrote:
Benny The Noon » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:17 am wrote:6th is prob going to be our best hope unless Arsenal fall apart

i wouldnt rule out 4th just yet, chelsea are 7 points ahead of us but they do have to come to anfield, if we win that (admittedly a big if) the gap is down to 4 points which is nothing.
on paper we have 2 tough games left against everton and chelsea (both at home) where as chelsea still have to play spurs (H), liverpool (A), manchester united (A) and everton (H).
no one is saying 4th is in the bag or anything remotely like that but on the other hand i wouldnt throw the towel in just yet either.
our next 4 games are southampton (A), villa (A), west ham (H) and reading (A), tricky games but all winnable especially given our current form. if we pick up maximum points from those games we will definately be closer to at least one of the 2 favourites for 3/4 th place because chelsea and spurs play each other the weekend we play reading.

Chelsea also have a game in hand over us.

We wont get 4th - not a chance - not even a slim chance.

There is a very slim chance we might sneak 5th - very slim
Benny The Noon

Postby damjan193 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:19 pm

Come on guys, just look at the maximum points we can get from all of our remaining fixtures. We can get 27 points max. That would leave us with a total of 72 points at the end of the season. Looking at previous seasons, you'll need at least 70 points to get to 4th. So in order for us to get 4th, we're allowed to draw only one game out of the remaining nine. Since it's possible, I'm not giving up yet cause, you now, that's what football is all about, but looking at it realistically, we have no chance. I just can't see us going on an unbeaten run until the end of the season, never mind winning 90% of those games. We're in good form, but not that good. We'll probably finish 6th.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby Boocity » Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:58 pm

Benny The Noon » Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:41 pm wrote:
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:24 pm wrote:
Benny The Noon » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:17 am wrote:6th is prob going to be our best hope unless Arsenal fall apart

i wouldnt rule out 4th just yet, chelsea are 7 points ahead of us but they do have to come to anfield, if we win that (admittedly a big if) the gap is down to 4 points which is nothing.
on paper we have 2 tough games left against everton and chelsea (both at home) where as chelsea still have to play spurs (H), liverpool (A), manchester united (A) and everton (H).
no one is saying 4th is in the bag or anything remotely like that but on the other hand i wouldnt throw the towel in just yet either.
our next 4 games are southampton (A), villa (A), west ham (H) and reading (A), tricky games but all winnable especially given our current form. if we pick up maximum points from those games we will definately be closer to at least one of the 2 favourites for 3/4 th place because chelsea and spurs play each other the weekend we play reading.

Chelsea also have a game in hand over us.

We wont get 4th - not a chance - not even a slim chance.

There is a very slim chance we might sneak 5th - very slim

Give it a rest will you Benny, we can all have a bit of optimism, keeps the season alive, you're a real doom & gloom merchant.
Boocity
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Benny The Noon » Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:02 pm

It's not doom and gloom - it's reality
Benny The Noon

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:06 pm

damjan193 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:19 pm wrote:Come on guys, just look at the maximum points we can get from all of our remaining fixtures. We can get 27 points max. That would leave us with a total of 72 points at the end of the season. Looking at previous seasons, you'll need at least 70 points to get to 4th. So in order for us to get 4th, we're allowed to draw only one game out of the remaining nine. Since it's possible, I'm not giving up yet cause, you now, that's what football is all about, but looking at it realistically, we have no chance. I just can't see us going on an unbeaten run until the end of the season, never mind winning 90% of those games. We're in good form, but not that good. We'll probably finish 6th.

Errr no  ???

Let's look at the actual stats, last 2 years finishes for 3rd and 4th were -

2011-12
3rd - Arsenal 70pts
4th - Tottenham - 69pts

2010-11
3rd - Man City 71pts
4th - Arsenal 68pts

4th clearly isn't at least 70pts to achieve.
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Boocity » Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:36 pm

Benny The Noon » Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:02 pm wrote:It's not doom and gloom - it's reality

Its not reality its guessing the future with a pessimistic view.
Boocity
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Benny The Noon » Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:38 pm

Boocity » Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:36 pm wrote:
Benny The Noon » Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:02 pm wrote:It's not doom and gloom - it's reality

Well I think it's a "guess" based on a solid foundation though - dont you.
Benny The Noon

Postby Boocity » Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:51 pm

Benny The Noon » Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:38 pm wrote:

No I don't, based on your 'solid foundation' the league might as well finish today as there will be no changes (or a very slim chance of changes) in league position, I think we will have to agree to disagree, don't you.
Boocity
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Benny The Noon » Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:03 pm

Guess we will see at the end of the season
Benny The Noon

Postby friendlyguy33 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:16 pm

In terms of fourth if we win the next three (Southampton, Villa, West Ham) and Spurs draw two from three (Fulham, Swansea, Everton) that would put us 5 points behind and give us a chance with 6 games left. If Chelsea also drop points in their next three games (West Ham, Southampton, Sunderland) that would also open things up even more but as they have a game in hand it makes it more difficult to catch them.
friendlyguy33

Postby Eagle » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:40 pm

Lots of crazy ifs and buts in this thread. 4th is mathematically possible but very unlikely, 5th is difficult but achievable with good form for the rest of the season, and 6th shouldn’t be too difficult.
Eagle

Postby damjan193 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:55 am

SouthCoastShankly » Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:06 pm wrote:
damjan193 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:19 pm wrote:Come on guys, just look at the maximum points we can get from all of our remaining fixtures. We can get 27 points max. That would leave us with a total of 72 points at the end of the season. Looking at previous seasons, you'll need at least 70 points to get to 4th. So in order for us to get 4th, we're allowed to draw only one game out of the remaining nine. Since it's possible, I'm not giving up yet cause, you now, that's what football is all about, but looking at it realistically, we have no chance. I just can't see us going on an unbeaten run until the end of the season, never mind winning 90% of those games. We're in good form, but not that good. We'll probably finish 6th.

Errr no  ???

2011-12
3rd - Arsenal 70pts
4th - Tottenham - 69pts

2010-11
3rd - Man City 71pts
4th - Arsenal 68pts

My God, how could have I made such a mistake? It's not 70 points, but 69  :oh: . You're right man, it makes things a whole lot different now.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:29 am

Benny The Noon » Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:38 pm wrote:

what was your guess at half time in istanbul?
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby kazza » Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:25 am

:laugh:  No doubt he kept faith in the team and KNEW that when Didi came on at half time we were going to do it, all the while singing "you'll never walk alone" and "Rafa Rafael, Rafa Rafael".
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kazza » Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:32 am

SouthCoastShankly » Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:06 pm wrote:

Errr no  ???

2011-12
3rd - Arsenal 70pts
4th - Tottenham - 69pts

2010-11
3rd - Man City 71pts
4th - Arsenal 68pts

If we win all our matches we'll have 72 points and have a good chance, frankly I do not see why not. Not easy but possible, I just hope the players have enough desire to not let it slip away.  Also if the team did manage 72 points and still not get it I think all fans will still be proud of the team and it can only help the confidence for next year assuming the team stays relatively the same. The only thing we have left to play for is winning every match.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion