The race for FOURTH

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby 7_Kewell » Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:38 pm

So, following today's result, we now FOUR points from 4th place. 

It’s a remarkable situation following our awful start to the season and a testament to our new manager that he has kept us in the pack with just one striker.

So what’s everyone’s opinion on the race for fourth?  Personally, i think with a couple of quality signings, we could do it. WBA won’t stay up there and Chelsea are all over the place, like Arsenal and Spurs.

CL football for us next season is possible...but only with backing!
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Boocity » Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:48 pm

Winning the next two home games is a must, our next 5 games are all very winnable and we should be looking at putting a run together over these games to get us in a good position because after that we have a difficult run of games with Utd, Arsenal and City all away
Boocity
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:51 pm

The team is still too unbalanced. Not thinking about 4th at all this season folks.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 7_Kewell » Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:52 pm

tubby » Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:51 pm wrote:The team is still too unbalanced. Not thinking about 4th at all this season folks.

dream lad, dream!  :eyebrow
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Fowler_E7 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:07 pm

no chance of us coming fourth, were far too inconsistent, dont defend well enough and dont score enough goals
Fowler_E7
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 7_Kewell » Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:16 pm

Fowler_E7 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:07 pm wrote:no chance of us coming fourth, were far too inconsistent, dont defend well enough and dont score enough goals

don't agree. I think two quality signings in Jan could be a turning point. What's more, half the league are inconsistent, and that includes Arsenal, Chelsea, Spurs and Everton.  Our next 5 games are winnable
Villa (h)
Fulham (h)
Stoke (a)
QPR (a)
Sunderland (h)

I'm going to go out on a ledge and say we'll be FOURTH come new years day...
Last edited by 7_Kewell on Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:24 pm

Let's get those players in first and see what's possible after that. If we get the right players and build on a little run sure it's possible.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Redtribe » Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:57 pm

I would say it's very do-able.
Lucas is back and that's a big plus for us and should start to help us defensively, plus some of our fringe players have started to show a bit more quality Henderson, Shelvey and Cole all had a say in us getting the win in our last two games.

If we can get two good signings to help help us convert more chances i would say we have as good a shot as anyone in the top half of getting the 4th spot.
So why not go for it, everyone is inconsistent this year, lets hope we have put our indifferent start to the season to one side now.

If we can get a run going towards Christmas we could be well in the mix and considering how shakey Chelsea are at present even third may not be a million miles off.
Lets just see how we go in the next few games and pray that we get some backing in the January window.

I wouldn't have said 4th was acheivable at the start of the season, but considering how tight the league is this year and how many points the usual top 6 are dropping it is possible.
I won't be upset if we do not get there, as long as we keep building and growing then all is good.
Top 6 definitely, top 4?
Yeah why not!!!
Redtribe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Greavesie » Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:01 pm

7_Kewell » Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:16 pm wrote:
Fowler_E7 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:07 pm wrote:no chance of us coming fourth, were far too inconsistent, dont defend well enough and dont score enough goals

don't agree. I think two quality signings in Jan could be a turning point. What's more, half the league are inconsistent, and that includes Arsenal, Chelsea, Spurs and Everton.  Our next 5 games are winnable
Villa (h)
Fulham (h)
Stoke (a)
QPR (a)
Sunderland (h)

I'm going to go out on a ledge and say we'll be FOURTH come new years day...

COME ON!!!  :buttrock  :buttrock

Nice to see some positivity in here. Everyone says we're a one man side, well we coped without him today, not that I'm saying we could do it consistently but still. Credit to the lads for knuckling under today
All round the fields of Anfield Road
Where once we watched the King Kenny play (and could he play!)
Stevie Heighway on the wing
We had dreams and songs to sing
'Bout the glory, round the Fields of Anfield Road

JFT 96 - Gone but never forgotten
YNWA 15/4/1989
God Bless You All
Greavesie

Postby JC_81 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:19 pm

Only 7 points separate 3rd and 12th, with us sitting 10th on 22 points (equal with 11th and 12th).

The league is wide open for someone to put a run together and claim 4th or even 3rd (there has been so much upheaval at Chelsea I don't think they're nailed on for 3rd).

I just don't think it will be us though.  There are more settled teams with better depth such as Arsenal and Spurs.  I expect us to finish above Swansea, Stoke and West Brom who are still ahead of us, but Everton are a tough nut to crack this season too and also have a much more settled team than us (albeit they have a similar problem with a thin squad).

Is 4th unthinkable?  No.  But we shouldn't start expecting it now and get disappointed if it doesn't happen.  I still have doubts the Yanks will back Rodgers with big money in January.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ethanr » Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:19 pm

4 points back from 4th, and look at how many points we've clearly been robbed of so far this season.  2 against Swans, 2 against Everton, that's our 4 right there.  Plus you look at the united game, the arsenal game, the sunderland game.  All dropped points from dodgy decisions.  If we could get things going our way for once and things turn in the second half, there's no reason we won't at least be in the hunt.  We should in our next 2.  Away to Stoke, I'll be more than happy with a draw as they're one of two who haven't lost at home this season (The other is everton, who should have lost at home to us except for one of the worst decisions Ive ever seen).  Then QPR who are *****, and Sunderland at home, who are also *****. No reason we can't win 4 of our next 5, and if we do I have a sneaking suspicion we'll be at least top 6, but probably top 5.
DESPITE THE FACT I LIVE IN CALIFORNIA...
ethanr

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:00 pm

i cant see us getting 4th mainly because imo as it stands there are (at least) 4 teams that are simply better than us.
we need to sign a catalyst in the january window, someone who will dramatically change the side like keegan did in 71.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Basil » Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:39 pm

Let's just beat Villa in the next match and not get carried away.
Basil

Postby 7_Kewell » Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:40 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:00 pm wrote:i cant see us getting 4th mainly because imo as it stands there are (at least) 4 teams that are simply better than us.
we need to sign a catalyst in the january window, someone who will dramatically change the side like keegan did in 71.

that's my point, some good players in Jan and we could transform some of those draws into wins.

I'm not saying we will finish 4th, but it's nice to be in the hunt again.  I said at the start of the season, we needed to be within touching distance of 4th place by xmas, and we're on course to do that. Of course, we could get stuffed against Villa and be back to square 1. But, on paper, it looks primising. hence my prediction for us being in 4th place by new year's day.
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Boxscarf » Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:00 am

tubby » Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:51 pm wrote:The team is still too unbalanced. Not thinking about 4th at all this season folks.

Same here, anything better than last seasons 8th finish is fine by me.
Boxscarf

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion