STEVEN GERRARD - Official Thread

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby RedAnt » Thu May 14, 2015 8:12 am

kazza » Thu May 14, 2015 6:50 am wrote:
RedAnt » Thu May 14, 2015 6:26 am wrote:I won't disrespect the legend by going on about BR but I can't help but feel under a different manager Gerrard would still have a lot to offer. I'd say he's still our best all-round player, a living legend who should still be at his home club. He will be missed. Maybe the last of the footballers from an almost bygone age.

Not sure about that. He has had many injuries over the course of his career and that has nothing to do with the current manager. 35 is old for a defender but a box to box midfielder is asking a lot. He cannot play at that high level anymore and him leaving is a necessity for the team to move forward, as sad as it is. This situation was always going to happen. Now we just need a long them replacement.

Like many, I feel he should have been used better. Hugely versatile, inspirational and very dangerous from the edge of the box. As a utility player from the bench I reckon he could have very useful. Maybe he doesn't have the stamina he once had, but he's still a very effective footballer. I don't see the point in removing SG as an option from LFC. Anyway, it's done and I wish him luck.
"The S*n: The paper you wipe your ars.e on and more sh*t comes off the paper"
RedAnt

Postby RedAnt » Thu May 14, 2015 8:17 am

In my opinion it's like giving a way a family heirloom. Might not have all that much practical use any more, but it's been there so long and it's an emblem of the family. A rare icon one can never replace. Why give it away? It's not just sentimentality though. It still has a purpose, even if symbolic. It's like taking the V out of Liverpool or something.
RedAnt

Postby kazza » Thu May 14, 2015 1:40 pm

LFC1990 » Thu May 14, 2015 6:58 am wrote:If Gerrar had played as a box to box midfielder then i would give yo uthat however he hasnt

At the start of the season he was used as a DM and played *****

He was moved to an Attacking midfilder and played fantastic

So naturally when he recovered from his injury he went back to a DM

Lampard, Pirlo, Xavi,Alonso,  are all round the same age as Gerrard 2 of them will be playing in the CL final andone of the other played in the semis

Manage your players well and you will get the best out of them

You are talking about the last couple of years and I am talking about 18 years before that. He has had many operations and scar tissue develops. He had major issues on his groin throughout his career and those operations really affect mobility. You cannot compare one player to another as they are built differently and have each had their own injuries which affect their mobility in different ways. Bottom line is every player retires and clubs need to make the adjustments. I'm not sad he is going to MLS but I'm sad he will no longer be the player he was.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby C-R » Thu May 14, 2015 2:23 pm

Try and watch this without a Tear in your eye, a true legend  :bowdown

C-R
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Thu May 14, 2015 3:48 pm

RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Thommo's perm » Thu May 14, 2015 9:37 pm

He is a living legend, the best player to wear a Red shirt, the best player there has ever been in the Premier League and a loyal, reliable. unique, special player and person.
We will NEVER see his like again
:bowdown  :sniffle
Thommo's perm

Postby RedAnt » Thu May 14, 2015 10:04 pm

Thommo's perm » Thu May 14, 2015 8:37 pm wrote:He is a living legend, the best player to wear a Red shirt, the best player there has ever been in the Premier League and a loyal, reliable. unique, special player and person.

Agreed! He totally has a winning mentality :nod :D
RedAnt

Postby Thommo's perm » Thu May 14, 2015 11:42 pm

RedAnt wrote:
Thommo's perm » Thu May 14, 2015 8:37 pm wrote:He is a living legend, the best player to wear a Red shirt, the best player there has ever been in the Premier League and a loyal, reliable. unique, special player and person.

Agreed! He totally has a winning mentality :nod :D

Except in the title race
:eyebrow
Thommo's perm

Postby RedAnt » Fri May 15, 2015 10:49 am

There's a funny article on the BBC called One Club, One Hairstyle. Gerrards had the same hairstyle since he made his first appearance :D
RedAnt

Postby C-R » Fri May 15, 2015 11:06 am

RedAnt » Fri May 15, 2015 9:49 am wrote:There's a funny article on the BBC called One Club, One Hairstyle. Gerrards had the same hairstyle since he made his first appearance :D

I saw that mate, but he has had 2 really, he was skinhead for a while and of course his actual current hairstyle - should complain to the bbeb  :nod
C-R
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RedAnt » Fri May 15, 2015 11:24 am

C-R » Fri May 15, 2015 10:06 am wrote:
RedAnt » Fri May 15, 2015 9:49 am wrote:There's a funny article on the BBC called One Club, One Hairstyle. Gerrards had the same hairstyle since he made his first appearance :D

I saw that mate, but he has had 2 really, he was skinhead for a while and of course his actual current hairstyle - should complain to the bbeb  :nod

Yeah, I thought he had a skinhead. But then maybe it grows into his normal style so it's technically accurate :D
RedAnt

Postby parchpea » Fri May 15, 2015 11:27 am

Hope the 'slip' songs stop too and wont miss those.

Best will in the world its been tedious and must affect players involved last season.
parchpea
LFC Super Member

Postby Dundreamin is back » Fri May 15, 2015 11:41 am

That man gave me the best night of my life as a LFC fan. Istanbul 25th May 2005 I still get emotional when I see it. And the homecoming oh what a night. Then to put the icing on the cake the Friday night in Bootle in the Hypa Bar and Yates with CARRA. and walking on air that summer. I remember saying to myself many many times that summer. We are the CHAMPIONS OF EUROPE!! Now 10 years on i am going to watch the 3 Cunard ship's sailing up the Mersey from the roof of the Malmaison Hotel then into town to celebrate on 25th May 2015. Although i am not in the best of health I wouldn't miss that day for the world
Dundreamin is back
LFC Advanced Member

Postby Reg » Fri May 15, 2015 12:30 pm

I'm waiting for Rafael.

If there's one fella who knew StevieG, how to play him, his impact on Torres and the team and no doubt loved him to death, it's Rafa.

I'll wait but if anyone does burst into tears it'll be Rafa.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby C-R » Fri May 15, 2015 7:10 pm

Pilro talking about SG...

C-R
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion