Silly season in transfer market! - But what would you do...?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Fauxy » Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:01 pm

James beattie hahaha dont think so. Would rather Sammy Lee played as lone striker
Fauxy

Postby Benny The Noon » Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:04 pm

James Beattie now ?!?! Jesus who next
Benny The Noon

Postby Benny The Noon » Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:07 pm

Lecce offer £1million for Liverpool youngster Krisztian Nemeth after failing to break through at Anfield

Lecce have made a £1million bid for Liverpool youngster Krisztian Nemeth.

The 21-year-old came to England from MTK Hungaria amid much fanfare three years ago, with the Reds' official website still describing him as 'one of the most exciting prospects on Liverpool's books'.

However, Nemeth has failed to break through to the first time despite impressing for the reserves and he spent last season on loan at AEK Athens - scoring three goals in 18 appearances.

Lecce hope to sign him as part of plans to build a squad capable of staying in Serie A.
Nemeth has impressed as a youth international and helped Hungary to third place at the Under 20 World Cup last year. In May he won his first full international cap during a 3-0 defeat by Germany.
Benny The Noon

Postby Igor Zidane » Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:07 pm

bigmick wrote:
Scottbot wrote:Not that i'm gonna get too excited about it but i've always rated Scharner as a decent pro who is well suited to Premiership football. The funny thing is with us Liverpool fans is that we're far happier signing a player unknown to us than a steady player who's been doing a decent job in the league for a number of years. Unfashionable players like a Jimmy Bullard, Scott Parker or a Figoerua get slated but we've got players like Lucas and Insua who have proved to be no more (or not nearly as) effective. We were getting linked with James Milner 12-18 months ago and everyone absolutely slated it, he wasn't a fashionable signing, and we all knew too much about him, not a top 4 player etc but he's had an excellent season at Villa and suddenly they're rejecting £20 million + bids from City to keep him.

There's some decent players players out there and hopefully we've got a manager with the nous to pick up a couple of bargains. Coz we're buggered if he can't!

Good shout Scott. The Wigan left back is actually no news to anybody who has watched a bit of football over the last couple of seasons. He's very much like Valencia, the World and his brother have had a look and it's just a question of who goes in and buys him. In the case of Valencia, I know some on here laughed at the signing initially but by the end of the season he looked like a really good player. I think he was absolutely instrumental in the Mancs outperforming where many people (including me) thought they would finish without Ronaldo.

Anyway, I really like the left back and have talked about him before, and I like Sharner too. If Sharner is being bought to be a first team regualr then obviously we have a problem, but if as I suspect we are looking at him as a Kyriacos type squad player, i think it's a good move.

Mick did we watch the same player last season . We are talking about Antonio Valencia aren't we . You seriously think he had a good season for the mancs . Thought he was dogsh!t meself like . Scharner and figaroa are also dogshIt . They will not and would not improve are first 11 ,if we manage to keep them . Can you actually believe we're debating the merrits of this :censored: instead of actually trying to sign quality players. If we sign (and i still don't think we will) this calibre of player . WE are deffo talking mid-table mediocrity next season . Now if we manage to keep all our top players and don't sign another player i would be more happy . I would rather sign noone than sign dogsh1te like that lot .
UP THE PURPS !!!
https://www.colfc.co.uk/
Igor Zidane
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:40 pm

Igor if you thought Valencia was dogsh!te then we must have been watching a different player fecking hell :D. Figaroa is a good player player too mate. It must be those years living in NZ and having nothing but re-runs of live Monday night Premiership games but I've actually seen Wigan play a few times, matches in their entirity. Figaroa or whatever the feck it is is definately a good player mate. He is absolutely different class to Insua, not mentionable in the same breath (although my get out clause is our man may improve :laugh:).

But no, Valencia. I can only guess that you are allowing your understandable dislike of all things Manc to cloud your views mate. I don't know what the stats are, but he had a good few times when he made goals for Rooney, and his pace is frightening.
Last edited by bigmick on Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Fauxy » Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:52 pm

Gotta agree with Mick here ... Valencia created a hell of a lot of chances for the mancs, he's not that great in front of goal but he almost always gets past his man and gets a cross away.

And Figueroa has been fantastic for Wigan.
Fauxy

Postby Benny The Noon » Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:00 pm

Valencia was decent last year nothing spectacular - Figueroa is a solid decent left back same as scharner is a solid prem player - as been mentioned it does show the stat of our club - before we used to be linked to the best - augero , villa ,silva etc now it's mid table solid players plus people like Beattie - it's prob mainly rubbish but shows are standing has diminished even in press .
Benny The Noon

Postby andy_g » Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:09 pm

Benny The Noon wrote:before we used to be linked to the best - augero , villa ,silva etc now it's mid table solid players plus people like Beattie - it's prob mainly rubbish but shows are standing has diminished even in press .

i think it just shows that its common knowledge we haven't got a pot to píss in. if and when any combination of torres, gerrard and mascherano gets sold i'm sure the rumours will link us with slightly more glamorous names again.
Last edited by andy_g on Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:34 pm

Benny The Noon wrote:Valencia was decent last year nothing spectacular - Figueroa is a solid decent left back same as scharner is a solid prem player .

On Scharner we agree, but on Valencia and Figoroa we are miles apart. That's Ok though, it's a forum and everyones entitled etc etc.

I don't know about "showing the state of our club" though. The previous manager bought successfully from the Premiership with an unfashionable player in Peter Crouch, they are out there.

In the case of Figoroa, like I say everyone has looked at him and he's been touted for ages. People on here may not be that familiar with him, but at 6 mill or whatever the quoted price is, he's barely even a risk.

As far as valencia is concerned, it's obviously all opinions but those who say he wasn't top notch in the second half of the season are much more against accepted opinion than I am by saying he was. I thought he was just about the best right sided player in the Premiership to be honest (infact off the top of my head I can't think of anyone who even came close to him), but once again it's all down to personal tastes I suppose.
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:44 pm

I'm sure Torres will be admiring his World Cup Winners medal and thinking of cutting his holiday short in the growing anticipation... and lets not forget excitement of playing in the same team as such winners as Scharner and Beattie,  Fernando will barely be able to reel in the euphoria he is obviously feeling over these marquee signings .........What   a team Roy is forging ... he must be frittering away all of his tuck shop money , he is certainly going all out to impress us fans  ???
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Benny The Noon » Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:21 pm

bigmick wrote:
Benny The Noon wrote:Valencia was decent last year nothing spectacular - Figueroa is a solid decent left back same as scharner is a solid prem player .

On Scharner we agree, but on Valencia and Figoroa we are miles apart. That's Ok though, it's a forum and everyones entitled etc etc.

I don't know about "showing the state of our club" though. The previous manager bought successfully from the Premiership with an unfashionable player in Peter Crouch, they are out there.

In the case of Figoroa, like I say everyone has looked at him and he's been touted for ages. People on here may not be that familiar with him, but at 6 mill or whatever the quoted price is, he's barely even a risk.

As far as valencia is concerned, it's obviously all opinions but those who say he wasn't top notch in the second half of the season are much more against accepted opinion than I am by saying he was. I thought he was just about the best right sided player in the Premiership to be honest (infact off the top of my head I can't think of anyone who even came close to him), but once again it's all down to personal tastes I suppose.

Which ever way its dressed up they arent players you  look for when you want to improve as a team - figuaroa just looked a solid left back and may well be an improvement on insua but scharner ?! is he really a player a team looks for when they have ambitions to improve in the prem ? not for me im afraid - he is being looked at becuase he is solid and free and nothing more - someone to fill a gap . If we had any ambition or money he wouldnt be touched with a barge pole and as for beattie - well i wouldnt be surprised if he does turn up on the cheap as well .
Benny The Noon

Postby bigmick » Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:51 pm

I don't mean this flippantly, but have we actually signed any of these players yet? Every time I log on I see we're supposedly linked with such and such, which prompts everyone to fear the worst, but we haven't actually signed anyone yet I don't think. Even if we did sign some of these players, people ought to consider that we have a squad which is very light numerically. We only have one left back for instance, and even he is reputed to be on his way. If Masherano goes, we only have three central midfielders, one of whom is Aquilani who is a bit liable to injury to say the least. Up top, aside from Torres (who is injured), we are pretty light whichever way you look at it.

It's not as if we only need one player to make the squad balanced, we need quite a few. Now its just maybe possible that the new manager is filling some holes in the squad with free transfers, blokes who are proven and solid Premiership performers, in order to preserve some funds for a couple of decent sized purchases. It may also be the case that the plan is to fill the team up with free transfers and sell all our better players I suppose, but I don't think it's likely.

As things stand, before I get too depressed I'd say this: James Beattie and Cisse and Bryan Ruiz (probably in hs case, I've never seen him play) are all better than N'Gog. N'Gog would otherwise be starting the season as our number one/two available striker (if you count Babel and/or Kuyt). Fingerola or whatever the feck his name is is a much better left back than Insua. Paul Sharner is a solid back up player, and a vast improvement on Jay Spearing who would be first in line should we get a couple of injuries.

It's not all bad when you really look at it, that's all I'm saying.
Last edited by bigmick on Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Benny The Noon » Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:13 pm

But its still disappointing to see Mick - its not the sort of players i want at the club to get us challenging again as i believe they arent good enough - but i believe its about the best we can do at the moment
Benny The Noon

Postby Igor Zidane » Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:14 pm

Valencia had about four good games for the mancs , he was anonymous in europe . The only thing that made valencia look half decent was the pile of cack playing on the other wing in NANI . Ok i was bit OT with Figaroa ,but he's only decent . I'd say Aurelio when fit shat all over him . Insua is young and played far to many games last season for my liking . When he lost form there was noone to bring in to give him a rest or give him a chance to get his confidence back . So he was just played and played because there wasn't really an option . I agree with mick when he say's we don't know who's coming . If i'm honest i reckon not one player out of the pile of cack we've been linked with so far will end up at LFC . I think the priority is to keep as many of the top players as we can and go from there .
UP THE PURPS !!!
https://www.colfc.co.uk/
Igor Zidane
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Scottbot » Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:33 pm

jacdaniel wrote:
Scottbot wrote:Not that i'm gonna get too excited about it but i've always rated Scharner as a decent pro who is well suited to Premiership football. The funny thing is with us Liverpool fans is that we're far happier signing a player unknown to us than a steady player who's been doing a decent job in the league for a number of years. Unfashionable players like a Jimmy Bullard, Scott Parker or a Figoerua get slated but we've got players like Lucas and Insua who have proved to be no more (or not nearly as) effective. We were getting linked with James Milner 12-18 months ago and everyone absolutely slated it, he wasn't a fashionable signing, and we all knew too much about him, not a top 4 player etc but he's had an excellent season at Villa and suddenly they're rejecting £20 million + bids from City to keep him.

There's some decent players players out there and hopefully we've got a manager with the nous to pick up a couple of bargains. Coz we're buggered if he can't!

I somewhat agree but we have also signed some English/PL players that turned out sh.ite.

Pennant, Kewell, Bellamy, heskey, Robbie Keane.
Even Johnson is not looking so good.

playing at a big club is a big step up.

it is essential though that the manager finds a few decent bargains cos he won't have much to spend.

Agree on that, Rafa had a few stabs at signing players who had done it in the Premier League with the guys you've mentioned plus you can add the likes of Crouch and Zenden to that list as well. But they're still out there. Spurs signed Aaron Lennon for less than £2 mill I think, Villa picked up Milner for a very reasonable price and Everton picked up Cahill and Lecott on the cheap. We desperately need the manager to pull a rabbit or two out of hats this summer.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion