How good is rafa in the transfer market?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

How good is rafa in the transfer market?

Brilliant
No votes
Good
46%
Ok
31%
Poor
19%
Hopeless
4%

Total votes : 48

Postby Fauxy » Fri Jun 05, 2009 2:46 pm

A few of my mates the other day said that Rafa was rubbish in the transfer market, mentioning flops such as Keane, Lucas and Dossena.

I told them he has signed players such as Torres, Reina, Agger and Garcia so he cant be that bad..

The list goes on for both good and bad signings that Rafa has made but what are your thoughts?

:lookaround
Fauxy

Postby SupitsJonF » Fri Jun 05, 2009 2:58 pm

Until the club can get some good owners, I don't think it's really a fair question.  Over the years, he's had some absolute outstanding buys and flops, but  think we are all seeing now the kind of :censored: he has to go through with the current owners.
SupitsJonF

Postby GYBS » Fri Jun 05, 2009 3:46 pm

Overall i think he has been good - has signed a few bums and a few signings havent worked out that we all thought would . But he has also signed some world class stars .
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Madmax » Fri Jun 05, 2009 4:01 pm

Would say good...  TBH majority of managers sign good players and shyte ones aswel... No-one really has a 100% clean record.... Rafa has equiped some talent i must say..
Madmax
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:18 pm

I think he has been excellent in the Spanish market......Reina, Alonso, Torres all outstanding signings, with the failures such as Morientes and Josemi costing us little in comparison. 

I think the problem he has had, have been when buying in other markets. Masch has been a great buy, but most of the others while decent were perhaps not the best options in hindsight. We could argue all day about who we could have signed, should have signed.

Again its not all down to Rafa (although the buck stops with him) there are a lot of scouts who need to pull up their socks as well. Dossena, Degan, Babel plus so many of the reserves (especially players we had never heard of and probably never will again once they leave.)
account deleted by request

Postby lakes10 » Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:33 pm

wow even for me this is a very hard one.
from time to time he has been :censored: but then he hits the jackpot, i think i must have to say poor and thats based on the amout of young kids he has taken to the club that will never do anything and the way he treated Keane
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:39 pm

Why is it people always have to have a reason to pop off at him? Especially with whats going on right now, people need to be a bit more posative. We have a world class striker in Torres and we almost won the league. Enough said. Have some faith people. Rafa is having to compete with the rest with half the budget.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Espionage » Sat Jun 06, 2009 5:17 am

Fauxy wrote:A few of my mates the other day said that Rafa was rubbish in the transfer market, mentioning flops such as Keane, Lucas and Dossena.

I told them he has signed players such as Torres, Reina, Agger and Garcia so he cant be that bad..

The list goes on for both good and bad signings that Rafa has made but what are your thoughts?

:lookaround

Throw Crouch and Momo in there. Arbeloa was a great little buy as well. Even Bellamy made us some money.
Espionage
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 112-1077774096 » Sat Jun 06, 2009 5:48 am

bavlondon wrote:Why is it people always have to have a reason to pop off at him? Especially with whats going on right now, people need to be a bit more posative. We have a world class striker in Torres and we almost won the league. Enough said. Have some faith people. Rafa is having to compete with the rest with half the budget.

But it didnt take a genius to spot that torres was world class mate, the thanks for signing him should go to the owners for coughing up the cash.
112-1077774096

Postby Lando_Griffin » Sat Jun 06, 2009 7:42 am

peewee wrote:
bavlondon wrote:Why is it people always have to have a reason to pop off at him? Especially with whats going on right now, people need to be a bit more posative. We have a world class striker in Torres and we almost won the league. Enough said. Have some faith people. Rafa is having to compete with the rest with half the budget.

But it didnt take a genius to spot that torres was world class mate, the thanks for signing him should go to the owners for coughing up the cash.

I don't remember the clamour from Chelsea, Man Utd, Arsenal, AC Milan, Barca, Real, Juve, Inter, et al trying to hijack the transfer, though...

Come to think of it, there wasn't a great deal of interest in the lad on here until the armband incident.

I do love your attempts to belittle the gaffer at every turn.

It is HIGHLY amusing...

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Sat Jun 06, 2009 7:46 am

Torres was a top buy, no question about it. Even the Spaniards on this forum didn't expect him to be anything like the success he was, so he has proven to be a top buy. I think in the main the manager has bought pretty well, but all judgements can't really include last Summer or it skews it a bit. I would be very surprised if in the history of the club we have had a transfer window quite as bad as that one, but apart from that he has done pretty well.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lando_Griffin » Sat Jun 06, 2009 7:54 am

bigmick wrote:Torres was a top buy, no question about it. Even the Spaniards on this forum didn't expect him to be anything like the success he was, so he has proven to be a top buy. I think in the main the manager has bought pretty well, but all judgements can't really include last Summer or it skews it a bit. I would be very surprised if in the history of the club we have had a transfer window quite as bad as that one, but apart from that he has done pretty well.

Diouf.

Diao.

Cheyrou.

Vs

Keane.

Riera.

Degen.

Dossena.

I'd take last summer over the Diouf fiasco any day.

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 112-1077774096 » Sat Jun 06, 2009 8:40 am

Lando_Griffin wrote:
peewee wrote:

I don't remember the clamour from Chelsea, Man Utd, Arsenal, AC Milan, Barca, Real, Juve, Inter, et al trying to hijack the transfer, though...

Come to think of it, there wasn't a great deal of interest in the lad on here until the armband incident.

I do love your attempts to belittle the gaffer at every turn.

It is HIGHLY amusing...

the gaffer who has won feck all the past three seasons, doesnt take to belittle him really does it
112-1077774096

Postby dawson99 » Sat Jun 06, 2009 8:50 am

Yeah, and that Wenger's sh!t n'all!!!
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 112-1077774096 » Sat Jun 06, 2009 8:54 am

that wenger who has won the premier league and managed an unbeaten season
112-1077774096

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion