Silly season in transfer market! - But what would you do...?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby rocky29 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:33 am

we need quality players. We have 3 players mash torres and stevie. We must in my opinion part exchange all of three and get 3 experienced players back. Like real we could do a deal for benzama. Mash we could do a deal plus cash cambiasso and torres get 5o million plus adebayor from man city. I know ulot will slate me for adebayor but i just think he could do a good job for us.
rocky29
LFC Super Member

Postby Scottbot » Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:56 am

john craig wrote:Here's some players I would definitely be considering.

Joe Cole
Stephen Ireland
Shaun Wright-Phillips
David Bentley
Alexander Hleb
Mathieu Flamini
Asamoah Gyan

Anyone else think Flamini would be an excellent replacement for Mascherano if he goes?  The lad was brilliant in that role in his final season with Arsenal, but has now completely disappeared off the radar at Milan, never gets a game when fit.  Must still only be mid-twenties.

Bentley is another one I was thinking about.  He seems like a bit of a tw@t off the pitch, but undoubtedly has talent.  I'd take him on the cheap or on a season long loan if we could do it.  Redknapp clearly doesn't rate him at Spurs.  With the right manager though, and if he bucks up his act, he's young enough to rediscover his form of a few seasons ago.

Good list that mate. would love to see Joe Cole but I think that's unlikely but players like Hleb and Flamini who have come a bit unstuck since leaving Arsenal are both good shouts. I like Gyan as well but I think he's the sort of player we'll end up signing if the club sell Torres. Bentley not a bad shoult either. Hodgson has to buy clever so that means players at the end (or in the final year) of their contracts, or players who have suffered a dip in form and transfer value.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby andy_g » Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:58 am

rocky29 wrote:we need quality players. We have 3 players mash torres and stevie. We must in my opinion part exchange all of three and get 3 experienced players back. Like real we could do a deal for benzama. Mash we could do a deal plus cash cambiasso and torres get 5o million plus adebayor from man city. I know ulot will slate me for adebayor but i just think he could do a good job for us.

we only have 3 quality players. so the best thing to do is exchange them for three not quite as good players.

right.

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby rocky29 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:08 am

andy_g wrote:
rocky29 wrote:we need quality players. We have 3 players mash torres and stevie. We must in my opinion part exchange all of three and get 3 experienced players back. Like real we could do a deal for benzama. Mash we could do a deal plus cash cambiasso and torres get 5o million plus adebayor from man city. I know ulot will slate me for adebayor but i just think he could do a good job for us.

we only have 3 quality players. so the best thing to do is exchange them for three not quite as good players.

right.

all im saying if and its a big if. If all three want to leave. Lets be cunning and careful. As the transfer money we get might go to pay off debt.
rocky29
LFC Super Member

Postby Aussie Style » Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:34 am

Fauxy wrote:Yesss Contrao would be amazing for us. He got 8 assists for Benfica last season, pretty good for a left back.

Only thing is he would probably cost a sh!t load after that world cup.

Looked good didn't he? Unfortunately his release clause is €30 million and City are already sniffing around.
Aussie Style
LFC Super Member

Postby bigmick » Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:37 am

[quote="Benny The Noon"]The question people will have to ask themselves is - which players will come to a club not in CL - for me the top players won't - you can forget players like cambiasso and Joe cole - Woy will be looking to bring in solid prem players not stars.

I've got to agree with Benny here. It's hardly Roys fault that we barely qualified for the Europa League Cup never mind the Champions League, but the fact we finished 7th inevitably makes it harder to both retain and purchase players. Some of us have been saying that for a while.

I also agree with Rocky that we should be cunning and careful. I'm not sure what he means, but I like the sentiment. I'm going to add a couple of words of my own (are they adverbs, feck knows). Not only do I think we should be cunning and careful, I think we should be forceful and daring as well. I was going to add dashing in as I've never used that word before, but I thought that might be overdoing it a bit.
Last edited by bigmick on Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby andy_g » Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:40 am

i'd happily sacrifice being careful cunning, forceful and daring if we could be dashing.

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jacdaniel » Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:15 pm

Not looking great for Cole

More: Spurs transfer news and rumours

But Redknapp, who was manager at West Ham United when Cole came up through the youth system, said he is hopeful the player will agree a deal to move to White Hart Lane above the Emirates Stadium or Eastlands.

"I managed Joe before, and we have always had a good relationship," Redknapp told ESPN.

"I know what makes Joe tick and it's his love of the game, and his need to be playing it. That is what I am offering him.

"I have spoken with Joe at length and I would like him and, when we talked, he appreciated my view that Tottenham is now a club going places."

Redknapp admitted Spurs may not have the same clout in terms of wages as clubs such as Manchester City, who have already signed up Barcelona's Yaya Toure and Valencia's David Silva on salaries thought to be around £200,000 a week.

But he said he is hoping 'other factors will come into play to make up Joe's mind'.

"I would like Joe here with me, but it is now up to the club, up to Joe and his agent and his dad," he added.

"Our chairman, Daniel Levy, is talking to them to try to do a deal."

Cole has also held talks with Arsenal in recent days and looks most likely to sign for one of the two north London clubs before the new Premier League season begins.
"When you walk, through a storm, hold your head up high"
jacdaniel
LFC Super Member

Postby jacdaniel » Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:20 pm

Liverpool fans hoping that their new boss would be given a decent amount of cash to play around with in the transfer market may not be too pleased with this latest bit of speculation, indeed some may feel that this pair are the kind of signings that Roy Hodgson may indeed have planned whilst Fulham boss but may feel that neither represent the kind of players a team aiming for the top four should be linked with.

In the case of out of contract Austrian Paul Scharner that is definitely the case. The 30 year old former Wigan man would love to move to Anfield and indeed the utility player sees such a move as a ‘dream’ one but is he really any better than those players in the Liverpool squad who do not get into the first team reckoning? Surely the answer to that question is a resounding ‘no’.

Marseille wide man Taye Taiwo may be a slightly different kettle of fish. The 25 year old Nigerian international is a very good attacking left back and one who is continually linked with a move to the Premier League but having just secured his first league title at the south of France side may indeed feel that the time is not right to leave a potential Champions League push under Didier Deschamps.

Perhaps one of the reasons the Merseyside club took Hodgson was his ability to work with a relatively small budget, something the veteran boss had to do even though his former club was bank rolled by Harrods owner Mohamed Al Fayed.

Neither of these potential signings will get Liverpool fans too excited but nonetheless if Hodgson isn’t handed a large transfer windfall then this is what they may have to get used to.
jacdaniel
LFC Super Member

Postby redmikey » Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:50 pm

paul scharner, james bettie, cissie,   omg just off to some some rope!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! . woy wouldn't do that to me surely.  lucas and insua goin is a mistake, would rather lose dirk for decent money and albert and el zar
redmikey
LFC Super Member

Postby jacdaniel » Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:56 pm

i read today that Nemeth might get sold to Lecce for 1m.
For years we've had lots of potentially good youngsters but they always end up getting sold for 1m or so after 10 loan spells.

i think Ayala is possibly gone or going too.  and obviously it looks like Insua is on his way.  (after being the only player to break into the team for a season for years).
jacdaniel
LFC Super Member

Postby Scottbot » Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:15 pm

Not that i'm gonna get too excited about it but i've always rated Scharner as a decent pro who is well suited to Premiership football. The funny thing is with us Liverpool fans is that we're far happier signing a player unknown to us than a steady player who's been doing a decent job in the league for a number of years. Unfashionable players like a Jimmy Bullard, Scott Parker or a Figoerua get slated but we've got players like Lucas and Insua who have proved to be no more (or not nearly as) effective. We were getting linked with James Milner 12-18 months ago and everyone absolutely slated it, he wasn't a fashionable signing, and we all knew too much about him, not a top 4 player etc but he's had an excellent season at Villa and suddenly they're rejecting £20 million + bids from City to keep him.

There's some decent players players out there and hopefully we've got a manager with the nous to pick up a couple of bargains. Coz we're buggered if he can't!
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:20 pm

Scottbot wrote:Not that i'm gonna get too excited about it but i've always rated Scharner as a decent pro who is well suited to Premiership football. The funny thing is with us Liverpool fans is that we're far happier signing a player unknown to us than a steady player who's been doing a decent job in the league for a number of years. Unfashionable players like a Jimmy Bullard, Scott Parker or a Figoerua get slated but we've got players like Lucas and Insua who have proved to be no more (or not nearly as) effective. We were getting linked with James Milner 12-18 months ago and everyone absolutely slated it, he wasn't a fashionable signing, and we all knew too much about him, not a top 4 player etc but he's had an excellent season at Villa and suddenly they're rejecting £20 million + bids from City to keep him.

There's some decent players players out there and hopefully we've got a manager with the nous to pick up a couple of bargains. Coz we're buggered if he can't!

Good shout Scott. The Wigan left back is actually no news to anybody who has watched a bit of football over the last couple of seasons. He's very much like Valencia, the World and his brother have had a look and it's just a question of who goes in and buys him. In the case of Valencia, I know some on here laughed at the signing initially but by the end of the season he looked like a really good player. I think he was absolutely instrumental in the Mancs outperforming where many people (including me) thought they would finish without Ronaldo.

Anyway, I really like the left back and have talked about him before, and I like Sharner too. If Sharner is being bought to be a first team regualr then obviously we have a problem, but if as I suspect we are looking at him as a Kyriacos type squad player, i think it's a good move.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jacdaniel » Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:25 pm

Scottbot wrote:Not that i'm gonna get too excited about it but i've always rated Scharner as a decent pro who is well suited to Premiership football. The funny thing is with us Liverpool fans is that we're far happier signing a player unknown to us than a steady player who's been doing a decent job in the league for a number of years. Unfashionable players like a Jimmy Bullard, Scott Parker or a Figoerua get slated but we've got players like Lucas and Insua who have proved to be no more (or not nearly as) effective. We were getting linked with James Milner 12-18 months ago and everyone absolutely slated it, he wasn't a fashionable signing, and we all knew too much about him, not a top 4 player etc but he's had an excellent season at Villa and suddenly they're rejecting £20 million + bids from City to keep him.

I somewhat agree but we have also signed some English/PL players that turned out sh.ite.

Pennant, Kewell, Bellamy, heskey, Robbie Keane.
Even Johnson is not looking so good.

playing at a big club is a big step up.

it is essential though that the manager finds a few decent bargains cos he won't have much to spend.
jacdaniel
LFC Super Member

Postby Thommo's perm » Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:58 pm

http://www.metro.co.uk/sport/football/834982-james-beattie-lined-up-for-liverpool-transfer-by-new-boss-roy-hodgson

:(
Thommo's perm

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion