Getting value in the transfer market

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby kindaconfuzed » Fri Sep 17, 2004 11:56 am

The recent article in the Sunday Times concerning the David Beckham transfer and how Real got him for a song raises the issue of how players are valued. In reality I think its works by adopting the strategy of getting as much as you can get but in the case of the sale of Beckham it went seriously wrong.

The importance to a club of getting the sale and buying of players right is, I think the single most important aspect of managing the clubs finances. I accept that the lower leagues are more concerned with ticket sales.

Any views?
I'll take on board yer problem but not yer anger
If it aint funny it aint right
I used to have an avatar of a girl rubbing her breasts but it was considered sexist - guys can you just imagine
Still waitin for the call for the ELITE MEMBERS DISCUSSION (forms in the post?)
kindaconfuzed
LFC Elite Member

Postby Redrider » Fri Sep 17, 2004 12:44 pm

Kinda, Right on. This is particularly relevant when so much investment goes into Academies for raising young players. The majority of whom will eventually be sold on.
The fly in the ointment all the time are the Agents, who will be doing deals for their players and also trying to optimise their own return which may be counter to the best interest of the Club's.
But Real Madrid are a classic example of a club that optimises it's purchasing power.
I reckon that LFC. need a sharp cookie, wheeler/dealer to look after the financial side of Player movements, beat up the Agents etc and leave the manager free to concentrate on Team affairs.
Ideal man would be cross between Omar Sharif and the 'Terminator' :blues:
Redrider
LFC Super Member

Postby taff » Fri Sep 17, 2004 1:13 pm

Just supply and demand a player is only worth what a club is prepared to pay.

With the internal British market I would like to see a percentage going to the FA who then distribute that amongst the lower clubs for development centres but this will have to be strictly managed so clubs dont waste the money
taff
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kindaconfuzed » Fri Sep 17, 2004 7:22 pm

Taf

yer got to be an economystic to say that, what we want to know is how do you value a player. We all know what you pay is the price I think its called axiomatic.....anyway why is zidane twice the price of Beckam as an example.
I used to have an avatar of a girl rubbing her breasts but it was considered sexist - guys can you just imagine
kindaconfuzed
LFC Elite Member

Postby kindaconfuzed » Fri Sep 17, 2004 7:23 pm

Red Rider

What a sort of Arther Daley of the football world?
kindaconfuzed
LFC Elite Member

Postby Redrider » Fri Sep 17, 2004 7:37 pm

Kinda,
       Exactly, someone who can outwit the Agents and also negotiate with the Real Madrids of this world.
I am not sure that Rick Parry and David Moores are totally at home with that kind of action. :blues:
Redrider
LFC Super Member

Postby Paul C » Fri Sep 17, 2004 7:38 pm

I agree totally, Agents p1ss me off cos people like Eric Hall just get into players heads about moving just so they can get a share of the money, it's disgusting, in my opinion their worse than lawers and are killing the game :(
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Redrider » Fri Sep 17, 2004 8:00 pm

Fifa, should set a rule that agents are only allowed to charge a standard fee for a player transfer, which must be paid by the player himself. ???
Redrider
LFC Super Member

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion